PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40K Advanced Gamer Supplement- an idea

Damage,Inc.
08-09-2009, 09:46
This is an idea that I've had for years- something that I would like to see Games Workshop pick up on. After seeing the BoLS supplements and play-aids, this idea becomes even more plausible.

Some of the fun aspects of Rogue Trader was all the random charts, and seemingly endless sub-plots or things you could throw together to make unique games. Over the years many faucets of what had made RT cool were republished in the Citadel Journal, Chapter Approved, White Dwarf, online and other areas.

What I suggest is compling a list of these items into a sort of 'advanced gamer' supplement. These games would be more in the line of 'fun' games between friends and not competitive WAAC tournament games. Some 4+ing for rules might be needed but that's okay so long as everyone's having fun.

Things I would like to see included would be:
+A reworked 40K in 40 Minutes and Kill Team into a skirmish set. Set the point at 500-750, bar certain things as too powerful, give all squads the Combat Squads rule. Along with this goes a list of interesting, whacky sub-plots like RT, BFG to give the games a reason to be happening. Keep Kill Team as is for the feel on infiltrating a single squad on a suicide mission. Make some basic rules on how the games apply to each other.
+Vehicle Design Rules (VDR came out in WD several years ago and wasn't too bad for fun play.
+Creature Feature, or creature VDR. This came out in WD and online a few years back. This allowed people to make aliens and animals for use in games- random animals for Death Worlds, powerful monsters both armies are trying to kill/capture, even Enslavers made an appearance.
+Hazardous Environments. This also was online, maybe in WD. It was based on the NEcromunda hazardous terrain tables. Using this table you could make any dangerous planet, moon, asteroid or whereever your battlefield. Perhaps your army needs to knock out an outpost on a small moon prior to an invasion, but there's a meteorshower raining death from above?
+Expanded missions. There have been a lot of cool missions published over the years. I'd like to see a decent selection of these compiled into a list of alternate/story-based missions.

Basically all this stuff has already been published over the last 5-10 years. It would be interesting to use it all, revamp parts to bring it in line with 5th edition, and use it to expand the hobby.

Ideas, suggestions, gripes?

Sekhmet
08-09-2009, 10:03
I would like to see a Kill-team squad allowed inside a regular 40k game.

Say, for 200 pts you can take a 180 pt Kill-team, and subtract 10 points from your 180 for every mutable rule you break, and cannot break immutables.

Damage,Inc.
08-09-2009, 10:06
That too would be a cool game within a game setting, or sub mission. That might even be interesting to play a kill team during someone else's game- while their game rages aboud your Kill team, you must accomplish your goals against everyone...

Damage,Inc.
08-09-2009, 10:07
So, anyone have the old VDR/TDR and updates? Any of the Creature Features? Other interesting things to add? Maybe we as a gaming community can bang out a play-aid of sorts.

Frostmane
08-09-2009, 10:08
I would like a in depth campaign complete with resources, supply lines, a world map, and which could include rules for galaxy control when we include Gothic. I know it is a huge undertaking that would even require a great deal of commitment from the players, but trying to develop it with my group on our spare time is killer.

Damage,Inc.
08-09-2009, 10:13
Ah, perhaps then we could work as groups on several supplements-
A smaller table-top based game skirmish level and up
An in depth campaign system
What else?

Eldoriath
08-09-2009, 10:17
Got the creature feature, VDR and som other PDF and stuff right here =)

Damage,Inc.
08-09-2009, 10:21
You sir, rock. That's a big chunk of stuff.

Eldoriath
08-09-2009, 10:23
Thanks, I have tried to collect most of the GW stuff over the years and have ended up with some, even though all too much (according to me) have been lost through the continous process of getting new computer every once in a while. But at least some have been preserved.

Damage,Inc.
08-09-2009, 10:25
I have had the same problem. I'm now in the process of converting good documents to .pdf to keep for these hard drive change overs/

It's a start on things. Now to get some Kill Team stuff, more missions, different objective, Maybe exspanded night fighting rules, etc.

Eldoriath
08-09-2009, 10:31
More missions? No problem, here are some =)

grissom2006
08-09-2009, 11:13
Always been my thought that a compendium and advanced rules book should be done for those of us who have been playing for decades now. I'll have to see what i can dig out of my old WD's and such.

Damage,Inc.
08-09-2009, 17:03
I've collected some really good stuff so far guys. Now I need to go through it all and update it to the current edition.

Anything else that you'd like to see in such a game supplement? More missions from WD, RT Tourneys, GW mini-campaigns, Armageddon rules, EOT rules, etc?

Also, does anyone have the mission template that was floating around a while back? The one that can be used to easily clean up their presentation?