PDA

View Full Version : Just getting into fantasy....60+ warriors? thoughts

damnyankees
06-09-2009, 19:21
Okay through a trade i am getting 60+ of the old hunchback chaos warriors, 10 knights and archaon on foot. I have been reading alot of posts, it seems that all the lists are using marauder horsemen as core. So i am looking for a stable list to do 60+ warriors, 10 Knights, 5 MH and archaon on foot. What mark would be the best? i was thinking khorne with slannesh. TnT would be helpful. TYBrian

dsw1
06-09-2009, 19:42
Okay through a trade i am getting 60+ of the old hunchback chaos warriors, 10 knights and archaon on foot. I have been reading alot of posts, it seems that all the lists are using marauder horsemen as core. So i am looking for a stable list to do 60+ warriors, 10 Knights, 5 MH and archaon on foot. What mark would be the best? i was thinking khorne with slannesh. TnT would be helpful. TYBrian

Unfortunately there is no Archaon on foot anymore, that was just a Storm of Chaos thing they had going.

What I would suggest though is trying a khorne list with all those warriors, having several units of 12, 2 units of 5 Knights (one mark of khorne, the other mark of Nurgle and banner of rage) and the marauder horsemen with flails with mark of Khorne and finally some Chosen warriors with a mark you later decide upon. Use Archaon as an Exalted (chaos lords are over priced), and you will have a good list.

You WILL also need some magic defence so I'd suggest buying some (2 maybe) sorcerers and having them carrying something like 2 scrolls each, then buy a mounted hero. If possible get a chariot or 2 or even have warshrines to boost your warrior units.

I hope this helps.

P.s. ALWAYS give warriors halberds and shields, that way you can choose between 4+ save and s5 or 2+ save and s4.

Falkman
06-09-2009, 21:17
You're going to have a really hard time fitting 60 warriors into a competitive list.
I'd suggest making some of them into Chosen, 12-18 sounds like a good amount, that way you can run them 6 wide to maximise attacks against most foes.
Then I'd run 1-2 blocks with 12 normal Chaos Warriors, any more than that is just way too much points sunk into slow infantry.

PeG
06-09-2009, 21:42
Problem with chaos warriors is that they are slow. Most chaos lists seem to build on hitting the enemy hard and fast with knights and magic. Horsemen are useful for that purpose while warriors are not.
If you want lots of warriors I would also field them with rather large amounts of magic to give the enemy a reason to come to you instead of hanging back and shooting/magic you to death while you walk across the board

damnyankees
06-09-2009, 22:55
Unfortunately there is no Archaon on foot anymore, that was just a Storm of Chaos thing they had going.

What I would suggest though is trying a khorne list with all those warriors, having several units of 12, 2 units of 5 Knights (one mark of khorne, the other mark of Nurgle and banner of rage) and the marauder horsemen with flails with mark of Khorne and finally some Chosen warriors with a mark you later decide upon. Use Archaon as an Exalted (chaos lords are over priced), and you will have a good list.

You WILL also need some magic defence so I'd suggest buying some (2 maybe) sorcerers and having them carrying something like 2 scrolls each, then buy a mounted hero. If possible get a chariot or 2 or even have warshrines to boost your warrior units.

I hope this helps.

P.s. ALWAYS give warriors halberds and shields, that way you can choose between 4+ save and s5 or 2+ save and s4.

Lords are overpriced? How so? @ dsw1- i was honestly thinking about running a giant with a shrine or 2 shrines. I wasnt looking to use all 60...but maybe 30 for now and the rest later. What mark should i give the shrine? mark of Khorne?? and are multi-god lists the way to go?

dsw1
06-09-2009, 23:08
Lords are overpriced? How so? @ dsw1- i was honestly thinking about running a giant with a shrine or 2 shrines. I wasnt looking to use all 60...but maybe 30 for now and the rest later. What mark should i give the shrine? mark of Khorne?? and are multi-god lists the way to go?

It is the general opinion that the lords are overcosted for what they do, and that an exalted could do pretty much the same job for cheaper. I mean by all means use a lord if you feel compelled too, but the general census is that they are Over priced.

