PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grave Guard question

Silent Tristero
05-09-2009, 16:05
I have 15 of the old metal Grave Guard, and would very much like to use them; they don't look particularly outdated compared to the current range (An advantage of undead, I suppose).

The problem is, they have halberds and shields modelled on; now the halberds will have to simply become Great Weapons, as that's the only option for the unit now. I'm 99% certain they can't keep the shield at all if they upgrade to GW's, but there's a rather ugly point on each left arm where the plasic shield is attatched (about half of my models have shields glued on); would the shields staying on be a problem during a game? (I guess the issue would be 'WYSIWYG', and simply forgetting that they don't have shields and rolling the wrong saves.)

How viable are GW's tactically? ASL is the obvious downside, but I figured with the 2 spells available to counter this, it's worth taking them.

Boreas_NL
05-09-2009, 16:13
They can keep their shields, even if they have great weapons. In combat you must make a choice, either use hand weapon and shield or use your great weapon.

Toads77
05-09-2009, 17:05
No, Grave guard must replace their shields in order to get great weapons.

I would trim the knob where the shield goes and use greenstuff to add armour, or cloth there or if you have the right bits just glue some random armor at that point. Not much else you can do.

The Red Scourge
05-09-2009, 18:59
ASL? Sorry to break it to you, but you're dead. With I3 you'll be striking last anyways - unless you get one of those nifty corpse carts :)

I really like the S6. There are plenty of monsters and STanks out there, who won't give a hoot about S4 hits and Killing Blow. The AS 3+ is nice too, but you've already got T4 and invocations and possibly regeneration, so I prefer doing some damage.

Regarding the models. I wouldn't bother or even give a hoot as long as they look good, are painted, and you make sure to tell me how they're equipped, when you dump them on the table :)

Silent Tristero
05-09-2009, 19:46
I do really like the models; not seen the updated ones in person, but from the photos in the book/WD, I'm not keen on them.

For now I think I will just make a clearly written note on my Army List that the GG do not have shields, so I can remember to point it out to opponents. If it becomes an issue (Can't see that happening myself, but I can't speak for potential opponents), I'll rip 'em off I suppose.

The downside I've discovered since uncovering the unit in their box, is that I don't have a command for them...That may be more tricky to overcome. Could theoretically convert one of the halberds into a banner...

Skywave
05-09-2009, 20:05
Those halberd wielding grave guard are one of the best grave guard model (wish I had some!), and they're definitly worth using :)

Great weapon replace shield, so technicaly you can't have both, but in friendly game if you tell your oponent what they have it shoudn't matter.

As for ASL, you have some way to counter this with spells and the cart, so it's not that bad.

sulla
05-09-2009, 21:01
I have 15 of the old metal Grave Guard, and would very much like to use them; they don't look particularly outdated compared to the current range (An advantage of undead, I suppose).

The problem is, they have halberds and shields modelled on; now the halberds will have to simply become Great Weapons, as that's the only option for the unit now. I'm 99% certain they can't keep the shield at all if they upgrade to GW's, but there's a rather ugly point on each left arm where the plasic shield is attatched (about half of my models have shields glued on); would the shields staying on be a problem during a game? (I guess the issue would be 'WYSIWYG', and simply forgetting that they don't have shields and rolling the wrong saves.)

How viable are GW's tactically? ASL is the obvious downside, but I figured with the 2 spells available to counter this, it's worth taking them.

1) Use the models... they are gorgeous.
2) Leave the shields on them; just tell your opponent what they are equipped with before the battle. This allows you the versatility of changing the option from battle to battle if you wish.
3) Not only corspe carts and vanhel's, but also a wight king with the regen banner can help out this unit in combat.

Herbert West
05-09-2009, 23:04
Don't lay a hand on those magnificent sculpts! They are "gothic" in an understated and mature way; none of this silly bat and skull armor silliness. Even their halberds look really cool. And the suggestion about the Wight King with regen banner is a very sound one.

http://www.themoneywolves.be/images/Models/VC/GraveGuard1a.jpg

I would love to get my greedy claws on some.

Monkey
06-09-2009, 07:13
I just finished my unit of these models, just using the halberds as really big hand weapons ..... :)