PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Priest and or Arch Lectors

TAW
05-09-2009, 10:38
This thread is just a general delve into whether the warrior priets and it`s improved form are any good in an empire army. And, if you would spare some thinking, how they may be used tactically in a few different army setups.

MasterSparks
05-09-2009, 13:25
I've fought a friend of mine who plays as the Empire and his Arch Lector and Warrior Priests have always made their presence noticed in our battles. I play VC by the way.

The hatred is really useful when given to a unit of Inner Circle Knights and the additional dispel dice is never a bad thing. They're basically a sort of defensive Wizard with some added close combat potential that passively enhances friendly units. I'd certainly make use of them myself if I played the Imperials. :)

Captain Plowman
05-09-2009, 14:47
I love warrior priests. They are great. Hatred and DD, and decent combat ability, and maybe even the odd prayer getting through, or even just burning up enemy dispel dice. These guys are nifty, especially when used en masse. The Arch Lector is only good when used atop the war altar, and then he is super nifty :)

snottlebocket
05-09-2009, 14:55
This thread is just a general delve into whether the warrior priets and it`s improved form are any good in an empire army. And, if you would spare some thinking, how they may be used tactically in a few different army setups.

They're the most worthwhile character choices in the empire army.

Keller
08-09-2009, 16:00
I used to love Warrior Priests in 6th edition, and longed for an Arch Lector to lead my army. There was a White Dwarf that later released them, and I was ecstatic. They (both Lectors and WPs) are great characters that provide the much needed Ld boost to your units, while supporting the army by helping stop enemy spells, drawing dispel dice, and allowing the helpful hatred-rerolls.

However, I must note that I have fallen out of using any priests. While they are great support characters, they are expensive. With only Heavy armor and T4, they are not very survivable, so need some magic armor, and only have 2 sub-par WS attacks, meaning they won't swing combat much themselves.

As my army theme moved to a more militaristic one, I began using Captains and Electors more and more. These characters, while far from spectacular, provide the all-important Ld boost, along with a chance of helping combat, for a much cheaper cost. I regularly field captains w/ Plate and Halbers (a total of 62 points) which is a great savings over the priests with a piece of magical armor. Granted, the Captain only has T4 and a 4+ save, but the WS 5 goes a long way to protecting against normal troopers, and he is cheap enough to be disposable. The best part is, by replacing my priests with captains'
generals, I can afford twice the supporting detachments (usually missile screening archers) or even a whole additional regiment of halberdiers.

Are the priests good? Absolutely, but their expense should be considered as well. I tend to use the cheaper option of Captains/Generals, but there has been many games I wished for the extra protection afforded by the priest's dispel dice. Fortunately, my plan is just to load up on targets to soak up the extra casualties I may have from magic, so it works out well for me.

Nkari
16-09-2009, 13:51
I just wish their castvalue of their priest spells where alot higher, so your oponent would have to atleast use 2 dice to dispell it on 50/40.. as it stands now its to easy to dispell.. =(

Nathangonmad
16-09-2009, 15:22
I've seen them put to good use as ''extra spells'' Like you spend allot of your dice dispelling the lvl 4s and the lvl 2s s[ells then his 2 warrior priests make 2 units unbreakable.

Keller
16-09-2009, 18:21
I just wish their castvalue of their priest spells where alot higher, so your oponent would have to atleast use 2 dice to dispell it on 50/40.. as it stands now its to easy to dispell.. =(

Agreed. I wish they'd have put some of the items from the Cult of Ulric into the new 7th ed book, those that enabled boosts to the preists casting values. I know those were Ulrican items and these are Sigmar priests, but surely they could have just made new ones for the right god.

The + rank bonus to PL, or one use only +x to cast would be great to have. I remember my CoU army with a ton of prayers which were very hard to stop, though they were far from devestating they did help.

Arguleon-veq
16-09-2009, 19:47
I use 3 Priest in my Army;

1st Mounted with Inner Circle Knights Panther.
2nd Mounted with Inner Circle Knights of the White Wolf.
3rd on Foot with Greatswords.

Hatred is great for all of these hard hitting units. I also have a few bound on them [Icon of Magnus with the Greatswords obviously].

All those bounds +

Arch Lector on Alter.

Often lets me get a few of my bounds off even against magic heavy armies, especially once I reach combat and have SoulFire going off all over the place.

Mine are Priests of Ulric though using the Storm of Chaos models but Warrior Priests of Sigmar Rules.

Cortomaltese
17-09-2009, 00:27
i think their great heroes, very useful for an empire army: as lots of us already said, stick them into an hard hitting cavalry unit can be a great deal..
but i often use them also in large blocks of infantry: first of all, nothing stops you to field them on horse in the unit of infantry, granting them a very nice 2+ armour save, without using magical items..
then u can add a good weapon for some kind of punching, or the rod of command/icon of magnus to grant some psichology boost to the poor state troops.

when using priest in an army with an archmage u can cast ur prayer as first spells and u'll burn 1 dice, or get your hochlander reroll to hit and wound, or the unit unbreakable, or heal some wound.. add the boundspell from the ring and u'll have 2-3 enemy's dispel dice away each turn by a model who have an average leadership and average fighting role.. :)

and modelwise.. i really like ulric priests (have 2 in my army), and sincerely i like the sigmarian newest one too.. both with 2 handed weapon or big big hammer.. i like their shaved fool face, and an armour quite too heavy to respect fluff ;)