PDA

View Full Version : Seeking some advice regarding army - specifically chaos/imperial guard.

xsamx
04-09-2009, 20:52
Hi guys,

Ive almost finished my warriors of chaos army for fantasy and i am looking for a project for the next (academic) year. I never have much time for the hobby whilst at uni working, so i am looking for an army i can spend a fair bit of time on over the year, that has relatively few models in it but is still game-effective.

I decided 40k is a good starting point, as most fantasy armies generally have more models.

I have, i think, decided on either a chaos death guard/nurgle army, or an imperial guard army.

Now i have a few questions i was hoping you 40k'ers could answer for me;

Chaos:
Is an all nurgle army game-able? Or will i just get my butt handed to me constantly?
Am i right in thinking a 1500pt army of death guard would be relatively small model wise? as im on a budget and as stated, wont have time to work on large numbers?

Guard:
Is it possible to do a guard army that is effective with a lowish model count with the new codex?
If so what kind of guard army would i be looking at?
Could i do vostroyan, or would the options im looking for limit me to cadian/catachan?

Hope you guys can help me to decide on my next project as ive been out of 40k a long time and i am a bit lost, and dont want to go spending money without being sure first!

IAMNOTHERE
04-09-2009, 20:56
Death Guard are doable in 1500pts.

It sounds like you want to keep it fluffy which is cool so max out troops choices in rhinos.

Cult lists tend to struggle with anti tak for some reason but vindicators, predators and defliers are your friends.

Grubnar
05-09-2009, 01:07
In terms of money, the Death Guard chaos space marine army will be alot cheeper than (even a small) Imperial Guard army. At 1.500 pts you can fit alot of stuff into an IG army! Even if you go veterans and use alot of expensive options.

Also, the chaos space marines are much better suited to what you are trying to do, a small, hard hitting, elite force.

Now, with that beeing said, I personally hope you go for the Guard, since they are a much more varied and characterfull army.

Finn
05-09-2009, 01:44
I vote Chaos. EDIT: Because with Guard, you'll have a lot more models to buy/paint. At minimum in a 1500 point list you'd need 25 infantry models, and then you'd either have to spend a lot of money on tanks or buy/paint yet more infantry.

Plague Marines weigh in at 280 for a full squad of 10 with 2 meltaguns (or 211 if you use Nurgle's favored number of 7, which I would just for fun). Add a rhino and you can field 3 of these units for your troops in a 1500 force and still have half your points left for an HQ and support.

You can also opt for Chaos Marines with a mark of Nurgle (excuse me, Icon) - cheaper, but no fearless or feel no pain, and you have to have 10 models in the squad in order to get two special weapons.

For HQ, you can grab a DP with mark of Nurgle, wings, and Nurgle's Rot (small strength AoE attack that you can use all the time) for 165.

You'd then need some stuff that hits harder than bolters. Vindicators would be nice, I'd field 2 of them if you aren't going to field any obliterators.

Of course, even all those suggestions put together would leave you with a few spare points probably...but just some ideas to get you started.

baphomael
05-09-2009, 12:43
Yea, death guard would probably be a better bet (though a nicely themed guard army is a joy to work on). With IG you'll need a lot of models to get even a small tabletop force. Guardsmen are cheap in points. Very cheap. I suppose the smallest type of army you could do is mechanised carapace-armoured Veteran army, but you'll still need several models (minimum of 25 infantry - command, two squads of veterans, plus chimeras and support tanks).

As noted, Death Guard might be a better option. Plus, if money isnt as much of an issue, forgeworld's death guard stuff is jaw dropping and (if this is something you want to work on over a year) they'd be a joy to paint. The FW upgrade set costs the same as a GW plaguemarine box, but you'd still need some plastics for the arms and legs.

susu.exp
05-09-2009, 13:05
An all nurgle army is very playable. PMs are rock solid and with a few Rhinos you have quite a powerful list. Take the two special weapons the Squad can take, add a fist to the Champion (you are generally going to strike last anyway, so the fist doesnīt have a lot of downsides) and use transports as well as a tank or two to distract fire from the transports. Anti-tank can be an issue, but you can give each unit of PM 2 meltaguns, and add a Melta combi to the Champ and Rhino (Ride the Rhino forward and you get 2 shots from the firing ports). Your army will be rather small, as the DG are expensive. A 7 strong unit with a champ, 2 meltas, Fist, Rhino and CM on Champ and Rhino will rack up 276 points.

xsamx
05-09-2009, 13:30
Thanks for all your input guys. I think ill be going with the Death Guard army at this point, im sure a guard army will be sorted next summer hols alongside an empire army, as 3 free months is a lot more time to focus on a larger project!

I dont own the chaos codex yet (willdo shortly) but how does something like this sound, taking onboard the advice given so far...

