PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Daemons vs Tomb Kings

Kriegschmidt
04-09-2009, 10:11
"So let me get this right - 'I have in the past won my war but am yet to best my foe' ? What in the Well Of Eternity is that supposed to mean? Wait- don't answer that, I'm not sure I could take any more of your nonsensical babble. You really are a disgrace you know, I am ashamed to be associated with you. Can't you just tell some feckless mortal your real name and do us all a favour?"

Pantalaimon folded his arms and turned his back on the huddled, wizzened creature. Kairos simply laughed, or rather his left head laughed, while his right head continued to look warily smug.

"Like and like we were and will be," cackled Kairos, the words passing from one head to the other, back and forth. "And more so than you knew, ere long! Your victory's root lay far from where it will be done!"

"Do you think you could stick to one tense at a time?"

Kairos ignored the remark and spoke, lowering his voice menacingly. "You have but looked up the curve of consequence, forwards, ever forwards. But you must turn, turn away from Oenone, follow the curve back! With the birth of a dead queen did this train begin! Move the curve, shatter Oenone on its points!" The two heads barked in unison, "Khalida! KHALIDA!"

A warm, magenta glow fell on the two Lords of Change as Pantalaimon became aware of subtle layers of calculation. Between these layers, his fingers brushed over cross-hatched threads of happening, paths of fate of which he previously was unaware.

"But the Craftworld.... I don't......", he whispered.

The Fateweaver's two heads drew parallel with one another and he hefted his staff as his eyes bored up into Pantalaimon's face.

"Watch," he leered at his larger brother. "Watch and learn".

Kriegschmidt
04-09-2009, 10:23
Greetings!

Well yesterday I played my first ever game of Warhammer. First. Ever. Game of Warhammer! I've been playing 40k since 2nd Ed but never had the money or inclination to get into Warhammer as well. However, with the new Daemons of Chaos, all that changed, haha! Since the 40k Daemons codex came out I've racked up about 4-5000 points of Daemons and have fallen hopelessly in love with their completely mental, chaotic style. So, when my regular opponent mentioned that he also plays Warhammer, the opportunity was too good to resist :)

Obviously I had to deal with the whole "round bases" thing but fortunately 1) WH daemons use 25mm wide bases, like the 40k ones and 2) my opponent was totally cool about me sticking my troops on cardboard "trays" to keep them in formation.

Last night, having had 5 days with the Daemons army book and 24 hours with the BRB, I put together my first ever WH Daemon list and took on the might of Queen Khalida Nerfherder's [sic] Undead horde!

Btw, have a squizz through the batreps in my sig for more about Pantalaimon and Oenone.... ;)

Kriegschmidt
04-09-2009, 10:46
Ok, so here are the army lists. Phil's (my opponent's) is a little vague as everything was new to me and I wasn't sure what did what, etc. But I'll try to get as close as I can. Also, I'm recounting my list from memory and again, everything is new to me, blah blah blah so forgive any errors.

Kairos' Lesson

Kairos Fateweaver 625 (=Army General)

Skulltaker 200
Juggernaut

"Tongueboil" Herald of Nurgle 115

15 Bloodletters of Khorne 217
Standard Bearer
Icon of Endless War (with a name like that, how could I not take it?!)

15 Bloodletters of Khorne 185
Musician

16 Plaguebearers of Nurgle 229
Standard Bearer
Standard of Seeping Decay

4 Screamers of Tzeentch 120

10 Seekers of Slaanesh 240

1 Bloodcrusher

TOTAL 2000(ish)

Queen Khalida's Bonejivers (Phil's Tomb Kings list)

Queen Khalida Nickle/Noodle/definitely an "N" word... 420(?)

3 or 4 Liche Priests (?) One of them was a "hierophant"...?

5 units of skeleton archers, numbering roughly 13/14 per unit

One unit of 4 or 5 chariots with skeletal horses (I hope you know what these are!)

1 Bone Giant, imaginatively converted by Phil from an "excavate your own mammoth" kit. I can see why he did it - the GW bone giant does look like Homer Simpson!

