PDA

View Full Version : Begining LOTR

ThePrecious
05-09-2009, 18:48
In my area there are alot of people who play WFB and 40K and I play both games as well, but a friend and I are looking into LOTR. I understand that WOTR is the larger of the two systems, and that is the one we are looking into.

Does the war of the ring book have points and stats and stuff for all the armies?

What extra books are necessary to play besides the main WOTR book?

Magos Saphentos
05-09-2009, 19:59
the WOTR book contains all you need to play. So all the points and the stats so you dont need any extra books unless you want to play SBG as well

jaws900
06-09-2009, 08:58
If you want to play WOTR you'll only need that Main WOTR rule book and that all.
Fopr SBG you'll need "The One Rule Bokk" for the main rules and the mass of profiles. The rest are in suplements and depends on what army you want to play for what you get.

Shrapnelsmile
06-09-2009, 18:38
I'm starting as well, going to surprise my groups with a couple of demo armies. I'm excited about the game.

Definitely pick up the rule book; it's an easy read (rule wise) and the fluff is pretty fun. Pictures are fantastic. Well worth the money, and it is not convoluted like the skirmish game. Everything is right there.
I hope GW keeps it that way for a while.

I'll post my demo army plans soon so you can get an idea of how things work.

LuciusAR
06-09-2009, 19:39
Well worth the money, and it is not convoluted like the skirmish game. Everything is right there.
I hope GW keeps it that way for a while.

Whilst not wishing to derail the thread I would be interested to hear what exactly makes you think the SBG is convoluted?

If anything I would say it was the polar opposite with SBG being a shining example of simplicity and clarity next to 40K and WFB.

HsojVvad
07-09-2009, 04:00
Just to make it clear, as reading some posts, it looks like there is other books for WotR. There is none, only one book for War of the Ring. So even if you wanted to, you can't buy any other books for WotR.

Now SBG, has the ORB (one rule book) and all the other suppliments, so depending if you want to play a sertian faction, then you need ORB and the one suppliment and Bob's your uncle.

But seein you only want WotR, that is all you need. There is nothing else for it. Oh and the mini's and that's it.

Shrapnelsmile
07-09-2009, 15:27
Whilst not wishing to derail the thread I would be interested to hear what exactly makes you think the SBG is convoluted?

If anything I would say it was the polar opposite with SBG being a shining example of simplicity and clarity next to 40K and WFB.

I need to be cautious not to talk out of my ****, because I haven't played either one yet.

I was simply referring to the fact that everything needed for WoTR is in one book, while the strategy game seems to have a lot of necessary supplements, additional sources, etc.

I'll stick with what I know, which is that I want help starting the mass combat side.

jaws900
07-09-2009, 19:57
I need to be cautious not to talk out of my ****, because I haven't played either one yet.

I was simply referring to the fact that everything needed for WoTR is in one book, while the strategy game seems to have a lot of necessary supplements, additional sources, etc.

I'll stick with what I know, which is that I want help starting the mass combat side.

If you don't ask then you never learn that what i always say. (I asked what each button does on my firends heart moniter becuas ei was cururious.....thats right curuious;))
Any way only the One rules book is nessary as the other books only contain some ruels for that army and scenarios. Tho you can learn the ruels froma friend and just write them down on paper or type them up on the computer.

hoverX
22-09-2009, 23:50
Do people even play SBG or WOR anymore? I was at my local GW and the employee told me that no one really plays it anymore. I was at another store (not a GW) and the guy there told me they stock it just because GW makes them and they hardly have anyone who plays it at their tables.

Valkyrie114
23-09-2009, 01:21
Do people even play SBG or WOR anymore? I was at my local GW and the employee told me that no one really plays it anymore. I was at another store (not a GW) and the guy there told me they stock it just because GW makes them and they hardly have anyone who plays it at their tables.

The Chicago area has a staggering amount of LoTR/WoTR players. One day a couple weeks ago there were more LoTR armies out than WFB and 40k combined.

Everything goes through fads. All it takes is one new person with an army and it all takes off again. It happened at my store (started by me... :rolleyes:) and it will happen again.

hoverX
23-09-2009, 04:06
Hmm. Thats interesting. I was almost about to give up on SBG. I'd really like to find a good group of players in my Area(toronto) but i might have to give up and play 40K instead. Not that that is a bad thing.