PDA

View Full Version : Flank marching/fast cav question

Lord_Crull
06-09-2009, 22:22
How does it work? I have had it mentioned many times, but I don't know how it works at all.

Witchblade
06-09-2009, 22:51
Flank marching... what are you asking?

Fast cavalry is a rule from the rulebook.

March blocking a unit is being within 8' of it to prevent it from marching.

Lord_Crull
06-09-2009, 23:54
Flank marching... what are you asking?

Fast cavalry is a rule from the rulebook.

March blocking a unit is being within 8' of it to prevent it from marching.

You know, putting a unit in front of another unit to bait it's charge. I've never seen it done.

lcfr
06-09-2009, 23:59
'Flank marching' isn't really a term in use (not one I've heard of anyways), but I think the gist of your question makes sense.

You don't need to have Fast Cavalry for this to work either, but they're the best kind of troops for fleeing as a charge reaction imo.

Anyways, all you do is set up your 'fleeing' unit on an angle with another unit a bit further back and, when the enemy charges, opt to flee as a charge reaction. Since the charging enemy needs to line up w/your fleeing unit it effectively 'follows' it, leaving its flanks exposed to your unit set a bit further back. This generally works best against Frenzied troops who are forced to charge, since most generals won't fall for this trick in its simplest form. Is this what you're referring to?

Witchblade
07-09-2009, 00:03
Baiting? It's as you described, basically.

On frenzied units it works wonders, as they are forced to charge the bait.

Baiting can also be achieved by charging a unit with hatred with the intent of breaking and fleeing from combat, forcing the enemy to pursue.

A general use of baiting is to use a unit like heavy cavalry to move within mutual charge range of, say, another unit of cavalry and set up a countercharge. If they take the bait, your cavalry flees and you countercharge, preferably in the flank. If they don't take the bait, they get charged by your cavalry. That's the basic idea at least.