PDA

View Full Version : Autocannon or not?

DaSpaceAsians
05-09-2009, 17:18
Now as I'm building my guard army, I've looked at the new IA vol. 1 update and saw the Chimera autocannon being updated. So I'm wondering what should I take between Multilasers and Autocannon. Are autocannon better gamewise or not? Also fluffwise, are autocannons fancier than multilasers since it's to represented the fact that my madeup forge world cannot produce fancy varients of IG vehicules. Also, what are the probability that someone refuses my chimera autocannons in a pickup game?

ScItRiX
05-09-2009, 17:21
I would think the multilaser is fancier than the autocannon. There's a lot of fluff background of damaged vehicles getting there damaged energy weapons removed for cannon type weapons.

MarshalFaust
05-09-2009, 17:22
they are by no means gamebreaking and im actually surprised they did not make it in the codex, anyone who whines and refuses to play with you because your chimeras have autocannons are not worth the trouble.

Gorbad Ironclaw
05-09-2009, 17:42
I would think that overall there would be a slight edge to the multi-laser. It's only str 6 against 7, but it gets an additional shot.

Anyway, if you want the more low tech option that is clearly the auto-cannon. It's essentially a version of some of the automatic cannons we have on armoured vehicles today.

And I wouldn't think that most reasonable people would refuse it. It really shouldn't make all that much of a difference.

jams86
05-09-2009, 19:41
the autocannon is less fancy than the multilaser. think about it logically, solid ammo weapons are easier to produce than beam weapons so taking autocannons is in keeping with your fluff.

and like marshallfaust says, if someone refuses to play you because you have autocannons then find a new opponent

Cane
05-09-2009, 19:45
Personally I'd magnetize the turret so it could hold a variety of weapons including the autocannon and multilaser so that you have more flexibility.

Fallen DA
05-09-2009, 19:50
I have 3 Autocannons for my SL Cie, I use them foir my Support Platoon, so have 3 Autocannons, 3 Hvy Bolters, 3 Lasconnons and 3 Rocket Launchers. It all adds up to alot of pain. Not sure how good Autocannons are in the lastest codex, but I chose them in the last one for range, and the extra punch they have over Multi Lasers.

Not had anyone whine to me about having Autocannons either. they are an official upgrade, and perfectly reasonable weapon choice....

RCgothic
05-09-2009, 19:59
Autocannons are as good as multilasers against AV10, better against AV11 and 12.

Autocannons also have longer range and AP4.
Multilasers have an extra shot.

Overall I think the upgrade price to autocannon is fair.

Damage,Inc.
05-09-2009, 20:17
I have used autocannon Chimeras for many years now. It's a nice way to go as the S7 helps with light armor and high T units, but since it's Guard, it's not overly broken by hitting all the time. To me if fits the Chimera- it's based on the BMP and BMPs had cannon ranging from 76mm to 100mm. Personally I was miffed to see this not added to the new codex.

I'd say go for it and if anyone complains then just play it as a ML for that game. I had built several M2 Bradley-type Chimeras for a themed army using the Predator turret on a reworked Rhino. The autocannon was pretty evident and I played it as such, and no one ever complained to me about it.

Damage,Inc.
05-09-2009, 20:19
Oh- just make sure that the autocannon is very noticably different on your vehicles and that your opponent knows before starting what is going on. I could see complaining if it was sprung as a surprise during a game.

ashc
05-09-2009, 20:22
I would say that if you plan on using your Chimeras to hose infantry then stick with the multilaser and get a heavy stubber, with a heavy bolter at the front thats 9 shots a turn at 36" range, not too shabby.

If you are feeling the bite, and fear you need more stuff to pop light-to-medium vehicles, then perhaps consider the autocannons.

either way, autocannon turrets look awesome. :)

Finn
06-09-2009, 00:12
I modeled up a couple of them using the ACs from heavy weapons teams - just chop off the back end, stick it in the turrent, and use green stuff in the gaps.

That being said, I have these turrets....but I barely use them. Not only do I have to make sure IA is accepted in whatever I'm playing in, but the army has a plethora of S7+ elsewhere.

Tactically, it will also give you a tendency to sit back with your Chimeras and play more of a gunline force. I frown on this as the codex lost a lot of mobility between this edition and the last, so you'll probably need your Chimeras to actually move - even with Valks/Vendettas you won't have many scoring units with mobility. Having 36" instead of 48" range will make you feel like moving, trust me :p. It also might inspire you to put heavy flamers on the hull mounts...

RCgothic
06-09-2009, 00:37
My chimeras run multilaser/heavy flamer + stubber. Lots of moving and shooting. Autocannon wouldn't change that.

