PDA

View Full Version : Biggest fire magnet in 40k?

Brady
03-09-2009, 12:27
what do you consider to be the biggest fire magnet in standard games of 40k ( not apocalypse ) ? i.e. those units which attract the most fire for any amount of reasons

x-esiv-4c
03-09-2009, 12:29
Deathstrike missile launcher :)

Brady
03-09-2009, 12:29
i'd say its the vendetta/valkyrie because people who are not familiar with it immediatley shoot it because they think its a huge imminent danger. granted it generally does mean imminent danger!

Brady
03-09-2009, 12:30
yeh the DSML is fari enough :]

Arkfatalis
03-09-2009, 12:39
I've got to agree with Valk as people seem to think it's as dangerous as a vendetta and just shoot it. Don't shoot at the big tank but at the flying thing as it's all new and shiny :eek:

Kriegfreak
03-09-2009, 12:41
Demolisher with multi-meltas seems to attract tons of fire - along with my hellhounds.

Gutlord Grom
03-09-2009, 12:42
While no longer as easy to kill as in previous editions, the Land Raider still takes a lot of fire.

Gaargod
03-09-2009, 12:45
Flying Hive Tyrants. I don't know why, i have another 6 monsters in my army, but all the shots always go for the big flying one.

genestealer_baldric
03-09-2009, 12:46
genestealers draw so much fire, it allways make me wonder why a hive fleet would evolve nids with targets painted on the carapace.

Kurisu313
03-09-2009, 12:52
Probably the monolith for two reasons:

1. People are unfamiliar with the army and decide to kill it.

2. Most things can only absorb so much fire until they die. The monolith is the toughest thing in the game, and will therefore take more shots on average.

pyromaster55
03-09-2009, 12:55
genestealers draw so much fire, it allways make me wonder why a hive fleet would evolve nids with targets painted on the carapace.

+1 I always go for genestealers first i've had way to many Terms get killed by stealers before they did anything to make their points back...

my termies always take alot of fire.

primarch16
03-09-2009, 12:55
Land raider must be the ultimate 40k fire magnet IMO.

Inach
03-09-2009, 12:56
Daemon princes (w/ wings) tend to receive massive fire power.
Soulgrinders and Defilers also get huge amounts of attention...

Tau Pathfinders will get massive fire power when I see them :)

Mortified Penguin
03-09-2009, 13:05
People tend to aim for my keeper of secrets and flamers of tzeentch. No love for my flamers ;)

Hypaspist
03-09-2009, 13:08
To be honest *any* monstrous creature (Hive Tyrant with Wings, Daemon Princes, oh how I hate them!) gets a whole lot of ballistic love from any army I am playing.

Land Raiders I ignore as best as I am able based on the likelihood of actually doing something to it I will nail other targets as best I can.
Wraithlords also deserve to die, usually slightly less than the Eldar character giving them conceal.
right tool for the right job is key, small arms fire against monstrous creatures, melta against big scary tanks, and if that doesn't work throw the kitchen sink at them.
P.S. Against Nids I tend to prioritise them as follows.
1) Hive Tyrant w/wings.
2) What's going to charge me next turn. :eek:

T_55
03-09-2009, 13:12
30 ork boys, hello green horde.

But i agree with Hypaspist, most monstrous creatures get their fair share of fire, most often, with good reason.

the_picto
03-09-2009, 13:17
My greater daemons usually get the entire opposing army trying to bring them down. It usually works as well:cries:

The Marshel
03-09-2009, 13:21
when my multimelta attack bike meltgun bike squad was riding up to his devilfish, hammerhead and sky ray, my tau playing friend had a clear priority target...not that it helped him much in the end

Khaunshar
03-09-2009, 13:24
My Repentia Sisters usually draw insane amounts of fire. As a Witch Hunter player, that often means my Exorcists live one or even two rounds more, which means I actually field a small unit of them, just enough to look dangerous, as a fire magnet. Which is funny, because Repentias die quickly in melee combat. Ah well...

Otherwise, Genestealers would be my pick for regular armies. Its just insane how many people seem to suffer from Space Hulk trauma.

ashc
03-09-2009, 13:28
Monstrous creatures.

AV14 tanks.

Nym
03-09-2009, 13:32
Land Raiders tend to attract a disproportionate amount of fire, but mostly from new players who try to take it down with weapons that can't really hurt it (ML, Lascannons, etc..).

