PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Kingdoms in space

Berynius
10-05-2005, 08:45
Has any one heard something about this? My local store (independent) has it up on theire rumour section of theire website.

http://www.faergeskaelder.dk (http://http://www.faergeskaelder.dk/rygter.php?action=fullnews&id=48) (In danish)

It states that Gw plans to make a "space" ogre it will be a H-T-H army focusing on brute strength as a counter to the Tau shooting army.

I suspect it is a joke, but independent confirmation would be good.

rkunisch
10-05-2005, 09:10
I suspect it is a joke, but independent confirmation would be good.

It certainly sounds like a joke. I never heard anything like this. It would make not much sense as there are already enough armies with good close combat options out there.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Hortwerth
10-05-2005, 09:17
There were alredy rules in White Dwarf concerning the use of OK models in Imperial Guard army.

Ogre army that is.

mangustheix
10-05-2005, 09:43
I would certainly think this is a joke, since GW have said the dont want to do "WFB in space" armies, and you already have orgyns in IG

Karhedron
10-05-2005, 09:47
I guess you could use IG Doctrines to create an army with plenty of Ogryns in it. But seriously GW have a fair list of codices that need revamping for 4th edition, I don't see them doing a new army until some of the old ones get the 4th edition treatment.

sigur
10-05-2005, 09:50
Quite unlikely since GW are trying to kill the RATHER OBVIOUS AND TRADITIONALLY IMPORTANT FACT of the WHFB-WH40k-connections.

"Ogres" in IG armies are Ogryns and they have always been IG troops (well, for a few thousand years at least)

One thing that I can imagine is that now that GW seems to have worked out how to make bigger miniatures which look decent in plastic that they will do some kind of army with bigger models in the future (Zoats were pretty big, weren't they?). But generally, Ogres in 40k are Ogryns. A classic IG unit and also to be seen in Ork armies. There's absolutely no reason why they should form their own army with Ogryn motives since they don't have any really.

Wraith
10-05-2005, 19:57
I think you're all getting hung up on the 'ogre' part of this rumour which I think is a mistake.

From what I've heard of the rumour it's more to do with GW thinking of a new army/race who's basic troops are much larger than 'the standard' troops much like how ogre's are larger than the basic human, elf, or skaven.

I think this rumour has little truth to it but I can only hope GW might work to introduce a new race of 'large' aliens taking the best parts of say the 'Elites' from 'Halo' fame and say 'Predators' from the films of the same name and then give them weapon options similar to the way the rules for the Tau battlesuits work but focussed on melee rather than projectile weapons.

Negafex
10-05-2005, 20:10
i think personally it would be funny like a joke but kind of cool as far as models go. i think i shall model some of my own space ogres and post pics. it may be something like the squats except opposite. REMEMBER THE SQUATS

boogle
10-05-2005, 20:33
sems like a load of BS to me, much the same as Tau being the next codex

Brimstone
10-05-2005, 22:28
I guess you could use IG Doctrines to create an army with plenty of Ogryns in it. But seriously GW have a fair list of codices that need revamping for 4th edition, I don't see them doing a new army until some of the old ones get the 4th edition treatment.

Well we may get an new armylist sooner rather than later. ;)

ems like a load of BS to me, much the same as Tau being the next codex

Next no, BT are next but after that I'm starting to hear stuff from people that may indicate Tau are being considered.

Looks like I may have to eat my hat. :p

But Space Ogres nah, just a wind-up.

sigur
10-05-2005, 23:22
Well we may get an new armylist sooner rather than later.

I'm afraid now.

Next no, BT are next but after that I'm starting to hear stuff from people that may indicate Tau are being considered.

and now even more. IS THERE NO LOVE FOR ORKS AND ELDAR!? They are by far more interesting and important than Tau or any new race! (and I'm a Tau player myself)

de Selby
11-05-2005, 00:39
I think you're all getting hung up on the 'ogre' part of this rumour which I think is a mistake.

From what I've heard of the rumour it's more to do with GW thinking of a new army/race who's basic troops are much larger than 'the standard' troops much like how ogre's are larger than the basic human, elf, or skaven.

This is sound thinking. Even if no plan exists as yet, we shouldn't be surprised to see a new army of big brutes turn up in 40k. GW will do it just because now they know they can.

For years before the actual design and release of the new terminators, people on these forums were discussing them. This comes under the category of something that is likely to happen sooner or later deduced from first principles, regardless of whether anyone in the studio is thinking about it yet.

Inquisitor Engel
11-05-2005, 01:35
Damn it. Someone in my playtest group has breached their NDA!

Yes, I'm joking.

Guardian
11-05-2005, 02:07
they should just concentrate on fixing the green skins and eldar first

Berynius
11-05-2005, 06:01
Okay you have me convinced, I do not think that GW wil make an Ogre/Ogryn army that part of the rumour is probably do to confusion about the Abhuman doctrins in WD 303 (it was out the same month the rumour apeared), But I im now thinking that it is entirely possible at GW may make a new army for W40K with larger than human sized.