Giants with Mark of slannesh are good, most other marks also have their advantages too (like 6+ ward or -1 bs when shooting at them etc). As for the Warshrines, Go with Mark of tzeentch as then they get a 3+ wardsave which is amazing and will make them very hard to kill.

As other posters mentioned, units of 12 or 18 are a good size, you maybe able to squeeze in 40 odd and that would work quite well against some opponents.

I said the Mark of khorne earlier as it increases their fighting potential, makes them beasts of combat (3 s5 attacks each is better than an empire captain gets!) but by all means read over the marks and see what you like best.

As for Multi marks, I'd say it all depends on what you want out of the list, I personally like it, as you get the full potential of units (like teh warshrines' 3+ ward and Warriors having 3 attacks each etc). It is all up to how you decide to model your list.

Oh, and read the FAQ that was brought out, that may help you decide on what to take etc. :)

damnyankees
06-09-2009, 23:43
Faq? where could i find that?

Red_Lep
07-09-2009, 00:25
Faq? where could i find that?

The Faq(Frequently Asked Questions) are the the GW website.

Heres the WoC one:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2350036_WarriorsofChaosFAQFeb2009.pdf

lcfr
07-09-2009, 00:55

So bizarre. A couple months back I traded all that to somebody....

Unfortunately there's not much you can do w/60+ Chaos Warriors; I don't know how viable an all footslogging WoC army would be. However, one thing they'll be good for is distinguishing btwn Chosen and regular Warriors once you pick up a box of the new plastic Warriors (assuming you do, that is). Also, there are no rules for Archaon on foot, but he'll make a great Exalted Champion or Chaos Lord (let me know if he's got a plastic Warriors head, plastic shield, and a mace-thingy w/a few flails attached in the symbol of the 8pointed Chaos star hahaha). You should consider a box (probably two) of marauders on foot, and then you'll be able to build a pretty balanced 1k list.

Bauknefer
07-09-2009, 00:59
I say this chaos warriors are awesome. Hands down. chosen are also good. I think lords are awesome and not overpriced the more magic items and gifts can only be a good thing I run my warriors with just shields because the more warriors you have the more those halberds cost.... I also only go 5 wide because I take more charges then I do with mass chaos warriors but Never Doubt them I have only been impressed... except against fanatics....

damnyankees
07-09-2009, 02:45
okay...thanks guys. I also found in my random box of bitz, i found about 40+ of the old choas 40k cultists. So i can make some marauders.
@lcfr- ill let you know. :evilgrin

If i am going to run two casters? what mark should i put on them? is Nurgle a viable spells? or should i go with tzeentch?
Knights, how big should the blocks be. Cause i saw alot of units of 6 knights w/ command. Should i give the warriors command?

lcfr
07-09-2009, 15:32
6 knights in a unit is a good idea, just in case you take a casualty or two from shooting you still have about 4 knights who, if frenzied, can still do a hell of a lot of damage. They may not need a full command; I see lots of lists w/out any command options but I like bringing a banner and a musician.

I don't see anything wrong w/giving your warriors a standard bearer and a musician most of the time; unless they're Frenzied having the extra combat res from a banner is handy.

I'm not a huge fan of the Lore of Tzeentch...Gateway for lvl4s is cool (although ridiculous...) but otherwise nothing really jumps out from there. I run one lvl2 w/Tzeentch but also the Book of Secrets just so he can wizz around on his disc throwing out Fireballs and Flickering Fires. The third spell he knows may or may not be useful, since the other spells can either be too situational, too difficult to cast for a lvl2, or simply not worth using power dice on. I'd recommend Lore of Slaanesh for one sorceror, so long as you're not facing ItP armies it's very cool.

PeG
07-09-2009, 16:07
Nurgle also has a good lore even if they do more limited damage with the number one spell (I have seen Tzeentch lvl 1 do 7 S7 hits which really hurts). With Nurgle you can snipe characters which is often useful. With one cast you can get rid of that champion who will otherwise take the challenge and save the character you want to kill. Cast it twice to kill a hero. I find the higher nurgle spells to be a bit situational.

damnyankees
07-09-2009, 16:18
6 knights in a unit is a good idea, just in case you take a casualty or two from shooting you still have about 4 knights who, if frenzied, can still do a hell of a lot of damage. They may not need a full command; I see lots of lists w/out any command options but I like bringing a banner and a musician.

