PDA

View Full Version : Where to Go From Here with Imperial Guard?

Richard Dean Anderson
03-09-2009, 18:45
Hello,

Look at that I just posted to find out whether or not Praetorian models were legal and someone just sent me a PM offering to sell me some and I took him/her up on the offer. I am now the proud owner of, well as soon as they arrive that is:

6x Officer
3x Standard Bearer
3x Seargent with Power Weapon
3x Seargent with Chainsword
4x Bugler
63x Lasgun
4x Flamer
11x Meltagun
3x Gernade Launcher
3x Motar Squad
3x Heavy Bolter Squad
3x Missile Launcher Squad
2x Auto Cannon Squad
4x Lascannon Squad
2x Sentinels

Now I know this isn't a whole Imperial Guard army but, it seemed like a good start.

>My question to you is where should I go from here? I was thinking a Leman Russ and Leman Russ Demolisher. Then 1 or 2 Hellhounds (Should they be taken in squadrons?)

>Second Question is are the Praetorian Sentinels like the regular ones or are they different? The person sent me pictures but the Sentinels weren't in them? How hard is it to get another one if they are different?

Thanks for any advice,

Lord Malorne
03-09-2009, 18:54
No difference in sentinels.

I agree, 1 or 2 leman russ' will finish it up nicely.

SPYDER68
03-09-2009, 19:28
A few chimera's.. and russes.

If you run them as veterans instead of base guardsmen you have 6 full troop squads of guardsmen.

Writerski7
04-09-2009, 03:03
Perhaps some Valkyries . . . just remember they'll attract lots of firefrom people who aren't used to them. Or a Vendette . . . 3 twin-linked Lascannons on a Fast Skimmer with 12 front and side armor is really good.

Cane
04-09-2009, 03:11
Congrataz on the purchase but hopefully you weren't scammed since you look like a new poster and new people generally get abused and exploited imo.

Here's what I'd get:

1. Leman Russ Demolisher kit
2. New Hellhound Kit
3. Valk

I'd get those tanks in that order but if you're willing to buy used then I suggest getting the best armor deal you can find on Ebay or wherever. If you can, buy those three listed since they're much newer and higher quality models than the very much aged and harder to construct Leman Russ Battle tank and chimera. However picking up some Chimera's would do any IG list good since they're so cheap and efficient for their points cost and have a lot of synergy with platoon command squads and any squad that can field multiple special weapons.

Hello,

>Second Question is are the Praetorian Sentinels like the regular ones or are they different? The person sent me pictures but the Sentinels weren't in them? How hard is it to get another one if they are different?

Thanks for any advice,

No difference in sentinels.

I agree, 1 or 2 leman russ' will finish it up nicely.

Praetorians have their own sentinel design; they were the old metal ones that look pretty different from the new one. Ruleswise they're the same but the newer sentinel kit is imo the best one they've ever made since it has enough parts to make all the various sentinel variants (open/closed topped, all the different weapons, armor vs unarmored). If you search for it on images.google.com you'll find one.

freddieyu
04-09-2009, 03:36
It is indeed a good start....

Cane's advice is excellent, and I assume there is a new LR kit around the corner so I suggest you wait for it...

Buy some earth magnets too....so that you can magnetise the weapon options on the tanks, and swap weapons as you feel like it...

Richard Dean Anderson
04-09-2009, 04:32
Thanks for the suggestions I really apreciate them.

Grubnar
04-09-2009, 08:52
I just thought I should point out that you might want to take those mortar teams and use them to convert a Chimera into a Griffon mortar carrier.
It is really efficient!

And since you are starting a Pretorian army I think you should take a look at what this guy is doing: http://colgravis.blogspot.com/

Oh, and welcome to the Imperial Guard!

Logarithm Udgaur
04-09-2009, 09:07
Praetorians have their own sentinel design; they were the old metal ones that look pretty different from the new one. Ruleswise they're the same but the newer sentinel kit is imo the best one they've ever made since it has enough parts to make all the various sentinel variants (open/closed topped, all the different weapons, armor vs unarmored). If you search for it on images.google.com you'll find one.

Or you could have a look at this thread that is all about it (yea, the search function on this site blows).
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3075180

The Valkyrie and Vendetta, while good rules wise, just do not have a Praetorian feel to me. The Demolisher and Hellhound seem much more fitting to me.