Queen Khalida was attached to a unit of skeleton archers, as were each of the Wizardy priest things. I have to say, I remember saying to Phil before and after the game that I would hate to play as his army because it's just so boring! They basically just line up... in a long line at the back.... and fire arrows!

Photo of my army attached.

Kriegschmidt
04-09-2009, 11:29
Since I was fumbling through the rules and Phil had to keep telling me what to do when, I try to condense the turns into meaningful events, rather than detailing each step.

Turn 1 (pics attached at end of turn)
I finished deploying first so got +1 to my roll for first turn. I won the roll and went first, hoping to close the ground to the skeletons as quickly as possible.

Trying to bear in mind the whirlwind of maneouvring rules I had tried to absorb in only a few hours, I decided to March my Core units up the middle, with Skulltaker and the Bloodcrusher Marching up the left flank and Kairos, the Screamers and the Seekers whistling up the right flank. Since there are tight firing arcs in WH, I wanted to prevent Phil's units from coordinating their fire if possible, get them firing in all directions.

My magic phase was an unmitigated disaster, I had no idea about the wall of Dispelling that awaited me. Kairos first cast Boon of Tzeentch (gives D3+1 bonus power dice), which Phil tried (and failed) to Dispel. However, thereafter I tried to cast Tzeentch's Firestorm, which Phil Dispelled, and the Howler Wind (would prevent archers targeting any unit within 12" of Kairos!), which Phil Dispelled using something called a "Dispel Scroll". He had 5 of these!

Phil declared that his chariots would charge Skulltaker. Haha, I fear them not! His magic phase mostly consisted of his skeletons getting bonus shooting, which he combined with his shooting phase to knock a wound off Skulltaker (1 left), kill 12 of the cheaper Bloodletter unit, knock two wounds off Kairos and wipe out the Screamers. Not nice.

And then the chariots clattered into Skulltaker. Even with their modifiers he still had a 2+ save and then a 5+ Ward, so he barely noticed. He subsequently inflicted 2 killing blows and knocked 2 wounds off a third chariot. The remaining chariots were unable to flee (Tomb Kings rule) so died from further wounds. I kept wanting to Consolidate, it somehow felt wrong to have to leave my units standing all over the shop at the end of an assault :)

In hindsight I think I was thinking too much as a 40k Tyranid player.

Kriegschmidt
04-09-2009, 11:52
Turn 2 (pics attached)

Skulltaker and the Bloodcrusher were perfectly set up for a charge against the left-most skeletons, so I decided to send them in and mash up that unit. They did, with gusto :evilgrin: However, I was still thinking as a Tyranid player as I had to leave them facing "the wrong" way at the end of the combat, unable to charge anything next turn. The Seekers charged headlong into the right-most skeletons, winning the combat (still locked).

While the Bloodletters and Plaguebearers continued their March forwards, Kairos flew to a central position and cast Boon of Tzeentch (Phil failed to Dispel), then cast Unseen Lurker, which Phil Dispelled, and The Beast Cowers (aimed at the Bone Giant), which Phil Dispelled using another bleedin' Dispel Scroll. Another 100% ineffective Magic Phase. I need more magic! :D

In Phil's turn, his Bone Giant charged headlong into the large Bloodletter unit, while his skeletons shuffled a little. Combining his Magic-Phase-bonus-shooting and his Shooting Phase, Phil's archers finished off Kairos (625pts!) and killed the 3 Bloodletters left in the cheaper unit. Skulltaker and the Bloodcrusher remained unscathed.

Despite its "Relentless Salt", The Bone Giant only killed 1 Bloodletter, losing a wound itself to the 'Letters. My rank bonuses and standard, plus the fact that I outnumbered it, meant that it lost more wounds! On the right of the table, the Seekers finished off the archers but were now left unable to see anyone else and as such unable to charge next turn. Bah, still thinking like a Tyranid :D

Kriegschmidt
04-09-2009, 12:01
Turn 3 (pics attached)

From what I can gather, this turn was pure Warhammer. I couldn't declare any charges, so used my movement to turn Skulltaker and the Bloodcrusher (on the left) and the Seekers (on the right), ready for a charge next turn, reforming the latter to make a single rank. Oh the drama! The plaguebearers were unable to charge the Bone Giant due to its nearest facing being blocked by the Bloodletters, so they dribbled forwards 4", ready to charge it next turn if necessary.

