PDA

View Full Version : starting beastmen

General Squeek Squeek
03-09-2009, 23:19
I have really wanted to get back into warhammer after having taken a couple year break. I used to play skaven, but have been drawn to starting up a beastmen army.

Since I don't like playing a grey horde it will take a while for me to get an army painted to a decent standard, so it will be in a good position when the new army book finally arrives. My main question is what units should I buy? Right now I'm thinking getting a couple beast herds. Other then that are there any units worth getting now?

Aladauqs
03-09-2009, 23:30
A couple of beastherds would definitely be a good place to start, especially since that kit won't be redone when the book surfaces next year. I'd assemble them with two hand weapons, since in the current rules hand weapon and shield is pretty pointless. I doubt the character models will change (perhaps the Bray-Shaman - they're both 5th ed models) so I'd advise you pick up a couple of Wargor models too.

I'd strongly advise checking out the rumours thread here on Warseer or having a look over at The Herdstone (found with a quick google search) to see what's on the cards to be redone and left alone, then start planning from there. Good luck, always nice to see another beasts player!

gorenut
03-09-2009, 23:38
You might even consider waiting out for the Skaven army release very soonish... that is if you're still open to the thought of revisiting em. Beastmen are considered to be an armybook that needs rewriting and that won't come around til next year.

Tokamak
03-09-2009, 23:42
You can't have enough warhounds ever. Get two or three sets of them. They're also new and therefore sure not to be replaced when the new army book comes.

decker_cky
03-09-2009, 23:43
I made this guide to starting beastmen on the Herdstone:

http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showtopic=16556

mrtn
04-09-2009, 00:53
You can't have enough warhounds ever. Get two or three sets of them. They're also new and therefore sure not to be replaced when the new army book comes.
I've not used more than two units, let alone three sets (which gives six units of five). Sure, I know that a lot of people use more than me, but I still think that one box is a good buy to start with. Get a couple of beastherds as well, and the beastlord/wargor with great weapon. AHW, and no shields on either gor or ungor is the standard equipment for herds.

After that you can play a few games and see what seems to work for you.

And welcome to The Herdstone, decker already posted a link. :)

GirathonB
04-09-2009, 02:26
I've not used more than two units, let alone three sets (which gives six units of five).

I use 10 units, but that may be because I only have them to fail leadership tests and turn to spawn.

I recommend Picking up 1 or two chariots, not any more then that due to they might shift from core to special with the new book.

General Squeek Squeek
04-09-2009, 06:37
thanks for all the replies. So I'll probably start off the army by buying:

2 boxes of Beast herds
2 boxes of warhounds
1 chariot
1 wargor with great weapon

Would that be a good start to model and paint up until more definite info on the new beast book comes out???

mrtn
04-09-2009, 09:53
That looks like a good start. You probably don't need to build all the gors, as it's more efficient to have more ungors than gors in the herds. The rest can be used for conversions, I made a shaman from my first box. A lot of people make centigors as well.

Gav2k
04-09-2009, 12:14
What's the reason for having more Ungors than Gors? The reason I ask is because Gors have the extra hand weapon, so it would seem logical to me to have more attacks at the ready... Also what's an ideal Ungor/Gor ratio?

Also... Gors are SO much cooler than Ungors :p

mrtn
04-09-2009, 12:47
The ungors are removed first from shooting. They give just as many ranks as gors. They cost 4 points, compared to 7. As long as the first rank are gors you get just as many attacks. Some people take minimum amount of gors, but I prefer to take a few more. Usually one more ungor than gors, so 8G 9U in a 17 herd (FC), or 6G 7U in a 13 (musician and foerender). It's good to keep to the sizes of 13, 17 and 21 for panic reasons.
Foe Renders are much better than usual unit champions, since they not only have +1A, but also +1 Ld and +1 S.