Oh and at the risk of derailing this thread, Im a eldar player and I feel that the current codex is not in immediate need of a over haul. But it could be because I mainly play friendly games of Combat Patrol (using rules of Engagement)

lord_blackfang
11-05-2005, 08:10
Maybe it'll be Giant Squats.

charlie_c67
11-05-2005, 08:31
Is it me or does there seem an increasing number of BS rumours starting to fly around? Like people are getting frustrated at GW for tightening things up so they try and drag people in like mugs and leave them, in some cases, very disappointed.

Berynius
11-05-2005, 08:32
Yes... all is clear now, the new army is Squats that have grown to gigantic proportions because of theire diet of tyranids!!! :D

Wraith
11-05-2005, 08:34
I think people are confusing the idea that GW is actively working on a new 'big guys' army rather than simply 'putting the idea out there' as a concept they might re-visit a long time from now.

He Who Laughs
11-05-2005, 08:52
I think people are confusing the idea that GW is actively working on a new 'big guys' army rather than simply 'putting the idea out there' as a concept they might re-visit a long time from now.

I agree with you Wraith - if my memory serves me correctly, the first hints of a "hi-tech mechanical-suited all-shooty army" started circulating years before the term "Tau" started appearing in the rumour sections of Portent 1.0

We all must realise (and fortunately people most do) that the conception of new/revised armies (and espeically the plastics that go with them) can take years. Though I can't remember the specifics, take for example the new Rhino - I remember comparing the release date with the actual design date on Jes Goodwins final sketch - there was some 3-4years difference if I remember correctly. It won't happen over night.... but it will happen... :rolleyes:

rkunisch
11-05-2005, 10:47

Looks like I may have to eat my hat. :p
What? :eek: You woke my curiosity. Can you please reveal some more details?

Have fun,

Rolf.

Imbroglio
11-05-2005, 11:10
This is simply conjecture, but with Forge World having something of a Tau focus later ithis year with IA 3, it would be beneficial from a continuity point of view for the main company to follow with some mainstream Tau product.

I have suspicions that in effort to slightly increasing the codex production rate GW will look at easier armies that need less work, while dropping in more difficult ones at rare intervals. BT and Tau would be considered easy ones, followed by a harder one - Orks or Eldar, followed by a couple of easy ones - maybe DA and say Necrons.

This allows the studio to work on the hard ones for a while without having to turn their whole ficus on it, and still allows them to produce product at a slightly increased rate.

I wouldn't be surprised in 2006 to see 2 'easy' and 1 more 'difficult' codex realesed.

-- Imbroglio

Lion El Jason
11-05-2005, 11:35
Except they spend the same ammount of time developing each codex. I takes just as long to build BTs from the ground up as it does to build marines or 'nids from the ground up.

There is no "Easy" and "Difficult" codexes. They all get the same development resources and time applied to them.

rkunisch
11-05-2005, 13:38
Except they spend the same ammount of time developing each codex. I takes just as long to build BTs from the ground up as it does to build marines or 'nids from the ground up.

There is no "Easy" and "Difficult" codexes. They all get the same development resources and time applied to them.
This is simply not true. BT can use a lot of the work of the Space Marine codex as well as there will slightly fewer new models for this Codex. The same can also be true for the Tau. With fewer new models (especially plastics) and a nearly up-to-date codex they do not need the same resources as some other.

Have fun,

Rolf.

philbrad2
11-05-2005, 15:42

Agreed the codex, rules and playtesting is the 'easy' but. Getting the mini commissioned and into production is the thing that takes the time. We could after all have had Codex:SM's with no supporting miniature releases couldn't we... well couldn't we ??? :D

If what I've been told is true most of the devleopment work for 4th ed SM's Chapters being released with codices is already done. I't'll be their supporting miniature releases that takes the time up.

:cool:

t-tauri
11-05-2005, 16:04
In theory nearly all of the development on all the main Space Marine chapters (Wolves, Dark Angels, Blood Angels and BTs) was done alongside the main SM codex so all they really need is the art and miniatures support. That's why I believe if anything gets rushed forward it'll be another SM codex.

As regards Tau maybe we'll see more of a v3.5 revision to match in with Taros? I don't know if this is a "Chinese Whisper" where unconfirmed rumour on one site spreads round the net but there seems little concrete confirmation unless Brimstone has something he needs to get off his chest?

Xisor
11-05-2005, 16:51
Just to add another little bit of 'heat' to the fire:

One the BFG SG Message Boards, under playtest rules, I put up a suggestion detailing proposed changes to the way the Kroot are represented in the Game, and it seems that there's been some mention(according to one of the MODs) of reworking the Kroot Rules slightly. In addition, there's been alot of extra thought put into the Kroot at the moment.

