PDA

View Full Version : Deplyment Tactics, anyone??

Snoozer
10-05-2005, 20:14
So, I have never really paid THAT much attention to my deployment, always used the Horns of the warloard deployment (Some guy used that name, I hade never heard it before, even if I almost always used it). It's putting your fast units on the flanks so that you can flank him, and rear charge him and all that.

But then I got a little more interrested about different deployment tactics and used yesterday the denied flank tactic and massacred my friends Ogre army. So I was wondering what other Deployment plans are there??

Some how I can't find a single article or topic anywhere about it. When I wasen't that interrested about deployment plans they were every where now can't find any...

I mostly play with Orcs so it would be good if the Deployment tactic fits them (if not, no matter I want to know it anyway...)

:D

Da GoBBo
10-05-2005, 21:23
Aaaargh ... GREENSKINS ... oh, that's us. Oke. I usually go along with the horns of my warlord thinguminy.
deploying Cavalary Wolfriders and boar boyz on the flank folowed by trolls.
deploying Chariots between my units with a character on em cause of the very much increased outflank oppertunity.
Deployment of squig herds. Right in front of bad stuff, along with a bigboss with da shiny baubles and close to the general. Make sure you have way more gobbos then squigs (this saves you victory points when the squigs go bounchy)
Giants, wherever the can cause terror.
Goblins. close to woods so they can hunt them filthy wizzards. Its wel worth 40 points of gobbo's. Two of thes units will be sufficient.
warmachines, spread across your deployment zone. This way the can't hide from em and can't destroy em all either.
orcs and real gobbo units. center of the army, make sure the have enough space to do some manouvring.

MarcoPollo
10-05-2005, 22:35
I prefer to use the "refused flank strategy". With the horns approach you must split your unit into 3 sections. This makes leadership more difficult as well as balancing, and movement around terrain.

The refused flank strategy splits your units into 2 main sections.

1) Main force. -- it is used to punch through the center of its line and take most of the barrage of missle fire.

2) Refused flank force -- is used to distract his flankers on one side by clever deployment and scrificial type units. You want to keep his units from manoevering into advantageous postions by using small units to tie-up his large units. Be careful about leadership here. Often I place my general with the refused flank force so that they don't panic as much from fleeing.

With a lot of terrain this method works well as it takes your opponent more time to manage the obstacles to get into finishing positions.

This method I also find works well with elite type main force like chaos wariors and a light force on the refused flank like warhounds or marauders etc. (I am a chaos player but the same applies to any army with elite troops and light troops).

Once/if your main force breaks through, it now becomes the flanking force and your opponent is stuck manouevering while you will be flanking with elite units. In theory this is the idea. But if your oponent is doing the same thing, you can get into highly manoeverable games (dance) with little or no action (BORING but effective).

Also, because the pieces are generally set to move in a forward motion, this strategy works well as it makes your opponent want to make backward movements that suck up much of his movements per turn.

arxhon
11-05-2005, 02:02
With my Skaven force, i usually refused flank with part of the force, and the rest is set up in a horns style formation because leadership is so important to skaven. I don't have any really elite troops (other than those tunnelling dudes that i can't remember the name of), but i do have a lot of light skirmishing types.

It tends to look like this, give or take a little either way. The rat swarms get pushed out in front of whatever is tough and annoying so it can be held up and massacred with warp fire and lightning, so their position varies a lot.

Star.Scream
11-05-2005, 03:12
>>>>>>The Refused Flank and other method (Horns of the warloard - The name will stay for now, I do like it, its catchy :p ) are probabley the bread and butter of all deployment strategies. There is another strategy that works on smaller level. I have heard it called "The anvil and the hammer," but that is more of a description.

Its explained in great detail in The Skystone buy Jack White; the basis of the strategy is to use units of 3 together. 1 large infantry unit to take the blunt of the force; and the other 2 units; preferabley a fast unit (with a movement of at least 7) to flank; Just like empire detachemts really, just that its applicable to all armies. If, however, the enemy doesnt take the bait and you begin to dance around each other then the 2 units designated as the 'flanking units' try to edge forward and bait the enemy into a charge (just using 1 of the 2 units available). Through this process you should be able to stagger the enemy formation; opening a weak spoke to punch throgh. The idea is to do this in 2 or 3 places across the battlefield with 6 or 9 units total; its a pure counter charge army meant to make things look tempting.

A side note concerning the Refused Flank strategy; it is possible to bait the enemy into manouvering to soon to compensate for the quick flank; thus esposing his main force to the blunt force of the core of your own army; in either case, the refused Flank can make an opponent nervous; its about exploiting the weaknesses they open that is key to winning.

MarcoPollo
11-05-2005, 17:54
Of course some strategies work better with some armies than others. I can see why you mentioned the hamer and anvil as this works well with tomb Kings and undead.

Of course, the flow of battle may lead to combinations of strategies. So you may start off with a hammer and anvil and create a refused flank within that hammer and anvil theme.