Not. Necessary :evilgrin: Losing none of their own, the Bloodletters finished off the Bone Giant! I still wanted to Consolidate afterwards, bah.... :D

Phil used his turn to wheel Queen Khalida's unit ready to receive the charge and kill a Bloodletter and 2 Seekers with arrows. The Plaguebearers didn't even notice that they were being shot at :D

Kriegschmidt
04-09-2009, 12:14
Turn 4 (pics attached)

At this point I thought I had the game in the bag. Skulltaker and the Bloodcrusher charged into Khalida's unit. The Bloodletters used their Icon Of Endless War to extend their charge, wheeling into the skeletons behind Khalida and winning (still locked). The Seekers charged into the right-most skeleton unit, also winning their combat (still locked). However, on the left flank things did not go so well.

Ohhhh no. Skulltaker had to issue a challenge, which Khalida accepted. She always fights first and deftly killed Skulltaker before he could decapitate her! His Juggernaut failed to harm her before it ran off to graze on some nearby gravestones. Next came the Bloodcrusher, who killed 2 skeletons. However, the combat resolution was not in his favour (thanks to Overkill wounds, enemy standard bearer, outnumbered) and he promptly failed his Instability test badly and popped out of existence. Gulp.

Phil used his Turn to turn Khalida's unit in place and bounce more arrows off the Plaguebearers. He resurrected 4 skeletons in combat with the Seekers, however the Seekers finished off the unit. They would be unable to charge next turn due to their facing. Centrally, the bloodletters finished off the last of the skeletons on the hill.

Kriegschmidt
04-09-2009, 12:22
Turn 5 (pics attached)

Having seen Khalida in combat, I was now not so confident. I sent the Bloodletters in a wheeling charge into her unit, while the Plaguebearers and Seekers set themselves up for charging next turn. I kept forgetting that in WH only the front rank can fight, so much gleeful rubbing together of hands as a big pack of Bloodletters leaped into combat was followed by the disappointment that only 4 or 5 could fight. With 1 attack each. What's that all about? 3 each in 40k on the charge! :D But I know the two don't compare.

Anyhow, Khalida fought first, managing 9 additional wounds from Poisoning. The Bloodletters didn't stand a chance and 6 died, meaning I couldn't fight back. The rest decided that they had had enough and legged it back to the warp, grunting in frustration! Because the unit had been wiped out, Queen Khalida gained the Standard Bearer's standard (100 bonus Victory points and severe bragging rights!) - hence the Bloodletter placed behind her.

Khalida's unit backpedalled, loosing their two volleys of arrows (one in Magic Phase) at the Seekers and killing all but 1. Khalida attempted to cast her bound spell at the Plaguebearers but I Dispelled it.

I was thrashing a rock with twigs.

Kriegschmidt
04-09-2009, 12:31
Turn 6 (pics attached)

Phil was very sporting at this point and reminded me that the game was decided on victory points, so I may not want to throw my two remaining units into a potentiall doomed combat with Queen Latifa. I mean Khalida. However, I decided that as it was my first game and I was playing howling, screaming Daemons, charging was the only option :evilgrin:

Tongueboil (the Herald of Nurgle) issued a challenge, which Khalida accepted. This meant that she could not be hacking Plaguebearers to bits! Fortunately his high toughness and regenerate meant that he only lost one wound. Question: are Nurgle units immune to poison? In response, the Seeker killed 2 skeletons and the plaguebearers killed several more. The combat resolution was in my favour, meaning all but two of the skeletons snuffed it.

