PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points O&G to fight Tomb Kings

FPPaul
06-09-2009, 15:02
Trying to come up with 2000 points worth of O&G to beat tomb kings. Opponent will have roughly this set up:

Queen Latifah (or whatever her name is)
Full complement of priests
4 chariots
one bone giant
and 60+ skeletons with poisoned bows(!) probably split into 3 or more units

My army list so far:

263 - Black orc wboss, akk'rit axe, biggeds kickin oots, best boss at, hevy armour, shield, boar

180 - black orc boss, heavy armour, boar, BSB, morks spirit totem

100 - NG shaman, staff o stealin

170 - 20 boyz, 2nd choppa, full command

145 - 25 night goblins, spears, full command, 1 fanatic

66 - 5 spider riders, musican

71 - 5 wolf riders, musician

80 - 1 boar chariot

80 - 1 boar chariot

194 - 12 black orcs, full command

70 - 2 spear chukkas

186 - 4 ogre bulls, 2 hand weapons, standard & bellower

Comes out at 1991 assuming my maths is right. Perhaps swap the Blorcs out for a 5 team squig herd and spend any spare points on extra anti-magic?

Tactics-wise:

- ignore offensive magic for the most part (opponent will likely take a lot of dispel scrolls)
- Shoot seven shades out of the giant
- Use small cavalry squads to block archers LOS and charge lanes to non gobbo units
- Dispel any extra shooting spells
- Try to not die as much as possible while running across the board
- if charged by bone giant - run away!!!

Nothing too complicated basically. Any suggestions for tactics/composition change? I know "try to kill the hierophant", but you would have to be pretty daft to put him anywhere easily accessable.

Catferret
06-09-2009, 15:11
I think a nice big block of squig herd could actually be quite useful here. Immunity to psychology and a big bucket of S5 attacks on top of a healthy rank bonus should chew through some of those Undead nicely.

I'd also want to be bumping up the size of the boyz units to around 25-30 if possible.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
06-09-2009, 15:45
Trying to come up with 2000 points worth of O&G to beat tomb kings. Opponent will have roughly this set up:

Queen Latifah (or whatever her name is)
Full complement of priests
4 chariots
one bone giant
and 60+ skeletons with poisoned bows(!) probably split into 3 or more units

My army list so far:

263 - Black orc wboss, akk'rit axe, biggeds kickin oots, best boss at, hevy armour, shield, boar

180 - black orc boss, heavy armour, boar, BSB, morks spirit totem

100 - NG shaman, staff o stealin

66 - 5 spider riders, musican

80 - 1 boar chariot

80 - 1 boar chariot

194 - 12 black orcs, full command

70 - 2 spear chukkas

186 - 4 ogre bulls, 2 hand weapons, standard & bellower

Comes out at 1991 assuming my maths is right. Perhaps swap the Blorcs out for a 5 team squig herd and spend any spare points on extra anti-magic?

Tactics-wise:

- ignore offensive magic for the most part (opponent will likely take a lot of dispel scrolls)
- Shoot seven shades out of the giant
- Use small cavalry squads to block archers LOS and charge lanes to non gobbo units
- Dispel any extra shooting spells
- Try to not die as much as possible while running across the board
- if charged by bone giant - run away!!!

Nothing too complicated basically. Any suggestions for tactics/composition change? I know "try to kill the hierophant", but you would have to be pretty daft to put him anywhere easily accessable.

Take atleast 20 black orcs. I think you need a little more oomph. More hard hitting stuff. Thank GOD that your opponent isnt taking catapults. Those things will have greenskins running like its nobody's business. I pity orcs at the thought of playing undead. All i can say is try to take as many items as you can to prevent you from running. In hand to hand you should squish him with orcs and anything tough. Use Nightgoblins as a meat shield because poison arrows will eat orc hide quick. Fanatics would be great against his tightly squeezed formations which i would be he will have.
Good luck i dont know enough about O&G to say more :)

rtunian
06-09-2009, 15:55
i thought that tomb king spells are automatically cast, so the staff of sneaky stealing, while it would give you an extra dispel dice, it wouldn't weaken their magic any. if that's true, then i think the staff of sorcery would be a better take. or dispel scroll(s)

going up against a high volume of ranged attacks, you want to take as many cheap models as you can. instead you are taking alot of expensive models. i would load up on goblins (skelleton archers won't do anything to netter night gobs in close combat, so you win through cr), bring some snots to stand in front of your bsb's unit, and just overwhelm him with numbers.

you mention fast cav screeners. the thing is, 3 units of 5 aren't going to last long under that kind of fire. so the units they are screening will only be getting a 1-2 turn buffer, and then they will start getting shot up.

lcfr
06-09-2009, 16:28
Wow, a Tomb Kings gunline. Looks like you're going to have a lot of fun. The best tactical recommendation I can make is to request a new opponent, otherwise you've just pissed away 2+hrs trying and failing to have an enjoyable game.

