PDA

View Full Version : dwarf thunderer/quarreler box. THE HORROR!!!

TheWarSmith
08-09-2009, 04:13
So I bought this box as part of a project army, and it's the only plastic dwarven models i'm using in the army. I thought to myself, they're 7th edition models, they'll be nice.

Boy was I wrong. This has to be one of the worst modern plastic sets they've ever made. Complete lack of variability(4 feet/body bits) and absolutely no flexibility in pose.

Added to that they don't go together particularly well, and leave bad gaps around the shoulders, and have mold lines around the detailed raised parts(helmets) that are tricky to remove without killing details.

This plastic set has to get one of, if not THE, worst rating of any modern plastic set. It's firmly put it in my head that I will NEVER play dwarves.

Orcboy_Phil
08-09-2009, 08:19
Now imagine that you had to convert each and every one of those with new beards and hats :(

venus_redscar
08-09-2009, 08:22
I think mine are still sitting half painted in a bits box. Metal Dwarfs are much much better. Although the new miner set was pretty good.

Sirroelivan
08-09-2009, 09:06
Well, if a box has a lack of flexibility in pose, that's usually to prevent major problems when ranking up. (GW has been doing this with more recent boxes)

Vermin-thing
08-09-2009, 09:41
The heads/arms match up to the back/legs fine. I recommend clipping off the back/legs, and finding the head/arms (on the sprue) that fit for each model. As for mould lines if you have the right tools for the job you'll be fine.

GodSlayer
08-09-2009, 11:44
Well, if a box has a lack of flexibility in pose, that's usually to prevent major problems when ranking up. (GW has been doing this with more recent boxes)

I made a few Quarellers, and it's not that true. Especially if there not holding the crossbow in two hands.

On the topic, I don't this it's so bad. What's nice is that you can switch body with warrior since they seem compatible with the other spues.

Nephilim of Sin
08-09-2009, 11:52
On the topic, I don't this it's so bad. What's nice is that you can switch body with warrior since they seem compatible with the other spues.

See, I only had this problem when I accidentally did this after buying the battalion (and putting all the front/backs together regardless of kit). So there are a few with the noticeable gaps, but it was nowhere near as bad for me.

Besides, they are leaps and bounds ahead of the horrible BfSP Thunderers.

AndyGI
08-09-2009, 16:25
The Thunderers rank up easier than the Quarrellers. I angled mine in a front rank/back rank kinda way (before i realised they're most useful in 1 rank of 10)

TheSil
08-09-2009, 16:36
I had no problems assembling my plastic dwarfs, neither the ranged troops nor the clan warriors, the fit nicely in my experience

In fact I really like these models

The have a lack of different poses that's true, but hey, half of the "modern plastic sets" as you call them do

I only need to mention the Empire State Troops... how many poses can you make with the helbarders/spearmen? One? Swordsmen? Two perhaps? And the Empire ranged troops are not much better.
Same for Night Goblins and co.
Even Ogres have a noticable limit to the poses you can do without Greenstuff

Ghouls and Skeletons seem fine though.
Still I don't see how Dwarfs would be one of the worst modern kits around...

TeddyC
09-09-2009, 21:36
i have none of these horrific models in the my dwarf army (though I have got a few Bfsp sets to pad out numbers)

I really hate the way they took dwarfs, old metal ones were so much better. fat faces, a bit of character

Malorian
09-09-2009, 21:39
The lack of pose and the fact that hugging their weapons near their face is a bit of a pain, but they aren't THAT bad...

dwarfhold13
09-09-2009, 21:46
i started dwarfs in the 6th ed. and have a bunch of metal thunderers, and thats what i chose to paint up for my army.. i don't think the plastic ones are that bad, as they are definitely easier to paint and all around cleaner models, but, you're right, there isn't much variety in them.. but i think the metal thunderers only had like 4 models too (other than command)
it could be worse.. they could all look like the BfSP dwarfs!

txamil
09-09-2009, 23:56
Hack them into Chaos Dwarfs.

Putty
10-09-2009, 06:24
that is ok compared to the problem i have.

i got 100 marauders. and i only want to field great weapons for all of them.

the boxes come with frails, hand weapons and shields, NO great weapons.

some people have said you can use the frails and say they are great weapons when you play. then again, for WYSIWYG tournament reasons, that is not always true.

i will have to be a certifiable lunatic if i decide to convert all 100 frails to great weapons.

this hobby can be very demoralizing when you eventually realize that you pay so much money for products that are not supported properly.

Roark
10-09-2009, 07:52
Dude, for those Marauders, just use the flail arms-and-shaft and glue an axehead to the end. Voila, Greatweapons. It's not that hard and looks pretty good.

Putty
10-09-2009, 09:18
Dude, for those Marauders, just use the flail arms-and-shaft and glue an axehead to the end. Voila, Greatweapons. It's not that hard and looks pretty good.

would have to use Warrior weapon-heads then, got those en-mass...

thanks for that super tip!! :D

*big hugs*