PDA

View Full Version : Pure Slaanesh deamon army

Erebion
04-09-2009, 23:35
Main Question:
Could a pure Slaanesh army be both competitive (playing in a non-power gaming group) while not being an army that would be complained about? I don't like any leadership bombs ect.

Points wise it would be running around 2250.
I am thinking of 6 fiends of Slaanesh, unit or two of Seekers of Slaanesh and several units of 15-20 Deamettes? Either a geared up deamon prince or a non-tooled up keeper of Secrets for general.

Thanks

Jind_Singh
05-09-2009, 09:16
yes and yes, just keep an eye on what icons your core units take, and keep an eye on your upgrades for the characters
but the army would be awesome - i know as i run one and its excellent - sooooo fast!!!

dsw1
05-09-2009, 16:46
yes and yes, just keep an eye on what icons your core units take, and keep an eye on your upgrades for the characters
but the army would be awesome - i know as i run one and its excellent - sooooo fast!!!

Agreed, although I use the Ld bomb, but not for terror (as terror nowerdays is worthless). I use it for boosting my keeper and heralds in CC. Nothing is more fun than watching a unit testing at -5ld to try and attack your keeper ;) (the only source of upper end Strength in the list).

The only downside to this list (which will be worse with out the ld bomb) is anything with armour or a high[er] T (Ogres do very well against this list due average T4 and fear, as do bretonians with high armour and fast movement).

sulla
05-09-2009, 20:48
The only real problem with an all slaaneshi list is the lack of punch outside of GD's. A daemon prince doesn't really cut it and heralds and your units will have real problems defeating anything with t4 and armour.

This generally leads to maximising on siren songs and the Ld bomb. A little boring to play against but you don't really have a lot of other options.

Briohmar
06-09-2009, 11:27
Etherblades n Heralds solves the hitting quandry. in 2250 you can get three units of 15 Nettes with Aluress and Banners (go with the stubborn on first test,) to units of 6 furies, 2 units of 5 Seekers each with Siren Standard, 2 units of 2 Fiends, a Keeper with all the trappings and Lvl 4, 2 Level 1 Heralds, one with Icon of Despair on Steeds, and the Masque. This gives you 9 deployable units plus characters (nice fair amount, and gives a lot of flexibility.) You will have 8 casting dice, 6 dispells, to Heralds with Etherblades chopping up armored dudes like nobody's business, ASF on your two heralded units, plus you have 7 things that move 20." But don't charge too early, unless its shooty stuff (I love the look on a Lizard Player's face whne you charge his razordons from 6 inches away as he picks up his dice to roll his stand and shoot and you tell him he doesn't get it.) Plus you have the Keeper and the furies to take out Warmachines, Fiends to control the flanks, and a solid infantry force to move up the middle.

My favorite quote about Slaanesh is that its a scalpel, not a bludgeon. It must be used with skill and precision, or it will be torn apart.

dsw1
06-09-2009, 12:34
Etherblades n Heralds solves the hitting quandry. in 2250 you can get three units of 15 Nettes with Aluress and Banners (go with the stubborn on first test,) to units of 6 furies, 2 units of 5 Seekers each with Siren Standard, 2 units of 2 Fiends, a Keeper with all the trappings and Lvl 4, 2 Level 1 Heralds, one with Icon of Despair on Steeds, and the Masque. This gives you 9 deployable units plus characters (nice fair amount, and gives a lot of flexibility.) You will have 8 casting dice, 6 dispells, to Heralds with Etherblades chopping up armored dudes like nobody's business, ASF on your two heralded units, plus you have 7 things that move 20." But don't charge too early, unless its shooty stuff (I love the look on a Lizard Player's face whne you charge his razordons from 6 inches away as he picks up his dice to roll his stand and shoot and you tell him he doesn't get it.) Plus you have the Keeper and the furies to take out Warmachines, Fiends to control the flanks, and a solid infantry force to move up the middle.

My favorite quote about Slaanesh is that its a scalpel, not a bludgeon. It must be used with skill and precision, or it will be torn apart.

about identical to the list I take apart from a few things.

Mine is 2k so 3 units of 10 daemonettes and only 1 herald (without the ether blade). It is an effective list to take, I'd recommend it to any slanneshy player.

Jind_Singh
08-09-2009, 06:37
and you know what? I swear with my 2 units of 3 strong fiends - 12 attacks, normally hitting on 4's (against knights of any kind), so 6 hits. Wounding on 3's, so 4 wounds, off which they fluff 1 or 2. Now thats an average roll...with a 20" charge you bet you should be hitting flanks/rears, so you get +1 for kills, +1 for flank, and +1 for outnumber (v's a 5 strong unit). They have maybe +1 for banner so you win by 2, auto-break for the buggers! If it's chaos knights it's more tricksy but is easily done - just kill 1 knight so theres no attacks back!
2 units of fiends - best thing to have happened to chaos deamons since sliced bread! I rate them better than fleshounds just for their incredible speed and 12 attacks!

tricker53
08-09-2009, 10:46
are siren song charges moved before normal charges? pretty sure they are but i dont think it mentions it anywhere. . . and a friend of mine complains that he could block a siren song charge with a normal charge.

i find siren songs pretty difficult to use effectively, can i get some reasons why theyre considered awesome and possibly some tactics with them as well? i play against a lot of WoC so getting charged isnt great.

tricker53
08-09-2009, 10:49
with the flesh hound VS fiend thing, flesh hounds may have less A but they cost less and have a narrower frontage (25mm VS 40mm) so get more models in a combat. also, theyre MR3!

Briohmar
08-09-2009, 11:29
are siren song charges moved before normal charges? pretty sure they are but i dont think it mentions it anywhere. . . and a friend of mine complains that he could block a siren song charge with a normal charge.

i find siren songs pretty difficult to use effectively, can i get some reasons why theyre considered awesome and possibly some tactics with them as well? i play against a lot of WoC so getting charged isnt great.