Ordo Hereticus
16-05-2005, 16:48
my tactic is to fit my army on the table, as with a swarm of night goblins it gets difficult to actually fit them on the table at one point :P so after thats done i will bother about where the enemy units are :D

Sariel
16-05-2005, 19:50
Well, some formations you might use:

1) Infantry blocks in the centre, cavalry/fast cavalry/flyers on the flanks to mess around with the other guy's cavalry and to keep the flanks of your infantry clear.

Blast away at any targets of opportunity, but ultimately, its all going to be settled by a colossal scrimmage in the centre of the field.

Fairly obvious, not much subtlety required. Just keep moving forward until you engage. Especially suitable for Orc/Gobbo infantry hordes.

2) CHARGE!!!
Your big fast heavy-hitters (but ultimately expendable) heavy-hitters right on the 12" mark, infantry behind. They charge right ahead into the enemy, and invite the other guy's support troops to flank them. Hopefully, you won't break right away. The Giant works really well for this.

Hopefully, the Boar Boyz and Giant will have messed up his lines nicely, so your chariots and infantry can trundle along and pick up the pieces.

Even better if your heavies can actually break through. One or two good (ie bad for your opponent) terror rolls and this can happen. Heavies punch through, and are behind his line. Meanwhile, your second wave (chariots and infantry) are coming up. Rock and a hard place time, since your opponent now has to worry about heavy cav in his rear, and ranked infantry (and chariots) to his front.

Scouts and flyers can mess things up by march-blocking your infantry, though, giving him time to take care of your army in detail.. Risky if the other guy has loads of skirmishers/flyers.

3) Weighted Flank.
Deploy your infantry as usual. Light cavalry goes on the flanks. Looks like a pretty standard deployment. Now, on one flank, put ALL your nasty heavy hitters. Trolls, chariots and Giants close to the infantry, with cavalry on the outside. Infantry serves as the pivot point. They will slowly advance, and hopefully, they can receive (and hold!) charges, while the heavies proceed to smash through one flank and roll up the enemy line. Slightly safer, but ultimately depends on your heavies turning the flank of the enemy line.

4) My take on the Hammer and Anvil.
Helps if you have war machines, since you WANT him to come towards you. War machines and heavy infantry (preferably with a BSB) hold the centre. Feel free to slowly pull your infantry back as the enemy advances. In the meantime, your cavalry advances down the flanks.

Enemy charges, your infantry (had better!) hold. They are the anvil. Anvils get beat up a lot. Now, assuming you hold, your Hammer (boar boyz, wolf riders, chariots) will be able to swing down and hit the other guy's formations in the rear. *splat*

Pretty risky too, since you need dead 'ard infantry to stand there and take it while the cavalry comes to the rescue. If the infantry break.....

Lord_Meretrix
19-05-2005, 05:42
My favorate diploment right now really works with my spacific army but relies mainly on the fanatic slingshot stradogy.

The center of my army is two night goblin units with 3 fanatics each, one behind the other so that the front of the first unit is 7 and 1/2 inches in front of the unit behind. Than on the sides of these two, lined up with the front of the forward one is two units of boars, one on the right and one on the left. Behind the boars is one unit of black orcs and one unit of big uns. In these are my general and my BSB. this makes up the core of my army. The flanks usually have wolf riders. The idea here is that the advance is stopped on the first turn by the first wave of fanatics, than I counter charge with the boars and maybe gient. The second turn I can charge with the goblins and orcs and send the second wave of fanatics into the back of the goblins and through them into the center of the enamy, then imerging from the rear of the enamy. This is a risky and often lucky stradogy, but it is very intemadating to the enamy, and it leaves them is a rough spot. You can also use the wolf riders as further slingshots, putting the in front of the front goblins 2 wide and 3 deep, or 3 wide and two deep. You lose a lot of low point guys, and your enamy looses a lot of hight point guys, followed up by your charge. IT works well for me.

Another thing i used to do was to ignore the flanks. I would put night goblins with fanatics and wolfs on the outside, this would take most everybody at least a couple turns to get through, and by that time I should have already taken the center, especially because I would almost always outnumber them by at least a couple units.

The first stradogy works really well againt frenzied armies (korne or witch elves) because you can use the wolfs as lours so that the big unit runs into the fanatics two turns in a row. And with this deploment, even if you loose, you still get to have a lot of fun. I call it slingshop deploment.

Lord Meretrix

Templar_Victorious
29-05-2005, 19:26
I really like the Anvil and Hammer deployment, I use two units of handgunners combined with a helblaster as the anvil, and the hammer consists of a unit of knights with a Captain, and a unit of 18 swordsmen and 8 free companies as detachment, A great cannon, a lvl 2 battle wizard and a unit of 5 huntsmen to slow one enemy unit down so the hammer can strike it's target unit. This goes into a 1000pts Empire army.