Finn
06-09-2009, 00:52
My chimeras run multilaser/heavy flamer + stubber. Lots of moving and shooting. Autocannon wouldn't change that.

So you say...but wait until you field them and you're deploying. That 48" range is going to be a factor.

RCgothic
06-09-2009, 01:13
A happy bonus.

guillimansknight
06-09-2009, 01:15
So long as you pay a fair pts cost I don't see the problem

Also go for it. The extra range should give you a tactical advantage.
It'll turn it into a mini-preadtor with transport capacity
Marines are gonna be pissed

Autocannons > Multilasers > Heavy bolter

Corpse
06-09-2009, 02:04
If you use the Autocannon's ability to fire beyond your heavy bolter, then its not synergetic and you lose shots. If you use the heavy flamer, the least likely it is to be used when using the autocannon along with it.

I say the damn AC is fine on a chimera and more fluffy as shells seems more fun then pewpew. Sure its more AP4 but the true odds behind that AC vs MuL isn't that far different.
(T4/T3 with 4+ sv ~ 3/1.5/1.25/.625 vs 2/1/.83/no save)

(edit)
Also, the autocannon is the same price as the heavy bolter and you can have a heavy bolter as the turret weapon at no additional cost so I say use the AC at the normal vehicle's price.

RCgothic
06-09-2009, 02:44
I think they were being generous with the heavy bolter being costed the same as an autocannon. 5pts is a fair upgrade on the basic multilaser.

Corpse
06-09-2009, 02:49
Compare the cost on the basic troops AC=HB. Cost on the Sentinels, MuL, +5 for AC.

Hm. Maybe add +5 points for being on a mobile vehicle may be right after all.

Shas'o Brightsword
06-09-2009, 03:13
i run my chimeras with multi-laser, Heavy Flamer, and stubber. I move them alot and this weapon set is great it mows down infantry like nothing. I pull up to an objective make the enemy unit sitting on it barbecue then my nice little guardsmen waltz in to take the credit. :D

T_55
06-09-2009, 03:22
More often than not i'm shooting my chimeras at infantry anyway. Extra shot is better.

march10k
06-09-2009, 04:36
autocannons are point for point the best weapon in the game, hands down. S7 is a massive jump over S6, and AP4 versus AP6? Give me a break! I cram autocannons into every nook and cranny of my guard army...I can't imagine the nastiness of putting them on my nine chimeras...I've found that multilaser/heavy bolter chimeras aren't all they're cracked up to be. The S6 multilaser sounds like it'd be pretty good against light vehicles, but in practice, it stinks on ice, even against sentinels. And with no AP to speak of, S6 isn't all that against troops. Trading one shot for +1S and decent AP is a HUGE upgrade. Against troops with a 4+ or 5+ save, an autocannon pretty much produces twice as many unsaved wounds as the multilaser. Against AV10, it's 50% more deadly, AV11 twice as deadly, and the multilaser can't even touch AV12. There is no way the two weapons are even in the same league, let alone roughly equivalent.

Cadian144
06-09-2009, 04:40
I admit I was suprised that the AC did not make it onto the Chimera this go around for the codex.

I am a fan of the auto cannon, that and bolters are my fav weapons of choice for my IG, but I go up agianst more marine armys than anything else and I need the stoping power. I dont like relying on flamers as in " if they are close enough to me for me to use flamers...I am in deep trouble"

Somewhere on a rumor somewhere....I just forget now, someone said that the Chimera when it is redone / reboxed will have 3 variants, not unlike the Hellhound and the Demolisher kits. This makes a bit of sense with what GW has been doing as of late...but...um...:rolleyes:

Anyway, it may be that this will come to pass sometime over the next ?? 24 mths ( optomistic maybe) but if it does a quick adendum in white dwarf would not be a hard reach to see happen. What I think I recall and had heard a few rumblings myself was a Chimera variant that had a Multi laser, Autocannon and Bolter option turret and could also be built as a command vehicle. Again...this would seem to fit with what GW is doing with some of the IG and other tank kits coming down the pike...but if this is part of the plan I dont think its anytime quick.

I do hope it happens however...I need more tanks anyway...36 (last count) is just not enough.....:rolleyes:

Kriegfreak
06-09-2009, 08:12
Autocannon and Mutli-Laser look SO close in most cases I doubt you would find a problem so long as you let someone know ahead of time. Personally I love auto cannons, the added AP and extra strength mean I could put a real hurt'n on some stuff. A transport as powerful as a Chimera that can also take out something with armor value up to 13.. awesome.