Phil's turn was simply the assault, wherein Tongueboil and Khalida failed to do any damage and the plaguebearers finished off the skeletons. This meant that I stole Phil's unit's Standard, regaining some lost pride :D

We totted up the Victory Points and I had roughly 200 more than Phil. In a 2,000pt game, this meant..... A DRAW (I hate draws! :D)

Kriegschmidt
04-09-2009, 12:37
It was still the warp... and it was still the material world.... but somehow both were unfamiliar to Pantalaimon. Everything was as it should be, yet Time, Place and the Energies of Magick were subtly different. However, as Kairos pointed and gestured, Pantalaimon could already see the chains, threads and links of Fate and Consequence that led back to his goal.

Pantalaimon grinned evilly as this extra dimension of understanding enlightened him and new plans began to form in his mind.

"Ahh, now I understand...."

Malorian
04-09-2009, 13:10
We totted up the Victory Points and I had roughly 200 more than Phil. In a 2,000pt game, this meant..... A DRAW (I hate draws! :D)

Draws are great! They are the perfect reason to have a rematch :D

Liked the bone mammoth idea for the bone giant. Kinda makes sense why it would be so deadly on the charge.

Good to see tomb kings stand up to the deamons.

Thanks for the report :)

Kriegschmidt
04-09-2009, 13:19
Cheers, there will indeed be a moste bloodye rematch :D

I'd really appreciate people's criticism (as heavy as you like) on how I played. A lot of the time I had little idea what I was doing as it's all so new. Also feel free to tear my list apart! :) I think I was lucky that my first game was against a static opponent, as a more maneouvrable opponent with experience would certainly have run rings around my clumsy staggerings :D

Malorian
04-09-2009, 13:23
Your list is fine although you're going to probably want to drop the special characters as people don't like playing deamons as it is. The herald should also be turned into a BSB.

Just don't turn into a leadership bomb and everything will be fine ;)

PeG
04-09-2009, 13:27
good of you to get a bat report together from your first game. A few comments that may be caused by this being the first game and also some hints

In turn 1 charges are declared against skulltaker and after that he is shot with bows. This cant happen since movement is before shooting/magic and unless you are playing skaven you cant shoot into combat.

TK crumble to dust if the hierophant dies and the hierophant is the priest that is highest in rank and therefore have to cast spells etc first of all his priests. In your next game remember who he is and kill him (perfect task for skulltaker)

Also against always strike first enemies nurgle has a gift that makes them strike last if in base-base contact with the wearer which can be an unpleasant surprise for tomb kings, high elves and similar things

finally draws are good results since that usually meanst that both players were enjoying themselves and are interested in playing again.

Tarian
04-09-2009, 14:10
And try to keep poor Fateweaver away from all those nasty poisoned bows. Big critters with high Toughness, low armor hate those things.

PeG
04-09-2009, 14:39
and as you noticed magic in fantasy is a bit off all or nothing. either you bring anough magic to actually do damage (usually 8-12 PD) or bring the magical defence you think that you will need and spend the points elsewhere. However dont overdo it. If you bring 20 powerdice (which daemons can do if they want to) you will find it hard to find people to play against after a while.

Enigmatik1
04-09-2009, 14:43
good of you to get a bat report together from your first game. A few comments that may be caused by this being the first game and also some hints

In turn 1 charges are declared against skulltaker and after that he is shot with bows. This cant happen since movement is before shooting/magic and unless you are playing skaven you cant shoot into combat.

To my knowledge, the only way this could've happened is if the chargees declared stand-and-shoot as a charge reaction...which for some unknown reason, skeleton archers cannot do. :mad:

TK crumble to dust if the hierophant dies and the hierophant is the priest that is highest in rank and therefore have to cast spells etc first of all his priests. In your next game remember who he is and kill him (perfect task for skulltaker)

Yes and no. If you build your army to compensate for it, Hierophant death isn't that serious. Only the core units and Carrion really have to worry about crumbling on average. The Tomb Guard, Ushabti, Scorpions and Bone Giant all have decent enough LD that it's rarely a big issue for them.

Also, the Hierophant casts lasts in the hieratic order with only the dreaded Ark of the Covenant going after him.