Siren Song is situational, and thus a strategic use gift. Your friend is right in that a regular charge could block the Siren charge, depending on when he moves the chargers, though in tournament play, this is dodgy as in tournaments, chargers must be moved in order declared, so if you use Siren at the start of the phase, it should be the first move. Even still, if you siren a warmachine, and another unit charges first, the warmachine has to move as a failed charge, and can't shoot.

Frequently I won't even use the Siren song on my Keeper because things just work out that way. Its 50 points of hit or miss, but the psychological value of having it makes your opponent worry, even if you don't use it. If you put Siren and etherblade on your Keeper, rather than the normal kit out with troment blade and allure, then you really want your Keeper to be charged. 6 attacks hitting on 3's wounding on 2s with no armor save allowed is the bane of Chaos Knights.

dsw1
08-09-2009, 14:37
Frequently I won't even use the Siren song on my Keeper because things just work out that way. Its 50 points of hit or miss, but the psychological value of having it makes your opponent worry, even if you don't use it. If you put Siren and etherblade on your Keeper, rather than the normal kit out with troment blade and allure, then you really want your Keeper to be charged. 6 attacks hitting on 3's wounding on 2s with no armor save allowed is the bane of Chaos Knights.

Were as you are correct it is VERY nasty (ether blade + sirensong), I just want to ask, what's the point? I mean it is good against knights, don't get me wrong, but it is pointless against most other stuff. I say this because you already get a -4 to armour saves anyway, so anything with a 3+ or more save is screwed. Again, 2+ saves have a 1/6 chance of saving, chaos knights have a 1/3 chance.

I would rather go with my normal combo (siren, torment, allure and enrapturing gaze) as it is just as effective against knights as it is troops (the +1 attack from the torment blade REALLY does help ;)).

Edit: I think that's my normal set-up, I can't remember.

Briohmar
08-09-2009, 14:45
Yes that is the standard kit out. I actually only take the etherblade if I am likely to face Empire with a STank and lots of Knights. Otherwise I go with Allure, Torment and Gaze as well.

dsw1
08-09-2009, 15:15
Yes that is the standard kit out. I actually only take the etherblade if I am likely to face Empire with a STank and lots of Knights. Otherwise I go with Allure, Torment and Gaze as well.

Ah, the Stank... Tomorrow I'll be facing 3 of these Plus franz on dragon... :cries:. It's a 6k game, Brets 2k, My daemons of slannesh 2K and Khorne daemons 2K Vs 6k of Empire.

Should be interesting, Thirster + keeper on the same team with a Bret lord created to take out large monsters :D.

shartmatau
08-09-2009, 15:19
just to point out Siren Song doesn't affect any order of declaring charges.

The affected unit must declare a charge or flee, simple as that. It makes no reference to it happening before any other charge declarations. So its perfectly reasonable to declare other charges first, which could then prevent the Sirened unit from charging and thus having a failed charge. Its completely situational of course, but its possible.

As for the Slannesh army in general. Its pretty good. Being basically the fastest army there is, causing fear and plethora of armor piercing attacks. Most normal troops can't fight well against these demons and the demon player will choose who is fighting where.

The biggest downfall is anyone with good shooting and better magic. Demons have pretty bad magic defense. And other fear causing armies, like undead. T4 armies may do well but i think the shear number of attacks will overwhelm T4.

Erebion
08-09-2009, 23:16
Thanks everyone for the advice and discussion.

Another question, for thematic purposes what would be a good race / adversary to decorate the bases of my Slaanesh warriors with their fallen corpses :D

shartmatau
09-09-2009, 02:29
Bloodletters of course

dsw1
09-09-2009, 04:45
Thanks everyone for the advice and discussion.

Another question, for thematic purposes what would be a good race / adversary to decorate the bases of my Slaanesh warriors with their fallen corpses :D

Have you read the slannesh fluff? There are several rings around slanneshy lands which tempt people with different things. Eg. The firs ring is greed (if I remember right) then gluttony etc etc. why not model the unit's bases around that. Daemonettes - little pieces of gold over their bases and then corpses of humans next to the piles, Then on seeker bases try food and wine etc etc.

I'm planning to do that, but I just haven't the time or patients :P

isidril93
09-09-2009, 20:05
i guess they are like a glass hammer...fast, brutal bot can fall apart

N810
09-09-2009, 20:34
Shue,
your oponent will be so distracted by all the purple boobies that he will forget what he was doing. :p

tricker53
10-09-2009, 01:18
Even still, if you siren a warmachine, and another unit charges first, the warmachine has to move as a failed charge, and can't shoot.

are you sure about this? iirc siren song states if the charge is failed, nothing happens.

timff8
07-12-2009, 03:36
I didn't see anything in the DoC book that says anything special would happen. It just says the target must "declare a charge" which I assume means that the normal procedure for charding is worked out, including failed charges.

AussieSocks
07-12-2009, 13:10
Daemons.

People will complain.

Some rightly so.

DivineVisitor
09-12-2009, 16:32
just to point out Siren Song doesn't affect any order of declaring charges.

The affected unit must declare a charge or flee, simple as that. It makes no reference to it happening before any other charge declarations. So its perfectly reasonable to declare other charges first, which could then prevent the Sirened unit from charging and thus having a failed charge. Its completely situational of course, but its possible.

Siren Song must be declared before the enemy declares his charges so it will be the first charge declared that turn.

The unit also has the be able to charge under the normal warhammer rules. If in the case the opponent is out of range from his charge Siren Song is expended and the unit is not affected. Therefore Siren Song should never initiate a failed charge.