A Battlewagon full of Nobz is also a sure way to attract all the anti-tank weapons on the table.

Memnos
03-09-2009, 13:41
Err... This was pretty well answered in the first 2 quotes: The Deathstrike Missile Launcher.

Potentially everyone in a 6 inch -radius (That's twelve inches across) get hit at AP 1, strength 10, no cover save, full strength against vehicles. And it WILL launch if it isn't taken out and it doesn't have a lot of armor.

I will shoot the poo out of the Deathstrike Missile Launcher whenever it gets on the board, as will anyone else who knows what it does because it is a game ender.

Captain Micha
03-09-2009, 13:52
I would say, my Hammerheads.

Second: Leman Russes.

uhmnabra
03-09-2009, 13:52
My rhino, containing Kantor and 9 sternguard is always good for target practise

commander of the marines
03-09-2009, 13:58
Probably the monolith for two reasons:

2. Most things can only absorb so much fire until they die. The monolith is the toughest thing in the game, and will therefore take more shots on average.

that why most people yust phase you out, most of the time it's easier than killing the monolith

Mannimarco
03-09-2009, 14:12
storm shield termies, pour enough fire onto them and your bound to kill some

oh and honourable mention goes to any high level special character (abaddon. calgar. eldrad) just so people can say they killed him

AmasNagol
03-09-2009, 14:22
Always shoot the winged Tyrant first. Then the second Tyrant. Then move on to the Elite Fexes.

Giganthrax
03-09-2009, 14:25
Transports are always high on my list of priorities. Rhinos and land raiders in particular. I try to get every possible melta to take them down.

My MM/HF speeders also get lots of attention from enemy shooting.

vahouth
03-09-2009, 14:27
My top 5 (in random order) would be:
1. Death Company
2. Avatar
3. Any big demon dude.
4. Vindicator
5. Wraithlord-s

Vepr
03-09-2009, 14:28
My hive tyrant always gets a lot of attention especially the dakka version.

Thylacine
03-09-2009, 14:29
The Vindicator.

If a Space Marine army has one you know where your opponent will be aiming for the first two turns. When you put one on the table you can stand back and watch your opponents eyes go from it to his troops, back to the Vindicator, then to his troops.

Look at the older posts and the Vindicator has always been a danger on the table.

Cervantes3773
03-09-2009, 14:36
Monolith, Land Raider, 'Nid synapse creatures, Nobs (especially bikers)

vahouth
03-09-2009, 14:51
Against Necron players in my group, 10 warriors are a bigger fire magnet than the Monolith.
Lesson lerned:angel:

Fist of Crimson
03-09-2009, 15:04
My Dreadnaughts seldom achieve anything. If they don't spend the game cowering behind a rock, they spend the game systematically losing limbs until they run out.

Why do I bother to field them? :rolleyes:

SPYDER68
03-09-2009, 15:09
When i think of fire magents.. i think of tanks that take a beating and can live throu it..

I dont see a tank that can die very easy like the valkyrie to be so much of a fire magnet.

My vote is for the Monolith for overall ability to take a beating.

Leman Russ demolisher varients for the price.. rear armor 11 vs assault with its high front armor for the low cost.

And of Course the Land raider cannot be left out when talking about fire magnets.

Sparda
03-09-2009, 15:13
The Land Raider usually takes all my opponent's AT Fire for the first three turns or so until he decides to focus on my Rhinos that allready deployed thier squads on the objectives :D.

BigBadBull
03-09-2009, 15:20
Monstrous creatures.

AV14 tanks.

LR any flavor....especially the LRC/R

Any Nid over the height of a Guant/Stealer

Monolith since all the special Armor stuff does not work on it and it can move the Crons around to keep them from Faseing out or drop them right on top of you.

Dreads seem to eat up a bunch of fire even thought they can take a while to get in HtH

Tau Hammerheads, Eldar Grav tanks. nuff said , big world of hurt if you let them run a muck

Abbadon

Greater demons... lash ones

Any thing with a melta

Assault Termies

KroSha
03-09-2009, 15:25
It's gotta be said that one of my favourite moments was using a Land Raider as mobile cover to get my Assault Marines into combat with a strung out Guard army. Every single muzzle that had range was pointed at the side of that tank, and it just bounced everything. Then the squad just rolled up the line, taking out almost the whole damn force.

