PDA

View Full Version : Parking space on the battlefield

howlinmonkey
07-09-2009, 17:47
Hello,

With all the large kits that are available now and no doubt more on the way,I was just wondering how players cope with them on the battlefield.
I'm talking about space.Most battlefields are 4x4 or 6x4,so I reckon if you get more than say two in a battle are you having problems just trying to move them amongst the armies/other vehicles?
For example:Baneblade owners;how do you navigate the typical battle or do you get stuck at your starting point like a motorway traffic jam?

As more players use these behemoths in 40k,is 40k going to descend into a long distance shooting match?
I just have this vision of all these big vehicles/creatures totally clogging the battlefield,and will the new motto be:in the far future,there is only (traffic)chaos...
Thoughts?

Korras
07-09-2009, 17:55
I usually fill 25% of my table with terrain, and then scatter it all over the table. any more, and things get clogged up. any less, and it becomes a long-range shooting competition, which any guard army with a bit of selfrespect will win.

with 25%, there's still plenty of room to move around, but not enough room to get things clogged up.

Corrode
07-09-2009, 18:01
The kind of games that use those massive things like Baneblades or Titans tend to be Apocalypse-sized, and are often played on an 8x4 board or more. In normal sized games the only things that bother me are playing an Ork horde w/ Spearhead (trying to fit all the Boyz into the deployment zone on a 6x4 can be challenging) and Valkyries, which absolutely dominate the board and are kinda bothersome. Not to mention the fact that I've nearly killed my clubmate's one by twatting it with my elbow because I don't expect things to be floating a foot off the board.

Emperors Teeth
07-09-2009, 18:29
I drives me nuts when at the local GW the manager places any games under 1500 points (40k) on a 4x4 board. You ever tried having a fun game with any sense of maneuverability on a board that size with a guard army. it's a slug-fest no matter the mission.

Bunnahabhain
07-09-2009, 18:31
Simplest way to make 40K better.

Put 1500pts on an 8 by 6. Keep the deployment zones the same- quarters, long sides 24" apart, or whatever. Make sure you have the appropriate level of terrain.

The extra space to manouver makes the game so much better.

grissom2006
07-09-2009, 19:10
As seen as the large vehicle types Baneblades, Titans, Stoppers etc... Are all really design for large games and not the average board game i never ever play on a board thats less than 8x4.

Emperors Teeth i feel for you i used to right my Pretorian Guard list as a pure infantry list 100+ models into a manicly small amount of space and not much room to to get about.

Fallen DA
07-09-2009, 19:25
Once I get the space I plan on having a 20x6 table if not bigger, for the very reason that I prefer to have the room to move, it makes the game more enjoyable as far as I'm concerned.

grissom2006
07-09-2009, 19:29
Once I get the space I plan on having a 20x6 table if not bigger, for the very reason that I prefer to have the room to move, it makes the game more enjoyable as far as I'm concerned.

I wanna play on that board ages since i played a game that huge. :D:p

Dach
07-09-2009, 20:50
At my LGS, for normal game we use 6'x4' table as long were under 2500 point.

For APO game which are generally 6000 point per side. 2vs2 we take 2 table and make one of 8'x6'.

Terrain is mostly around 30%-40%.

brightblade
07-09-2009, 21:07
I wanna play on that board ages since i played a game that huge. :D:p

Me too. Form an orderly queue, folks.:D

We play on a 6x4 up to 3000pts which is all good beyond that we go up to 8x4.

Helicon_One
07-09-2009, 21:11
Try to aim for 2x4 for every 500pts on each side, any more than that and... yeah, you have SardinesHammer

Bodysnatcher
07-09-2009, 22:57
AKA 'I has assault autowin army' style games.

Loki73
07-09-2009, 23:04
we just got done playing on a 12x8. There was alot of traffic. So much in fact my space marine baneblade, six rhinos, two dps and 1 razorback had to out flank to get in. One way to mitigate is on a any wrecked or destroyed remove the tank.

ThePrecious
08-09-2009, 02:01
I am finding I have a very hard time doing any sort of monouvering with my infantry guard army on all but the largest board.

I played a planetscape game on a relatively large board today and that worked out rather well because of the lack of terrain on most of the board and scattering.

Aurenian
08-09-2009, 04:17
Bodysnatcher: I have to disagree with you on the 'assault autowin' sentiment. I find if you can sacrifice a unit or two to their front line you can severely punish an assault-based enemy with rapid fire and point-blank artillery(smaller tables=models closer together :)

i definitley agree that you'll want at least 6'x4' for 1500-2000pts

Imperius
08-09-2009, 04:20
Well, typically when i do use superheavies, I try to make a static gunline.
Yes its boring, but when I really feel like shooting the hell out of something, 150 lasguns, 9 leman russ', a couple of basilisks and a Baneblade fit the bill.