Perhaps this is an indication that they ae being reworked 'across the board' alongside the Tau? I suppose the release of the Tau after BT would be aimed to support any influx created by the release of the Taros Campaign books. Hopeflly this will see a unification of style and fluff/background across all of GWs areas, including:

1 vs 1(Inquisitor Style and level)
Skirmish(40k)
Massive(EpicArmageddon)
Fleet(BFG both SG an FW)
Political(how the various components of the Tau Empire interact, and perhaps a detailed expansion fluff-wise of the component races of the Empire, including the Kroot, Nicassar and Demiurg)

I suspect this could all be a big indication...what's everyone elses thoughts?

Xisor

Negafex
11-05-2005, 17:02
i think personally the kroot needed to be looked at as in my opinion they are next to useless as far as close combat goes, i mean theyve got good weapon skill and all but THEY DONT START WITH A SAVE or they can get a crap save if you pay the twenty some odd points for a krappy shaper.

Sgt John Keel
16-05-2005, 20:54
I agree with you Wraith - if my memory serves me correctly, the first hints of a "hi-tech mechanical-suited all-shooty army" started circulating years before the term "Tau" started appearing in the rumour sections of Portent 1.0

How happy I would have been if that had been a Mechanicus army.

However, I curse GW for updating the Tau codex. The only positive with that is that they hopefully won't spend any greater lenght of time on it.

/Adrian

boogle
16-05-2005, 21:31
actually the shaper is a cool upgrade and has cause a lot of wounds in the games i've played

john-connors
23-05-2005, 08:23
I thought the Tau were supposed to be gaining a new allied race as part of their greater good? A large brutish hand to hand race would fit in nicely, and be the next stage up from Kroot.

boogle
23-05-2005, 08:32
that would round them out too much, i have a feeling that the only alienesque bits in there will be the Human Auxilla (well they are alien to the Tau)

personally i would just rather see more Drone types

GreatWolf
23-05-2005, 15:05

I agree. It seems they have enough on their hands just catching up on existing codices. Where's my 4th ed SPACE WOLVES codex GW?!?!?!

Captain Marius
24-05-2005, 10:25
I think that working on Tau is a good way of ensuring the Eldar or Ork revamp is as successful as it can be. While the developers do the Tau codex, the artists and sculptors would have plenty of time to work on Eldar or Orks so by the time the codex was released it will be of the best quality. As has been said, Tau need so little work anyway that their new codex would be little more than a formality; in my opinion this might result in the Tau themselves suffering if the developers' focus is on something else.

boogle
24-05-2005, 14:15
well if the reaction to Eldar and Orks is anything like the reaction to Wood Elves in WFB, then hopefully it'll be worth the wait

The Beast
01-06-2005, 12:58
Besides, how would you explain how some dumb as rocks ogres crossed inter stellar space to fight the many armies. The orks are pretty sketchy as it is.

Xisor
01-06-2005, 13:13
Well, obviously it wouldn't be a straight lift of OK + Space. It'd be thematically Ogre, but perhaps with a bit more intellect, a bit more 'idea' behind it to give it a bare bone of plausibility!

I would see GW if they do approach this project by detailing a simply 'large' race with it's own backstory, it needn't parallel the Ogres at all. The point of it would be to play 'akin' to the Ogres, in that niche, not simply be Ogres.

Xisor

sigur
01-06-2005, 14:05
I agree. It seems they have enough on their hands just catching up on existing codices. Where's my 4th ed SPACE WOLVES codex GW?!?!?!

Space Marines players should never be allowed to rant. ;)

I also think that the idea of a soon-to-come (in GW terms) re-vamp of the Tau codex is at least questionable. What will be the next thing to **** off Eldar and Ork players? Just because they tend not to be kiddies and a bit more loyal players?

hood_oz
01-06-2005, 23:18
Space Marines players should never be allowed to rant. ;)

never? but I am so wanting to rant about the lack of a FAQ for the SM, and the fact they don't have all their troops in plastic, and they have to..... Just kidding. :D

I also think that the idea of a soon-to-come (in GW terms) re-vamp of the Tau codex is at least questionable. What will be the next thing to **** off Eldar and Ork players? Just because they tend not to be kiddies and a bit more loyal players?

I dont think it is questionable, it has nothing to do with loyal gamers. Sorry guys, it just doesn't. THink of it as a financial decision. They want to sell more miniatures, fix a few minor things, move the background on a little, and have enough time up their sleeve from doing a quicker codex to focus more on the codex after. (eldar from what I am hearing) And there is never any INTENT to **** off players. How hard do you think it is to make the Big Ork Vehicle or the Ork modular vehicle? That in itself is a logistical nightmare. A kit that can make any of the smaller vehicles, or can be combined to make larger vehicles? Not an easy creation. However far they have got with the rules, we still need the plastics and artwork to catch up so the codex can be rolled out, finished and lovely.

I am happy to wait, as my fingers are crossed for plastic gretchin. Fingers, toes all crossed, thinking happy thoughts, even with a sprinkle of fairy dust.... oh, thats not fairy dust, thats just whizz fizz.

Patience everyone, you will get some stuff WORTH waiting for.