If you do play him don't put too much stock into the Bone Giant. All you need is one good round of shooting w/your Spear Chukkas and some magic to make quick work of him (maybe another pair of Spear Chukkas?). Also, forget Ogre Bulls...Ironguts are way better for DoW; they move just as fast, hit harder, and have higher LD.

And I'll second the poster who said to dump the Staff of Sneaky Stealin', it has no effect on TK. I would actually recommend a little team of magic users, if only because despite how intense the TK magic phase can get, they are actually pretty vulnerable to magic.

The main trick will be concentrating fire and magic on one unit of skellies/bone giant at a time and, since your opponent really only has 4ish units, sending multiple targets against each. Even w/two rounds of shooting per unit of skellies, you don't have to deal w/any SSCs and enough boyz should make it into combat to ruck up those skellies.

Maoriboy007
07-09-2009, 07:06
Take two shamans with 4 Dispel scrolls. Chariots are very good against TKs, use them in doubles if possible. Speed is your friend, hit hard and fast. Dont try to dispel everything, concentrate on isolating support units (chariots Giant) and preventing extra movement. Save the dispel scrolss for the magical flank charges (you'll see them coming a mile off).
Try and kill the heirophant, target him whenever possible. Khalida has strikes first and any unsaved poisoned attacks (6 to hit)cause D3 wounds, but she cant pierce armour (I recommend a 1-2+ save)and is vulnerable to either flaming attacks or killing blow.

kyinpie
07-09-2009, 13:42
cant remember the name of the magic banner, but put the magic banner that gives you +1 dispell dice per rank bounus the unit has. put it in the black orc unit. two wizards and this item will give you 7 DD and 2 scrolls will be enough, as queen khalida's spell cant be stoped anyway, watch her bound item tho, it will stop you from moving. and then theirs 3 hero level priests, 3 spells cast on 2D6 and maybe staff of ravaning, which against orcs isnt that good realy (i would let this through) and in one turn he might use the jar (extra spell, one use only item). so, 7DD vs his 3 spells (2 dice each) a turn plus the bound item khalida has (pl5), so this should be easy to stop. have one mage with 2 scrolls and the other with staff of sorcery.

the fact that the worse khalida can do is get an archer unit to shoot twice a turn is nothing. the list you think he might take is weak, if his archers units are more than 10 strong then it will be a waste for him! fingers crossed he will take units of 20! this will mean that 10 of them wont shoot if they are in the back rank, or that he'll be limitted to what targets to shoot, if this is the case present him with too many options to shoot, and hopefully he will spread the shooting between a few targets instead of concentrated fire on one unit.
hope this helps. im a tomb king player and face orcs regulary! :)

kyinpie
07-09-2009, 13:45
ps, that black orc unit realy needs to be 20+ strong!! with no catapult that unit should get accross the field. dont forget the sheild, better chance against those poisen arrows.
also drop the ogres, they're biggest weakness is shooting, and your up against a gun line!? waste of points.

FPPaul
07-09-2009, 19:21
Hmmm, Okey doke, how about:

183 - black orc boss, heavy armour, boar, BSB, morks spirit totem

135 - Orc shaman l2, staff of sorcery

110 - NG shaman l2, scroll

198 - 24 boyz, 2nd choppa, full command

198 - 24 boyz, 2nd choppa, full command

174 - 24 boyz, shields, full command

80 - 1 boar chariot

150 - 5 squig teams

70 - 2 spear chukkas

Or do people think take the second chariot instead of the 5 wolf riders?

kyinpie
07-09-2009, 19:52
that does look alot better! :)
just run the army full speed towords the tomb kings! and possibly call the waaaaghon turn two!
if you got the points i think the chariot would be more point effective!