PDA

View Full Version : Quick BSB Question

Axis
07-09-2009, 06:38
This came up in our game today and we couldn't figure it out. Maybe we are stupid...

If a unit has the army BSB in it and is combat and the BSB is killed do you still get to claim the +1 combat resolution for having the BSB or not?

wolf40k
07-09-2009, 06:48
No, because he dies before you tally up the score and he counts as the 1 or 2 wounds it took to kill him.

Axis
07-09-2009, 07:38
I thought ranks were decided before casualties so maybe the standards were the same... but we did play it the way you suggest.

Sirroelivan
07-09-2009, 08:19
Ranks are the only thing that's counted at the start of the combat, all the rest (sufficient us for flanking, outnumbering, etc...) is determined at the end of the combat.

Condottiere
07-09-2009, 08:25
If you think about it, he's in the front rank and that banner is visible. He dies, it drops and the effect is immediate, whereas at the beginning of the phase you have a vague idea about the size of your unit.

Necromancy Black
07-09-2009, 08:48
Ranks are the only thing that's counted at the start of the combat, all the rest (sufficient us for flanking, outnumbering, etc...) is determined at the end of the combat.

Kinda right/wrong. As you said, ranks are counted at the start of combat. The rules make it clear ranks are also negated at the start of combat and you don't get the rank bonus back until the next combat.

Sirroelivan
07-09-2009, 11:16
Well, I was thinking of sufficient unit strength to get the combat resolution bonus for a flank / rear attack in this case.

Necromancy Black
07-09-2009, 13:05
Ah yes, forgot about that. You are correct.

Carpet
07-09-2009, 18:32
Kinda right/wrong. As you said, ranks are counted at the start of combat. The rules make it clear ranks are also negated at the start of combat and you don't get the rank bonus back until the next combat.

I'd totally missed this! Makes a squishy fast cav flank charge a bit more enticing now...