GirathonB
03-09-2009, 15:32
I am confused why anyone is saying the monolith. In the past year, I don't think I have ever seen someone even take a pot shot at the thing, let alone it be a fire magnet.

I am going to go and say winged tyrants and Bloodthirsters. Anything big with wings is very scary for people for some reason :p

Sureshot05
03-09-2009, 15:37
What ever is the newest unit added to the army. I've probably spent a month or two building and painting the unit just to see it go up in smoke on the first turn.

On the other hand I think that's my opponents just winding me up! :p

Ignoring that, the Deathstrike is a true fire magnet, and can drive people up the wall if you hide it well.

Semiazas
03-09-2009, 17:35
Special Characters. Probbably for the idea of having killed someone who's all special and fluff-based and stupidly overpowered (if you guys can't take a hint, I mean Phoneix Lords.. how I hate them)

ReveredChaplainDrake
03-09-2009, 17:38
Lashprince. Amongst Daemon Princes, even telling your opponent that your Prince has Lash is enough to condemn it to fire-eating until it dies.

Kargush
03-09-2009, 18:14
Lashprince. Amongst Daemon Princes, even telling your opponent that your Prince has Lash is enough to condemn it to fire-eating until it dies.

"Guns! Nom nom nom nom nom!" :D

Anyways, I find that any squad that has more than one heavy weapons gets the required attention. My Tacticals only get shot at if they actually pose a threat, but my Devastators...

And, of course, any transport containing any unit what so ever gets it.

Personally, I tend to go down the list of fast assaulters, fast fire support, slow assaulters, slow fire support, anything else. So those Assault Marines get shot before that Devastator squad, unless the Assault Marines merely lurk in the enemy lines.

Corpse
03-09-2009, 18:19
My marks say that the humble Rhino attracts far too much firepower.

Other then that, the typical lash-prince also takes the blows.

Aside from those choices, I would place the snuff on trukks.

Just because the vehicle is easy to get rid of doesn't mean it attracts less firepower then a vehicle that can take more hits. It just happens to die faster, which makes the misconception of attracting more fire.

Vedar
03-09-2009, 18:42
The Masque

Brother Valtarius
03-09-2009, 19:10
With the new edition rules I tend to target all the troops that, as a guard player and with the orders system thats a hell of alot of shots:p, I can as 2 missions out of 3 you can potentially ensure that they cannot win the scenario and the best the can hope for is to force a draw.

However in addition to this as a purely infantry guard player, I just dont really like fielding tanks, I generally target anything with ordanance as it scares the crap out of me :D.

StormWulfen
03-09-2009, 19:27
marneus calgar, but the only good way to kill him is with a lasgun:p

Ulrig
03-09-2009, 19:30
For the army I am playing now, I would have to say genestealers
....outflanking is teh only way to go.

What I target first of my friends army is Land raider(s) first if he brings them, after that any transports. 2x sniperfex usually gets the job done by turn 2 in immobilizing his armored transports.

AFnord
03-09-2009, 19:36
Nobz/meganobz and their transports

Anything that fires ordnance templates (big templates are scary), or alternativley they will make people spend a large portion of the game avoiding them and their field of fire (in particular if it's a new player who faces the ordnance spewing thing).

Genestealers

Defilers

All of these seem to attract more fire than they deserve. They are not bad, not at all, but it's not uncommon to see a more dangerous part of the army go unharmed because people are so afraid of these.

Writerski7
03-09-2009, 19:52
Ironclads seem to be big fire magnets . . . with a meltagun, chainfist, and heavy flamer for those fools in the bunker . . . It soaks up fire from my opponent until it's dead.

Aurellis
03-09-2009, 19:55
I always see Wraithlords and Land Raiders as being the biggest fire magnets. Anything that can be seen as an immediate threat just by it's presence should render your opponent into 'omgz shoot it' mode.

Capt_Jman
03-09-2009, 20:32
In my personal experience, people tend to shoot at whats closest, fastest or biggest. Not nessasraly the most dangerious. Eg a broadside won't be shot at in a persons first time playing tau, while a monolith will be shot a lot at when its your first time vs necrons.

Imperius
03-09-2009, 20:57
Anything BIG. It doesn't even have to be that that threatening at the moment, but when something is is 3-5X bigger than your guys, you want to kill it!

ard boy stu
03-09-2009, 21:08
i play orks and my friends always engage my boyz

CKO
03-09-2009, 21:14
I have to go death company, their free and give them some jump packs and everyone thinks big scary death company. I think they are the best because of their cost(please no they are not free comments).

