PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine crusade force

Penitent Engine
06-09-2009, 11:40
I've recently decided to give my Daemons a break and play Space Marines (because I never have), but I get really bored painting the same colour power armour for an entire army. Therefore, the army never gets finished. So I decided to make my army a crusade, drawn from a bunch of different Chapters to hunt down one of my Daemon Princes. I intend to have units from the Blood Angels (just a few), Dark Angels (predominant), Imperial Fists and Salamanders using vanilla Space Marine rules. The army will be unified by a black left shoulder pad emblazoned with a scythe instead of the regular Chapter markings.
Do you think this is a good idea, and would you be OK fighting this force?

Lord Damocles
06-09-2009, 11:52
Replacing the Chapter symbol doesn't work background-wise.
Marines always keep their Chapter symbols even if they join the Deathwatch or become Tech Marines etc.

Otherwise crusade forces work, and several are mentioned in the main Rulebook and Codex: Space Marines.

Gorbad Ironclaw
06-09-2009, 12:10
Yeah, Marines don't replace there Chapter symbol. Instead they would have an army/campaign symbol somewhere on there armour to show they are part of whatever force it is.

So a mixed force of space marines would consist of marines in the colours of there chapter as normal, but all wearing the same badge somewhere (kneepads are generally a good place for it) to identify them as part of the same force.
(you could actually argue that all Imperial forces should have such a symbol at all times, but very few seems to do that)

Aside from that it sounds good to me. Nothing wrong with an army made up of a mix of chapters. The real trick is making it look good on the tabletop and not just a mix of models. Basing is probably going to be key there.

Shas'o Brightsword
06-09-2009, 15:01
sounds cool to me but leave the chapter symbols on.

Fallen DA
06-09-2009, 16:54
I'd leave the chapter symbol on too, and use one codex. can't see anyone arguing over that game wise.

Magos Explorator
06-09-2009, 22:17
I'd suggest you try to keep a campaign badge or something similar on all the models to unify them (as well as consistent basing)--I did a multi-Chapter space marine force a while ago and it didn't work so well, which I think was because the models didn't look like they belonged together so much (being in different Chapter colours).

For the campaign badge, a knee plate or greave is probably the best location to avoid covering up Chapter/squad markings as mentioned previously.

ambrosehlbiercemencken
06-09-2009, 23:01
I'd suggest doing a black shinguard with scythe, it's a bit more visible than the kneepad.

edit: whoops, turns out that "greave" is a fancy word for shinguard. In that case what the dude above me said :(

KroSha
07-09-2009, 13:25
I did a Crusade force years ago when I was trying to decide on a colour scheme for my home-grown chapter. I used a kneepad as the campaign marking; I used a roundel (like the RAF marking). It worked pretty well.

I still have them somewhere......