PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Chaos Dwarf book

Necromancy Black
05-09-2009, 10:17
I know plenty of people here love Chaos Dwarves and I was surprised to not see this posted here yet.

Basically, a PDF of a fan made Army Book for CD has been made and is free to download. Having read through the book they've done a bloody good job, easily of the same quality as what GW would produce (except for maybe some of the art work)

Check it out here: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63330

I would actually love to see some people play this army. The balance looks to be around Lizardmen-WoC.

isidril93
05-09-2009, 10:25
ill have a look through it...hope its good, just loaded it

Ultimate Life Form
05-09-2009, 10:30
The artwork is 'ghastly' as someone noted, but I came to realize that the unit section artist probably tried to copy John Blanche's already ghastly style there (see DoC/VC books) and he did a damn good job doing it.

That being said, it is a great source for people like me who weren't around back then and want to know more about their background (though sadly, it did put me off instead of attracting me. Stunties just aren't my style, and it seems evil stunties even less so). I think it's a very interesting army.

(And why the hell does the author constantly refer to anything green as 'Goblinoids'?:wtf: It gives me the creeps! It sounds like biology class, not like a fantasy book. Save this stuff for 40K. Besides, what happened to the term 'Orcoid'? Calling a bad-tempered 5 meters Black Orc Boss a Goblinoid is a bit beside the point, no? That's what the term GREENSKIN exists for, for God's sake, so USE IT!)

The only gripe is that GW now finally has no reason left why they should ever do the work themselves and realease a proper Army Book.

tortoise
05-09-2009, 10:52
(And why the hell does the author constantly refer to anything green as 'Goblinoids'?:wtf: It gives me the creeps! It sounds like biology class, not like a fantasy book. Save this stuff for 40K. Besides, what happened to the term 'Orcoid'? Calling a bad-tempered 5 meters Black Orc Boss a Goblinoid is a bit beside the point, no? That's what the term GREENSKIN exists for, for God's sake, so USE IT!)

Back in the day 'goblinoid' was the encompassing term for the all the greenskin races (goblins, orcs, hobgoblins and snotlings) so presumably they just carried on this tradition. I've no idea if that's because the term was still in use when the previous CD army list was published (as I never read it as I'd dropped out of warhammer during that period) or if they're just nostalgia freaks.

Vermin-thing
05-09-2009, 11:04
I'm already building a 2250 point list. I put it up on the armylist forum. :D
BTW PROTIP: dwarf warriors + chaos marauders + ????? = profit!

I hope they update the art in version 2. It might seem odd or "sketchy", but it think it could be a bit more "solid" and defined on the characters, and CD core units. (general hallmark units) The hob-gob art looks good though.

Col. Tartleton
05-09-2009, 14:23
Wow, that's really good. I actually like a lot of the artwork. The better stuff isn't quite to par with GW level stuff, but it's got a bold look to it. The less bold and refined art isn't as good though.

Overall, really special. The example armies are really well modeled, some of them are pretty average, but some are far better than I'd expected.

Stuffburger
05-09-2009, 15:11
I was pleasantly surprised by the whole book- didn't catch any glaringly useless or overpowered units or items, there's plenty of variety and the army definitely has it's own feel, though somewhat akin to a mix of skaven, dwarves, and O&G.

Sneaky gits shouldn't have a standard bearer or musician option though, and +2 attacks to the rear is excessive. AP or KB may have been more appropriate.

Bregalad
05-09-2009, 18:39
I know plenty of people here love Chaos Dwarves and I was surprised to not see this posted here yet.
I am also surprised that you didn't see it posted here on Warseer, as it was
posted in the following threads:
"The Indy GT Dwarfs of Chaos Army Book" http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218155 (Fantasy General Discussion Forum)
"ITíS HERE! The Indy GT Dwarfs of Chaos Army Book " http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217941 (Fantasy News & Rumour Discussion Forum)

t-tauri
05-09-2009, 19:09
Thread closed. Please try a search before opening a new thread especially if you're "surprised to not see this posted here yet".