I don't see anything wrong w/giving your warriors a standard bearer and a musician most of the time; unless they're Frenzied having the extra combat res from a banner is handy.

I'm not a huge fan of the Lore of Tzeentch...Gateway for lvl4s is cool (although ridiculous...) but otherwise nothing really jumps out from there. I run one lvl2 w/Tzeentch but also the Book of Secrets just so he can wizz around on his disc throwing out Fireballs and Flickering Fires. The third spell he knows may or may not be useful, since the other spells can either be too situational, too difficult to cast for a lvl2, or simply not worth using power dice on. I'd recommend Lore of Slaanesh for one sorceror, so long as you're not facing ItP armies it's very cool.

So with this info i went with this..... CnC is welcome?

2250 Pts - Warriors of Chaos Roster - choas casting list...2250

Chaos Warriors (18#, 348 Pts)
18 Chaos Warriors of Khorne @ 348 Pts
Mark of Khorne; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Halberd; Chaos Armor; Shield; Frenzy

Chaos Warriors (18#, 348 Pts)
18 Chaos Warriors of Khorne @ 348 Pts
Mark of Khorne; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Halberd; Chaos Armor; Shield; Frenzy

Marauder Horsemen (5#, 75 Pts)
5 Marauder Horsemen @ 75 Pts
Hand Weapon; Flail; Fast Cavalry
5 Warhorse @ [0] Pts

Chaos Knights (6#, 270 Pts)
6 Chaos Knights of Khorne @ 270 Pts
Mark of Khorne; Barding; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield; Causes Fear; Frenzy
6 Chaos Steed @ [0] Pts

Exalted Hero (1#, 169 Pts)
1 Exalted Hero (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 169 Pts
Hand Weapon; Halberd; Chaos Armor; Shield; Battle Standard Bearer
1 War Banner @ [25] Pts

Sorcerer (2#, 195 Pts)
1 Chaos Sorcerer of Slaanesh @ 195 Pts
Mark of Slaanesh; Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor
1 Steed of Slaanesh @ [25] Pts
Causes Fear; Fast Cavalry; Poisoned Attacks
1 Dispel Scroll @ [25] Pts
1 Bloodcurdling Roar @ [20] Pts

Sorcerer (1#, 185 Pts)
1 Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch @ 185 Pts
Mark of Tzeentch; Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor
1 Stream of Corruption @ [20] Pts

Sorcerer (2#, 235 Pts)
1 Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch @ 235 Pts
General; Mark of Tzeentch; Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor
1 Disc of Tzeentch @ [20] Pts
Flaming Attacks; Causes Fear; Flyer
1 Book of Secrets @ [25] Pts
1 Third Eye of Tzeentch @ [25] Pts

Chaos Warshrine (1#, 150 Pts)
1 Chaos Warshrine of Tzeentch @ 150 Pts
Mark of Tzeentch

Chaos Warshrine (1#, 150 Pts)
1 Chaos Warshrine of Tzeentch @ 150 Pts
Mark of Tzeentch

Chaos Hounds (5#, 30 Pts)
5 Chaos Warhounds @ 30 Pts

Total Roster Cost: 2245

I like the idea of 3 mount sorcerers..thoughts?

Drachen_Jager
07-09-2009, 18:30
I think you'd be better off trading two sorcerers for one Sorcerer Lord, the lord level magic spells for WoC are the truly devestating ones. I wouldn't waste so many points on gifts but make sure to take the puppet, especially when you take the book of secrets.

On the whole it's OK but I think you'll find that your mounted stuff does far better for you than the infantry. Knights of Khorne in 6es are a favourite of mine, my army is based around 4 units of them and there's very little that can stand in their path.

Kerill
08-09-2009, 06:58
The most effective way to use all those warriors would be to go with a bsb with the banner of the gods. Then add in a level 4 sorceror of Tzeentch and one or two level 2 sorcerors (nurgle or Tzeentch), 2 warshrines, 3-4 units of dogs and then load up with warriors for the rest.

With stubborn and the bsb re-roll its the most effective infantry line that WOC can get and overcomes one of their main problems- how easy they are to break.