PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Kingdoms: Good for beginners?

Lolhammer
03-09-2009, 19:01
I love the lore behind the Ogres, and as a 40,000'er I was thinking about getting into Fantasy with OK. Is it an alright army for beginners?

Agoz
03-09-2009, 19:04
Well, its cheap and easy to paint, but not very forgiving, as you don't have the numbers to win straight up combat without a fair amount of forsight with your charges/flee reactions. You'll find it very difficult to win at first, less so when you get a few losses under your belt. It is a fun army though.

Lolhammer
03-09-2009, 19:06
Alright, thanks for the input. I haven't actually grabbed any models yet, but I'm going too soon. When you say "cheap", do you mean in money or points?

Keller
03-09-2009, 19:07
Ogrekingdoms is a tough army to play, largly because it is one of the weaker books available (power-level wise). It does play different than most other armies, due to lack of static resolution and uniquie magic, but it doesn't break too many of the standard rules. All units are still subject to psychologhy (save maneaters and Beast-killer characters) so behave as any other unit in the game.

Is it a good army for a beginer? If you like them, yes. They are a bit harder to play, but anyone should be able to make use of them and learn to play to their strengths, all while learning the core rules well.

Tarian
03-09-2009, 19:07
Model-wise with a lot of plastics.

Keller
03-09-2009, 19:10
When you say "cheap", do you mean in money or points?
The OK battalion is the best buy around, allowing for upwards of 1000 points for one purchase ($90US) or more, if you convert characters and the like from basic models.

Ogre armies tend to have few models (cheapest Ogre is ~ 35 points, IIRC) but Gnoblars are a mere 2. Generally speaking, you won't need to paint many models, unless you go nuts with the gnoblars, of course.

Lolhammer
03-09-2009, 19:12
1000 points? Are you kidding me? That's fantastic, as soon as my paycheck comes I'm going to grab one of those.

it's coming this way!
03-09-2009, 19:18
Definitely pick up Ogres! For now, I can only speak model-wise, but they've got a great flavor, great models ('cept the tyrant, i'm not a fan of that one), and a great culture built up for it.

If you're looking at starting the army, read around on www.ogrestronghold.com

Lolhammer
03-09-2009, 19:26
That's really cool, I was hoping for a site dedicated to OK.

Lolhammer
03-09-2009, 19:34
I have a friend that loves painting these guys, and I'm not a big fan, so it's a win/win. :D.

Coragus
03-09-2009, 20:03
All units are still subject to psychologhy (save maneaters and Beast-killer characters) so behave as any other unit in the game.

True, but remember that Ogres cause Fear and don't Panic if gnoblars run away. That mitigates the psychology for them somewhat. It also means that your Ogres won't ever take a Terror test.

Malorian
03-09-2009, 20:06
I'd say ogres are great because as has been said you can make a good sized army for cheap and they are easy to paint.

They will also force you to learn the movement phase and the arts of baiting, countercharging, and all that fun stuff as long as your opponent has something fast to counter with.

I suggest checking out Avian's page for ogre tactics.

Keller
03-09-2009, 20:40
True, but remember that Ogres cause Fear and don't Panic if gnoblars run away. That mitigates the psychology for them somewhat. It also means that your Ogres won't ever take a Terror test.

Excellent point, however, fleeing ogres will of course incite panic tests for other ogres. With an average Ld of 7 on Bulls, it can be a little dangerous with the flee/baiting often required.

Onidan
03-09-2009, 21:07
They will also force you to learn the movement phase and the arts of baiting, countercharging, and all that fun stuff as long as your opponent has something fast to counter with.

I suggest checking out Avian's page for ogre tactics.

I can only second this.

I learned more in my game with my Ogres I had so far than in all my games with Dwarfs and Lizardmen combined. As a result I improved my play with my other armies as well ^^

And Avian did really a great job with his tactic pages.

Lolhammer
04-09-2009, 00:43
Thanks for the tips, guys.

AlmightyNocturnus
04-09-2009, 04:19
I can only echo what Onidan, Keller and others have said. I have three Fantasy armies (and I sold two others), but Ogres are by far my favorite. Why? Because they take a lot of thinking and strategizin` to win with. Using Ogres will make a you a better Fantasy Battle player...but it will take time.

Models rule and are cheap and are easy to convert.

I guess what you have to ask yourself is, "Am I okay with getting my ass handed to me my first dozen games or so?" If you have the testicular fortitude to handle that, then I`d so go all out with Ogres and welcome to the club. If you are lacking in such fortitude and need to win right from the get-go, I`d recommend Vampire Counts, Dark Elves or Daemons.

Good luck.

Almighty Nocturnus

Agoz
04-09-2009, 04:23
yes, its definately a fun army, on those grounds, I'd recommend it. There aren't alot of options however, so there is that.

w3rm
04-09-2009, 13:44
AVIAN. IS. GOD!!!!!!!! LINK- http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/subpage.php?s=index_ogre_tactics

Tokamak
04-09-2009, 13:57
The OK battalion is the best buy around, allowing for upwards of 1000 points for one purchase ($90US) or more, if you convert characters and the like from basic models.

...you can do the same with any battalion if you convert characters from it.

Which you don't need to do as they're already of of the most points-valuable battalions there are.

Condottiere
04-09-2009, 14:48
Potentially, they are relatively cheap for someone new to get an army, though that argument could be used by lurking around for someone to try and auction off their army.

I'm not sure if it's the ideal army to get introduced into the hobby.

Tarian
04-09-2009, 14:51
Ogre Kingdoms is a hard army to play, especially against things like Brettonia.

Makaber
04-09-2009, 18:23
When people talk about "hard to start with", I think they're exaggerating a little. The common concepts of Warhammer playing will have more or less the same learning curve with all the armies, and figuring out how to make the Ogres work for you will run parallel with that process.

They're a bit tricker to play than say, Bretonnia, but all the more power to you, because you'll learn to rely on wit and cunning instead. Besides, it's way better to lose fun battles with an army you like, than to win boring battles with an army that doesn't appeal to you.

N810
04-09-2009, 18:33
That's really cool, I was hoping for a site dedicated to OK.

you mean this site :rolleyes:
ogrestronghold.com

Dungeon_Lawyer
04-09-2009, 18:44
one word: no

Onidan
04-09-2009, 18:57
Besides, it's way better to lose fun battles with an army you like, than to win boring battles with an army that doesn't appeal to you.

You just have to be aware that youŽll be loosing with Ogres as your first army. Alot.

That may influence your view on the army, but in my eyes its worth it. Your first win will be a great experience, and the models are great.

I did not yet regret my Ogres ^^