PDA

View Full Version : Directing to Space Wolves 2nd Edition

Nazguire
10-05-2005, 09:25
Can anyone direct me to some 2nd Ed SW background? The IA and the 3rd Edition are really sparse or repetitive and I'd love to read some of the rarer and less circulated SW background.

Areas of interest are currently all the SW Special Characters other than Ranulf the Strong of 2nd Edition... :D

Delicious Soy
10-05-2005, 11:07
Erm, the 2nd ed codex perhaps? It had a heap of background though IIRC the greatest amount of attention to Special Character background was given to Ragnar Blackmane and Bjorn the Fell Handed. Logan Grimnar had a back seat back then.

Xhalax
10-05-2005, 22:12
Njal Stromcaller and Ulrik also got quite a bit of fluff in the 2nd Ed codex too. As well as Wolf Lord Kyrl Grimblood and two Wolf Guard characters.

Fluff-wise, I think it's very good and use it more than the 3rd Ed codex as there's just more background in it. Well worth getting hold of a copy if you can.

sigur
11-05-2005, 00:06
Or just google for the fluff bible. It has some very nice Space Wolves Fluff in it and after reading it, I really started liking the Space Wolves. (especially after reading the stories about Leman Russ going fishing and the first time Leman Russ met his father ;) )

grey_painter
20-05-2005, 14:37
"So your the Emperor of the whole human race are you? Well then in that case I must challenge you to an eating contest!"

The one thing I was disappointed with regarding the 2nd ed codex was that it never explained why the wolves disliked the thousand sons. Don't think it really explained the Dark Angel feud that well either though been a while since I read that bit.

Xhalax
21-05-2005, 22:10
There is a little bit of information on the dislike between the Thousand Sons and the Space Wolves. But it's not much and it's about the Thousand Sons...and by the looks of it Magnus himself almost taking the Fang.
But good ol' Bjorn kicked Magus squarely in the nuts for that days work. It also says that the Great Wolf at the time....Harek Ironhelm died from wounds inflicted upon him my Magnus and was buried on the slopes of the Fang (Wolf-scouts had managed to sneak out of the Fang to get word to him after he was drawn away from the Fang by a deception. He was getting visions of Magnus and followed the visions he saw).
And now his tomb is a shrine where all Rune Priest must make a pilgrimage to when they ordeal of Inititation where they warned by the Old Wolf's spirit not to trust vision granted by Chaos.

As for the DAs....again there is a little bit but it doesn't go into a great lot of detail. Just the usual story about Johnson rushing off to kill the bad guy, leaving Russ and the Wolves open to attack...which they were. And the DAs won the day with little causalties.
Russ was pissed and slapped Johnson, fight ensued and we all know the rest.

grey_painter
22-05-2005, 11:31
I think the 1k Sons thing stretchs back to the Heresy when the Emperor dispatched the wolves to deal with the 1K Sons after Magnus tried to warn the Emperor about Horus via pyschics. The wolves fell onto the Son's homeworld and made a mess of it and alot of the Sons. Before Russ could deal the killer blow Magus called out in desperation to the dark powers, Tzeentch answered by teleporting most of the planet into the eye of terror. The 13th company of the wolves chased the Sons into the eye and weren't seen again. Russ was some what bitter about being denied his victory and of cause this lead to the Sons attacking Fenris later.

Thanks for the info on that attack, I knew off it but keep forgetting about it and most of the details. Like I said disappointed I had to seek the information else where instead of finding it in the codex where it belongs.