GimpMaster
03-09-2009, 21:23
For me...

Ang'grath the Unbound and my Hierophant...

and my Landraider

DrDoom
03-09-2009, 21:31
Any Chaos MC with wings and the ability to kill a squad or two in HtH.

And for some reason my Defilers and Soul Grinders seem to attract way more fire than seems appropriate.

Captain DD
03-09-2009, 23:13
Sometimes I go with whichever unit I have the best chance of completely wiping out.

DaSpaceAsians
03-09-2009, 23:30
My converted Leman Russes with barrels that are so long that they are actually longer than the hulls.

Legionary
03-09-2009, 23:43
Leman Russ Demolisher. If it's on the board at the start and survives long enough to fire more than once on the foe, the opposing player has made a game-ending mistake.

MasterDecoy
03-09-2009, 23:48
i'd have to go with fex's.

people just seem to freak out when they see them.

guillimansknight
03-09-2009, 23:50
Space Marines

Firaxin
03-09-2009, 23:55
Assuming your opponent isn't stupid, Winged Tyrants.

AlmightyNocturnus
04-09-2009, 00:05
I always shoot the Genestealers first, even when not playing against Tyranids (just kidding). Let`s see...in each of my armies, the biggest "fire-magnets" are:

Chaos Marines: winged Daemon Prince, turbo-boosting Bikes
Blood Angels: Death Company (at the exclusion of all else)!
Daemons: Fiends of Slaanesh, Flamers aren`t very popular either.
Imperial Guard: Hellhounds...and the Cyclops!

Fire Harte
04-09-2009, 00:48
Flyrants and bettlefex.

Also big ork mobz, which is a problem because there are lots!

Vaul
04-09-2009, 00:55
Nob Bikers

LonelyPath
04-09-2009, 01:12
For me it's always my GK grand master and bodyguard, entire armies will fire at it. Other than that i tend to find armour in general the target of alot of firepower.

hawo0313
04-09-2009, 01:49
Anything that you know wont be killed by what you throw at it i.e Monolith, land raider Eldrad Ulthuan with fortune the list goes on

Cadian144
04-09-2009, 02:03
more or less the same as what others have said. My Guard boys, if I field a DSL tank, or tanks, they take fire. Same with if I put anything in the air my valks and vendettas.

For Tau I find my pirranas get shot to "$!tt:D" quick like....:(

AussieSocks
04-09-2009, 02:30
FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or failing that, any farseer with the balls to step onto my 6x4 little square of death will have 8-9 multi-lasers sent it's way. str6 insta-killing a farseer almost makes up for fortune.

what a retarded psychic power

Absolutionis
04-09-2009, 03:25
My Winged Hive Tyrant rarely fails to attract a ton of fire.
It is a MC, it flies, and it carries 12 TL reroll-wound shots of death.

It allows the rest of the army time to move forward.

On the bright side, I have long since learned that enemies love targetting it with everything they can, so I jump it from cover to cover whenever possible.

horst
04-09-2009, 04:17
The biggest fire magnet in any army is the fateweaver....

the reason being is that its just stupid to fire at anything else, when they all re-roll every save, and they will always get some kind of save. and unlike land raiders, ANY weapon in the game can damage a fateweaver, so it will attract the fire of the ENTIRE enemy army.

Filthy O'Bedlam
04-09-2009, 05:14
Gotta be either Carnifexes of Land Raiders. Probably Land Raiders because of how expensive it is points wise, and usually contains something nasty.

Cheers, Filthy

Pooky
04-09-2009, 05:39
The biggest fire magnet would be... anything your oppoent doesn't like the look of! :P

From experience I find it's the following:

Chaos Space Marines/ Space Marines: Land Raider
I don't like the vehicle, and if the unit inside gets the charge then I am in double trouble

Necrons: Monolith
There ain't may other vehicles for me to shoot here...

Tyranids: Any MC, especially Hive Tyrants
I just like to shoot these since they are the scariest looking :D

Dust King
04-09-2009, 05:41
Broodlords, they start out close, if they get into combat they can go through enemy units without even slowing down. Seriously nothings more satisfying than seeing your opponent spend half his first turns shooting at the broodlord only to get charged by the hormagaunts he's neglected to finish.

great fun ;)

MajorWesJanson
04-09-2009, 05:53
I've found that if I run 2 identical units, but have one painted, it draws about 2/3 of the total firepower the two units receive.

djinn8
04-09-2009, 08:22
Lascannon teams. They take so much early game heat. Even more than Hellhounds, which incidently are always destroyed by turn two unless they're in reserve or blessed by the Emperor.

