PDA

View Full Version : Hill Bonus

Asmodiseus
08-09-2009, 04:42
quick question.

I have always played it that if a unit is on top of a hill and they get charged by a unit on the ground, they get the +1 hill bonus for the first round of combat, then in any subsequest rounds the units are considered on equal ground. Played a game today and my opponent insisted that you only get the bonus if your on higher ground and your opponent is not so unless my unit is at the very edge of the hill so that the charging unit has to stop before he is on the hill, that you dont get the bonus because once the charging unit steps foot on the hill they are considered on equal ground. Is this in fact the case?

Alathir
08-09-2009, 04:47
I can't say for sure, but my understanding is that if a unit A is on top of the hill in the center of it and unit B charges up and onto the hill then no combat bonus would be granted to unit A.

However, if Unit A is on the edge of the hill and unit B charges them, then Unit A would gain a +1 bonus to their resolution. I'm not sure if it lasts one turn or until Unit B wins a round of combat.

Hope that helps.

ce13
08-09-2009, 04:54
The charging unit would have to get a majority of their unit onto the same level as the unit accepting the charge to negate the +1 combat res. for higher ground.

Unuhexium
08-09-2009, 06:47
We had the same arguement here and solved it by dividing the hill into two "levels" for this purpose only. Top and side. If you are on the top and the enemy can't get half his unit onto the top aswell then the defenders get +1 CR and then the same goes for charging from flat ground to the side. That way you don't have to balance those archers on the very edge of the hill just to they can have the slightest chance of winning.

The Red Scourge
08-09-2009, 07:13
We've always done it like this:

The unit initially on the hill gets the +1 bonus, untill they've lost combat for the first time.

This is easy, and takes into account that combat is a somewhat chaotic thing, where people aren't necessarily standing around frozen in heroic poses on 20x20 mm feet :)

Atrahasis
08-09-2009, 09:03
Fighting rank in highest position gets the bonus.

Anaris
08-09-2009, 09:39
Yeah, that's what I was going to say.

Although my prefferred method of doing it, and could be accepted as a house rule, is any unit which is on a hill and is charged by a unit on the flat gets the +1 combat res. After all, charging up a hill wearing armour and carrying a big sword is damm tiring.

For a laugh one day on the way home from work I decieded to "charge" Stirling Castle i.e. run up the hill as fast as possible. Even without the armour and weapon I was ready to fall over half way up.