HQ
Daemon Prince as someone mentioned above (will tweak to personal taste)

Troops
PM x7 , Rhino
PM x7, Rhino
PM x7, Rhino

Heavy Support
Vindicator
Vindicator

---Possible options for remaining points:
Obliterators (in addition to the Vindi's)
Terminator Squad(s) (Forge world death guard ones!)
Spawns

I know you cant give me exact info and ill find out exactly when i grab the codex tomorrow, but is this a good idea and possible at 1500? Is there any other options that would be fluffy and effective that ive missed? Which of the options seems more sensible?

Thanks everso much for the help guys

susu.exp
05-09-2009, 13:42
The list looks nice. I run a Lord rather than a price (you lose immunity to ID there, but you can take a deamon weapon and can hide him in Squads, running 150) und my Vindis are on order. Iīve found small units of Raptors and Chosen with Meltaguns and CC-weapons work well (one able to DS and pop tanks or heavy infantry, then ready to assault the next turn, the other able to flank and do the same with the benefit of being to assault the turn they arrive). I havenīt had any luck with Termies.

xsamx
05-09-2009, 13:49
Chosen sound cool, and i reckon i could nurgle-ize them so they fit the fluffyness. I am always skeptical of termies as so many armies field enough AP1/2 firepower to knock them out quickly, or at least they did when i played loyalists.

Born Again
05-09-2009, 13:57
I'd be going with DG. The list looks cool, fluffy and effective. Agreed the FW DG Termies are awesome, also spawn, while not thought of highly by many people from a competitive viewpoint, would be a great modelling project for a nurgle army.

IAMNOTHERE
05-09-2009, 14:06
Remember that possession is your friend when it comes to vindicators. They'll get a lot of fire and being able to shot no matter what is awsome.

Don't be afraid of adding daemons in, cheep scoring units that come off any icon are excellent.

Finn
05-09-2009, 20:49
An all nurgle army is very playable. PMs are rock solid and with a few Rhinos you have quite a powerful list. Take the two special weapons the Squad can take, add a fist to the Champion (you are generally going to strike last anyway, so the fist doesnīt have a lot of downsides) and use transports as well as a tank or two to distract fire from the transports. Anti-tank can be an issue, but you can give each unit of PM 2 meltaguns, and add a Melta combi to the Champ and Rhino (Ride the Rhino forward and you get 2 shots from the firing ports). Your army will be rather small, as the DG are expensive. A 7 strong unit with a champ, 2 meltas, Fist, Rhino and CM on Champ and Rhino will rack up 276 points.

I'm not sure the combi-meltas would be necessary and are costly. I'd also like to point out that Chaos Rhinos only have 1 fire point.

Another thing you might check out is a Nurgle Lord with a poisoned daemon weapon. 135 points with nothing but the mark and weapon, he'd be a decent MC killer in addition to taking down T4 and less in CC (re-rolling that poison).

susu.exp
05-09-2009, 21:25
I'm not sure the combi-meltas would be necessary and are costly. I'd also like to point out that Chaos Rhinos only have 1 fire point.

Holy heck. I always thought it had been brought in line with the others.

Another thing you might check out is a Nurgle Lord with a poisoned daemon weapon. 135 points with nothing but the mark and weapon, he'd be a decent MC killer in addition to taking down T4 and less in CC (re-rolling that poison).

Heīs 150 points and IMHO better suited to taking out units. I havenīt had great success against MCs (though this may be down to rolling 1s for the DW against them. Out of the last 6 combats he saw, 5 were 1s and the only one not against a MC was the one where I did roll a 3 for a change).

squeekenator
05-09-2009, 22:17
Spawn are a... controversial choice, being very random and not all that effective at the best of times, but if you only take one or two you'll be fine. Don't do it to be competitive, though, because that's the one thing they aren't. Only get them for the looks.

It has been. Check the FAQ.

susu.exp
05-09-2009, 22:24
It has been. Check the FAQ.

Good to know I havenīt cheated... I remember seeing 2FPs somewhere and played it as such. When Finn posted his reply I checked the Codex and went :eek:

CKO
05-09-2009, 23:27
Chaos would be cheaper but you could make a mechvet list with IG.

Finn
05-09-2009, 23:57

Heīs 150 points and IMHO better suited to taking out units. I havenīt had great success against MCs (though this may be down to rolling 1s for the DW against them. Out of the last 6 combats he saw, 5 were 1s and the only one not against a MC was the one where I did roll a 3 for a change).

Um...lol @ self.

Yes, I knew that he was 150. I looked at the wrong entry for the weapon (the Terminator side), and the sad (funny) part is that's the second time in two days I've done that when looking up points values.
Ah, I'd forgotten about the FAQ on the Rhino. When I checked it, I wasn't playing Chaos yet - forgive my mistakes :rolleyes:.

No argument there, the Nurgle lord is better suited to taking out units, but he's at least some sort of MC protection. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the dice. When it comes to rolling 1's, I haven't had Kharn kill a 'zerker in a while...much to my roommate's chagrin :p.