BrotherMoses
04-09-2009, 10:14
Yeah, painted models get shot at more. I've got a friend that runs a grey space marien force with a big blue terminator librarian. Everyone wants to kill that thing.

Twinmold
04-09-2009, 11:06
Ethereal if anyone actually takes them without a bodyguard.

Mangobreeder
04-09-2009, 14:45
the most recent model i have purchased, and am dying to play.

new redeemer, freshly painted., died first turn to a sentinal with a las

Mr.Rotty
04-09-2009, 14:45
My plaguebearers can get a whole army shooting at them, unfortunately for my enemy, they tend to survive it :P

Mr.Rotty
04-09-2009, 14:47
I've found that if I run 2 identical units, but have one painted, it draws about 2/3 of the total firepower the two units receive.

I get the exact same thing!

God LFC
04-09-2009, 19:08
land raider

Mateldar
04-09-2009, 19:44
always my new and almost finished and never used model...
My opponents always shoot at them....

second, my troops, the only vehicle that gets all the enemy love is mi land raider, one time he took 23 lass cannon shoots

Azhrarn
04-09-2009, 20:54
My Soulgrinder, it's the only vehicle on my side of the table, so it tends to attract a disproportionate amount of fire from just about every anti-tank weapon on the board.
Not that I mind, it'll generally die early, but in doing so buys time for other units to close and open fire/assault.

solkan
04-09-2009, 21:06
Soul grinders, defilers and monoliths I think would all be the top contenders for biggest fire magnets, with land raiders in fourth place, I think.

Or is this not time to apply RAW techniques? :cheese:

fwacho
07-09-2009, 06:32
Hellhound is hands down the biggest fire-magnet I know. I would imagine a soul-grinder as solkan has stated would also draw an unusual amount of fire. Big Mek's w/ shokk Attack guns also seem to get shot at a lot.

darker4308
07-09-2009, 06:37
Hormigaunts. I am terrified of those getting into my squishy eldar.

GodofWarTx
07-09-2009, 09:43
It used to be Death Company before every other unit had Feel No Pain and/or Furious Charge.

Now a lot of shooting done at them is simply from "legacy" memories of their dominance in 3rd edition.

Speaking of 3rd edition fire magnets, Wraithlords seem to get the same treatment.

Bunnahabhain
07-09-2009, 12:33
Hell Hounds- If you've seen them in use, and don't have a 2+ save or AV12+, they tend to become your number one target.

Valkyries/Vendettas- Big hard to hide, and likely to drop a large amount of fire onto something, and a squad onto the objective, or next to that land raider with 3 BS4 melta guns... They die fast.

Rough riders get an honourable mention. If you have elite infantry ( unless they have I6+, or 3++ saves, )that you might want to get somewhere near the Guard Infantry, you kill them fast. If they had nice models that didn't cost an arm and a leg, and were not back ordered for months at Forge World, you'd see them much more....

In fact, all of the Guard Fast Attack section, with the exception of the still poor chicken walkers. The rest of the codex can generally hide better, or has the numbers/AV value to shrug off a fair amount of fire.

ThePrecious
08-09-2009, 02:33
Its a tie between Hive Tyrants and Monoliths

People shoot at hive tyrants because a big metal monstrous creature with a name like that has got the be a massive threat

Monoliths get shot because they are so big people just want them off the board to make a little space (ok maybe thats just me)

Shas'o Brightsword
08-09-2009, 03:24
i would easily say defiler! man i was playing tau and i brought about 5 rail guns on that thing in one turn with stacked marker lights on it! It just had to go!

massey
08-09-2009, 06:48
No no no.

The #1 fire magnet in the game is a Dark Eldar Raider with an HQ in it, and its not even close. Anyone with half a brain will devote their entire army to shooting that thing down and killing whatever is inside before it can get to hand to hand.

I'd shoot those before winged tyrants, before genestealers, before lash princes. I'd shoot them before a falcon full of fire dragons.

-IronWarrior-
08-09-2009, 11:59
Land Raider

So big, it's easy to target.

Regardless of the weapons it's armed with people ALWAYS fear it.