PDA

View Full Version : question on hydra handlers

fubukii
06-09-2009, 23:04
Lets say that a unit of knights (dragon princes for this example) charge a hydra

4 knights must attack the hydra as we know, but theres 2 knight that can swing at handler. Now my question is if the knight does 2 wounds will both handlers die or are they unit champion like?

To my understanding i think both would die but i could be wrong?

Sarah S
06-09-2009, 23:07
They are rank and file like every other rank and file model.

Witchblade
07-09-2009, 00:08
They are rank and file like every other rank and file model.
I.e. the wounds carry over to the other handler.

Foxbat
07-09-2009, 00:13
Lets say that a unit of knights (dragon princes for this example) charge a hydra

4 knights must attack the hydra as we know, but theres 2 knight that can swing at handler. Now my question is if the knight does 2 wounds will both handlers die or are they unit champion like?

To my understanding i think both would die but i could be wrong?

Assuming your using a 6 model wide DP unit, then a charge to the:
- Front/Rear: Only the 5th DP can swing at the handlers. The sixth model is not in b-t-b with either the hydra or the handlers (Base width of Hydra + 2 DE handlers: 90 mm, while 4 DPs are 100 mm + the first corner-to-corner).
- Flank: All of the six models must attack the hydra (4 in b-t-b and 2 corner-to-corner). If you had a seventh it could attack the handlers, but if there were an eighth it couldnít attack (same as the sixth above).

Itís for this reason that many HE players are placing their Noble or unit champion in the #5 DP model location when facing a DE with hydras. They are hoping the Noble/unit champ can kill both handlers on the charge.

Necromancy Black
07-09-2009, 00:13
Wounds carry over from one handler to the other.

One-S
07-09-2009, 06:08
There's something odd about the whole situation.
IMO, if the hydra gets charged in the front, only 4 DP get to attack the hydra and that's it.
Let me explain:
If, as per monster and handlers rule, a hydra gets charged, then the handlers are ignored.
So the DP have to maximize on the hydra (4 DP in contact).
After that, the DE player must place as much handlers as possible in combat, BUT he doesn't have to take more DP in combat (only the charger must maximize, not the charged unit).
So if you put one handler on each side of the hydra, then the handlers are all in combat and the 4DP can only attack the hydra.

Atrahasis
07-09-2009, 06:22
No, One-S, the handlers must maximise both sides.

M&H form up like skirmshers, and when skirmishers form up, they must maximise.