PDA

View Full Version : Casting Multiples of the same spell

MrWoten
08-09-2009, 02:55
Is this legal? I can't find anything in the rulebook saying that the one model can't cast the same spell again, or that another Mage from the same army could not attempt that spell, but people here keep telling me otherwise.

Then again they've gotten so many rules wrong before..

Ultimate Life Form
08-09-2009, 03:05
They keep telling you because it's true.

BRB page 107: Each wizard can attempt to cast each of his spells exactly once. Little room for interpretation. Therefore, it is illegal unless the army has a special rule that says otherwise.

MrWoten
08-09-2009, 03:07
They keep telling you because it's true.

BRB page 107: Each wizard can attempt to cast each of his spells exactly once. Little room for interpretation. Therefore, it is illegal unless the army has a special rule that says otherwise.

They were also telling me a second Mage in my army could not attempt the same spell. So they're not entirely in the right of it.

Ultimate Life Form
08-09-2009, 03:08
Well, this is nonsense, of course.

MrWoten
08-09-2009, 03:09
Yes. But thanks for clarifying! I will point this out at our next game night.

Necromancy Black
08-09-2009, 07:17
just remember that Vampire Counts have a couple of spells with a sub-type (something like "Necromancy") that lets them be cast multiple times by the same wizard.

Condottiere
08-09-2009, 07:37
The default rule is that no spell can be repeated by the same caster during the same round. Exceptions are noted in each army book.

blindingdark
08-09-2009, 07:56
always bugg'd me this rule, play as a house rule that it may be tried more than once if its previously failed. Each spell may only be succesfuly cast once per round.

Onisuzume
08-09-2009, 12:18
Hm.. would make sense that each spell can be cast only once per magic phase.
Otherwise we could end up with wizards flying across the battlefield multiple times in a single turn (Steed of Shadows).

It also makes sense since the Deliverance of Itza (Lord Kroak's personal spell) explicitely states that it can be cast multiple times per magic phase.

But if its a friendly game, you can always house-rule it.

EvC
08-09-2009, 12:33
No, that wouldn't make sense at all Onisuzame. There are some spells that specifically state they cannot affect units more than once per turn, including movement spells. So yes you can use Steed of Shadows multiple times on the same wizard... or more likely, cast fireball twice. I'm not quite sure why kroak's rule would suggest that other wizards are forbidden from using the same spell in the same phase, given he's the only one that could ever have it.

Onisuzume
08-09-2009, 13:13
BRB page 107: Each wizard can attempt to cast each of his spells exactly once.
Leaves little room for other interpretation, that, combined with the rule on Kroak's spell, does strongly suggest that each spell can be cast only once per magic phase per casting unless otherwise noted.

So yes you can use Steed of Shadows multiple times on the same wizard...
Wizard doesn't have to cast it on himself.

There are some spells that specifically state they cannot affect units more than once per turn, including movement spells.
To prevent multiple casters from casting it on the same unit, yes.

EvC
08-09-2009, 16:35
The way you'd phrased your last post was as if you believed that different wizards could not cast the same spell each... which means we can have a wizard flying around multiple times with Steed.

Onisuzume
08-09-2009, 17:41
Now that I have the rulebook at hand:

In the first block I, ofcourse, meant per caster (and not per casting).

Steed of Shadows doesn't mention a limitation on how often it can be cast on a given unit during a single magic phase, so as long as you can get a unit to fly within 12" of another Grey Wizard, it can keep on flying as long as you have wizards who are still allowed to cast it (which each wizard can do only once per magic phase).

In the last case it is stated to prevent the above, since Steed of Shadow doesn't mention that restriction, it can be cast multiple times on the same unit, provided it is cast by different wizards.

I'm not quite sure why kroak's rule would suggest that other wizards are forbidden from using the same spell in the same phase, given he's the only one that could ever have it.
Like mentioned repeatedly above: BRB page 107 that a wizard can cast each spell once during a magic phase, regardless of the spell.
The Deliverance of Itza, however, explicitely states that "The spell can be cast as many times per turn as you like, as long as you have sufficient power dice to do so."
Thus allowing Lord Kroak to cast more than one spell per magic phase (Lord Kroak is a 4th level wizard, yet knows only one spell (Deliverance of Itza) because of his special rules).

kramplarv
09-09-2009, 08:53
I do not really see how your twos arguments are opposed? You are both saying the same thing..??

only on warseer....

EvC
09-09-2009, 12:14
Because one guy said "Each spell may only be succesfuly cast once per round." and then he said "would make sense that each spell can be cast only once per magic phase", which is absolutely wrong as of course you can cast any spell once per caster, as he then went on to clarify later ;)