Also against always strike first enemies nurgle has a gift that makes them strike last if in base-base contact with the wearer which can be an unpleasant surprise for tomb kings, high elves and similar things

The two TK special characters are the pretty much the only ways TK can get ASF, discounting a generic King or Prince with the Crook & Flail of Radiance which is rarely used in lieu of the Destroyer, Flail of Skulls or Spear of Antarhak, so don't count on many TK models outside of them having this special rule.

finally draws are good results since that usually meanst that both players were enjoying themselves and are interested in playing again.

Agree 100% with this bit.

:D

SevenSins
05-09-2009, 10:51
a nice first for fantasy there :)

To ease on the round vs square base problem, get some LoTR trays, they have round slots.
Looking forward to a rematch then. If you need more magic some horrors would help (but don't overdo it). Also I'd consider splitting the seekers to 2x5 for some more flanking action

Supreme Archon Orlok
05-09-2009, 21:47
For some strange and bizarre reason nurgle units are not immune to poison.

lcfr
06-09-2009, 16:36
Your opponent mentioned his list was boring (I agree), but how did you like it?

Kriegschmidt
06-09-2009, 18:11
Your opponent mentioned his list was boring (I agree), but how did you like it?

No it was me who said his list was boring; he likes it because it "can't be beaten" :) He's a good opponent but likes to take power-lists, rather than particularly characterful ones. But he's great fun to play with.

We're playing again tomorrow night and I'm tempted to try and out-magic him :evilgrin:

PeG
06-09-2009, 20:26
If you attempt to outmagic him this is something you can do very easily with DoC but dont overdo it. TK are dependent on their magic and if you show up with huge numbers of power and dispel dice he will not have a fun game (most likely you wont either) which may make him reluctant to play again.

Maoriboy007
07-09-2009, 09:35
For some strange and bizarre reason nurgle units are not immune to poison.

And equally bizarre, neither are undead or constructs.

And how the hell did Khalida manage to beat Skulltaker, pretty slim odds of Skull taker failing an armour save and a ward save vs Str 4.

Kriegschmidt
07-09-2009, 10:18
And equally bizarre, neither are undead or constructs.

And how the hell did Khalida manage to beat Skulltaker, pretty slim odds of Skull taker failing an armour save and a ward save vs Str 4.

Simple answer: she went first. He only had one wound left. And she had those horrible poisonous attacks.

Question: Does Khalida's nasty poisonous weapon thingy count as a magic item?

Thanks to all, the feedback is really helpful :)

Maoriboy007
07-09-2009, 20:22
Simple answer: she went first. He only had one wound left. And she had those horrible poisonous attacks.

Question: Does Khalida's nasty poisonous weapon thingy count as a magic item?

Thanks to all, the feedback is really helpful :)

All Khalidas attacks count as magic, but not due to an item, her very blood is magically toxic due to the blessing of the Asp goddess.

Even with ASF and poisoned attacks, it was just plain luck that allowed Khalida to kill Skulltaker past a 1+ armour save and a 5+ ward (you must have said a bad word when you rolled that one!) otherwise he would almost certainly waste her with str 6 flaming killing blow attacks.

Kriegschmidt
08-09-2009, 08:42
All Khalidas attacks count as magic, but not due to an item, her very blood is magically toxic due to the blessing of the Asp goddess.

Even with ASF and poisoned attacks, it was just plain luck that allowed Khalida to kill Skulltaker past a 1+ armour save and a 5+ ward (you must have said a bad word when you rolled that one!) otherwise he would almost certainly waste her with str 6 flaming killing blow attacks.

Yeah I think you're right - last night she was not so lucky! ;):D

selone
08-09-2009, 18:28
Indeed skulltaker is a bit of a beast.

Maoriboy007
08-09-2009, 21:00
Indeed skulltaker is a bit of a beast.

(sings in high falsetto) *Broken.....* :)

hawo0313
09-09-2009, 10:57
Great battle report man I also thought that you had it in the bag but it was not to be

Kriegschmidt
09-09-2009, 11:02
Great battle report man I also thought that you had it in the bag but it was not to be

Then Sir should read this one, which will be much more to his taste: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219261

:evilgrin:

DarthSte
14-09-2009, 11:38
Sounds like a good game!