[Edit] The swordsman unit has full command as points fill.

skavenguy13
29-05-2005, 23:14
I think deployment can be "dominated" this way: insignificant 25 points units.

I mean, as a skaven player, its easy to deploy against the opponent:
enemy deploys big unit.
*I deploy my 3 globadiers there*
enemy deploys another big unit.
*I deploy 5 night runners here*
enemy deploys war machines
*I deploy my other 5 runners in front of that cannon:D*
enemy deploys cavalry
*I put my slave unit right there*
enemy places characters
*OMFG ROXXORZ1111 I put around 100 points on the table and you already finished your deployment :eek:*
*places rest of the army especially against the units I want to kill.*

As a greenskin player, I'd suggest this: place your snotlings, wolf riders and gobbos first. When the opponent finishes deployment, you can do as you want.

User Name
30-05-2005, 04:51
I tend to use horns of the worlord in my chaos army because the units i have allow for a strong, flexible center and two strong flanks, or a refused flank if one area is too full of terrain

Math Mathonwy
30-05-2005, 08:13
In my VC army I have two main fighting units - big blocks of skeletons with characters in them. These are flanked by three units of ghouls and three bases on Spirit swarms. Ghouls, being skirmishers and Spirit hosts being ethereal, are extremely maneuverable so I can utilize terrain fully. And this has won me most of my games, really. The two units are rather compact and a Wraith with the Cursed Book can offer nice protection for both units. I try to have a terrain feature (woods, a building or something) on one flank, sometimes on both.

The enemy units are usually so wide that they can't outmaneuver me and soon they are in lots of trouble with the ghouls and Spirits in their flanks. Then I have a decoy unit of eight Black Knights without Barding. They look sort of scary but really are just a decoy. The enemy need to do something to them and being so fast they can usually stall the enemy unit for quite some time. They also draw nice amounts of fire so that the more important parts of my army can advance unhindered. Most spectacularly I managed to lure a Steam Tank away from my main force for the whole game with this decoy on one flank. Psychological warfare is extremely important and I managed to convince my opponent that the Black Knights were a threat.

Units of Dire Wolves and Fell Bats complete the army harassing the enemy, performing suicide and doing anything else needed to force them to come to fight me on my terms.

CauCaSus
05-06-2005, 15:48
My Nurgle army is composed of mostly fast-moving infantry, chariots and cavalry:

6 chaos knights
12 chaos warriors (will probably get replaced by 6 knights once I get to prioritize warhammer again)
two beastherds straight from the boxed set
two chariots
5 centigors
5 marauder horsemen
6 furies
two units of 5 chaos hounds

I have a standard way to deploy my army as seen in the drawing.
The only unit that doesn't have a fixed position is the furies, depending on what targets/assignments (mage-hunting, march/charge-blocking) I'll give them and what cover I can use.

Astute readers will notice that the way I have deployed my units, the fastest are in the middle up front and the further back and towards the flanks you come, the slower the unit (except for the flankers of course). This deployment tactic goes under the spearhead/wedge category. The point here is to let your hardest, fastest units hit as soon as possible while the rest of the army threatens the flanks of any units that try to flank the spearhead. This way every unit has one slower unit and one faster unit to support itself.

This is in no way a new idea and there are ways to defeat this tactic as much as anyone, but for me, it was a good platform to develop my skills with this medium/fast army that plays very differently from my Skaven army.

[post copied from my own closed thread]

Sariel
05-06-2005, 18:02
Astute readers will notice that the way I have deployed my units, the fastest are in the middle up front and the further back and towards the flanks you come, the slower the unit (except for the flankers of course). This deployment tactic goes under the spearhead/wedge category. The point here is to let your hardest, fastest units hit as soon as possible while the rest of the army threatens the flanks of any units that try to flank the spearhead. This way every unit has one slower unit and one faster unit to support itself

It does work very nicely with an army with both large, hard-hitting cavalry units and solid infantry regiments (and chariots) to exploit any breakthroughs.

Conversely, if you're not in too much of a hurry (or the other guy has lots of hard ranked units and/or shooting), you could go with the refused flank. Anchor your line on a piece of terrain and a table edge.

Infantry goes in front, cavalry directly behind them. Infantry regiment wheels, and cavalry moves straight ahead. The flanks of your units are protected, and your entire line is in position to support their neighbouring units.

(not advisable if your cavalry can go stupid)

Especially useful if the other guy has lots of shooting on flat ground, since the infantry also helps serve as a missile shield for the Knights.

One thing I don't like about using Chaos Hounds as missile shields - it does'nt take a lot of shooting to destroy a pack of 5 in a single turn, and the last thing I want is for the unit(s) they were shielding to fail panic tests. Not likely, true, but it can hurt a lot if it happens on turn 1.

Tormentor of Slaanesh
04-07-2005, 15:28
have counter attack units like chariots equally spaced within ur infantry