PDA

View Full Version : Death Company = Vanguard veterns.. openion

SPYDER68
06-09-2009, 18:11
Im looking at making a new death company for my blood angels.. and i was looking at the Vanguard veteran models and they look rather nice.

So i was thinking.. A Vanguard veteran squad.. painted as a Death Company..

Would this look ok ? or would it look waay off ?

Any input would be great.

Lord Damocles
06-09-2009, 19:14
Most sensible counts-as if using Blood Angels as vanilla Marines.

philbrad2
06-09-2009, 21:52
They'll work nicely especially as they are all close-combatted up already.

As DAMOCLES says, you playing them as DC or Vanguards? I've had a look at the BA codex today pondering about resurrecting my BA after several years but I'm really not a fan of their 'Dwarf-dex'

Wouldn't mind playing them as a codex chapter but whats a BA army without DC???

PhilB
:chrome:

LonelyPath
06-09-2009, 23:06
A friend of mine uses them as DC abd they work out very nicely, if a tad expensive point wise.

Gdolkin
06-09-2009, 23:07
I'm not so sure. I think the Vanguard vets look too much like honoured heroes (as they are) rather than a berserk suicide squad.. You'll have trouble painting the big red crosses on their armour with all that bling I reckon. Yes, the old and current DC models have their own bits of moulded iconography, but they're as much marks of shame and warning as they are honours, I think. I'd use plastic Assault marines, maybe convert a bit to look extra angry, and covered in red crosses and skulls and blood :)

SPYDER68
06-09-2009, 23:14
Most likely using Blood angels dex since its the old army i used to have.

When i started 40k 9-10 years ago i bought an eldar battleforce not knowing what i was doing, then did blood angels as my first army pretty much..

And with new marine models ive decided to give them a go again with all the old marine models i have.

Terminus Est Gunner
06-09-2009, 23:44
Eh I'd personally just use the Death Company models

SPYDER68
07-09-2009, 00:51
Eh I'd personally just use the Death Company models

Sadly the DC models are outdated.. and id haft to buy directly from GW for the jump packs to put on them.

Terminus Est Gunner
07-09-2009, 01:24
True, but the models are still good and already have both blood angels and death company ensignia on them

Gdolkin
08-09-2009, 00:27
That's what I'm getting at.. If Death Company are going to have as much sculpted details and honours on them as the Vanguard models do, it'd be specific Blood Angel and Death Company icons rather than generic bling.. Mind you, I'd use the Vanguard to paint as Blood Angel Assault veterans/Honour Guard, maybe greenstuff on a couple of blood drops between the wings where feasible, but it just doesn't seem fluffy for the DC. I still say plain plastic assault marines, black with red crosses and a couple of skulls painted on and bloody weapons. It's not canon, but I'd have thought they give the DC some spare, basic power armour and mark it with the traditional colours and symbols for 'beware off-the-leash flashback maniac', rather than give them or let them keep fancy artificer-bling armour, as they're only going to get cut in half or immolated or whatever.. :)
I also like the idea of regular Blood Angels who have started to feel the pull of the Rage but not yet gone over the edge going into battle with maybe one kneepad black with a red cross or something like that, so their squadmates and officers know that they're getting close to the edge and might suddenly start declaring themselves Sanguinius..
EDIT: It's just my opinion, but I don't reckon Death Company get given Relic Blades, more like rusty chainswords or maybe just a stick with nails in :)
Would you give fancy Mega-Armour and Kustom Shootas to the Madboyz?

Petay1985
08-09-2009, 08:46
I love the idea of using the Vangaurd Veteran models as death company, they'll look ace!!
I still rate Death Company as one of the most effective close combat units in the game, love it!!

pookie
08-09-2009, 17:03
Sadly the DC models are outdated.. and id haft to buy directly from GW for the jump packs to put on them.

why not just use Assault Marines?, after all paint them Black, give them Red Crosses bobs ya aunty and Instant DC.

as for the Look - well yes VG all the way.

superdupermatt
10-09-2009, 00:45
I think that because the Death Company WANT to die, they shouldn't get blinged up in shiny gubbins. I have my Death Company made from Assualt Squad Marines painted black, and then crudely slapping big ol' red Xs all over them.

The vanguard should be used as VAS, IMO.

Gdolkin
10-09-2009, 04:14
I think that because the Death Company WANT to die, they shouldn't get blinged up in shiny gubbins. I have my Death Company made from Assualt Squad Marines painted black, and then crudely slapping big ol' red Xs all over them.

The vanguard should be used as VAS, IMO.
Exactly. Save the Vanguard models for your Assault veterans or Honour Guard. Should a Death Company marine really even have a single purity seal on him?
They're doomed to become beasts, and are trying to die before that happens. Their days of medals and laurels are over.

hawo0313
10-09-2009, 07:45
Well for the question I think that the Vanguard models would look awesome so I said yes but I also agree that its better suited to a Veteran assault squad or honour guard but for DC also not bad

big squig
10-09-2009, 07:47
This is more evidence to my reason for dropping the extra marine books all together.

Metaphorazine
10-09-2009, 08:53
Who's to say the BA don't honour their DC brethren, heaping on the bling? (Probably the codex is, but I've not read it. Though SM are weird in general, I could see them venerating their beserkers.)

Petay1985
10-09-2009, 08:58
This is more evidence to my reason for dropping the extra marine books all together.

I believe the question referes to the models not the codex friend, thus he is still using the Blood Angels Codex!!

Shadowlance
10-09-2009, 13:21
I think using the VG models as DC would be great look wise

however if you are trying to field your army true to the blood angels as with the fluff, its random blood angels that succumb to the black rage because they loose control. the look of VG say they are veteran veteran, so a whole veteran squad succumbing is almost unheard of (except in the blood angel omnibus)

but i like sticking to the fluff so thats just me :D

Petay1985
10-09-2009, 13:26
I think using the VG models as DC would be great look wise

however if you are trying to field your army true to the blood angels as with the fluff, its random blood angels that succumb to the black rage because they loose control. the look of VG say they are veteran veteran, so a whole veteran squad succumbing is almost unheard of (except in the blood angel omnibus)

but i like sticking to the fluff so thats just me :D

Agree completely!! they Vanguard models would look fantastic as Death Company, although i personally would want to removed the Crux's from the armour and thus removing the veteran markings!!

I a intending to simply use them as a Veteran Assault Squad in my Blood Angels force.

Tennboy
10-09-2009, 13:46
from what I remember of the fluff, members of the DC don't get new black armor, their old armor just gets a quick spray on coat of black and the red cross. IIRC from the blood angel novels, its such a rush job, that the old markings can still be seen up close. So I'd say that the BA wouldn't strip one of their members of their honors just for slipping into the black rage.

Shadowlance
10-09-2009, 13:49
from what I remember of the fluff, members of the DC don't get new black armor, their old armor just gets a quick spray on coat of black and the red cross. IIRC from the blood angel novels, its such a rush job, that the old markings can still be seen up close. So I'd say that the BA wouldn't strip one of their members of their honors just for slipping into the black rage.

yeah but still its just like fluff or apperance

fluff, whole veteran squad no way

model, druel-tastic:D