PDA

View Full Version : charge reaction-flee!!!!

Da Crusha
08-09-2009, 10:32
I was playing a game this weekend I was using dwarfs and my opponent was warriors of chaos. I positioned my gyrocopter to get charged by his frenzied knights 1 inch away, I chose flee charge reaction and rolled 10 or 11 inches and his knights could not catch the gyro because the knights could not fit through the opening in the battle line to catch the gyro. he argued that since the knights had a sufficient charge range to catch the gyro that the gyro was caught, similar to when a unit breaks and flees and both sides roll the same dice number. Is this the way it was supposed to go because I thought since the knights could not actually catch the gyro then he would get away?

Sirroelivan
08-09-2009, 10:49
Your gyro would indeed get away.
Though, seeing as you mention the knights not getting through a hole in your battle line, they probably would have been able to redirect their charge to one of the blocking units.

Witchblade
08-09-2009, 11:09
Either the charge fails or there's an enemy in the way. Unless the warriors actually contact the gyro's base, the gyro lives.

Jiggy
08-09-2009, 11:16
If the distance between your gyro and his knights was 1 inch and you rolled 11 then you get 1+11=12 inches.His charge is 14 inches so he gets you.

theunwantedbeing
08-09-2009, 11:37
I'm assuming my diagram is roughly correct as to what happened.

The Gyrocopter is the green square, the Dwarves are the blue ones and the Knights are the Red ones.

Clearly the Knights cannot reach the Gyrocopter, despite the Gyrcopter being well within their charge range. They will hit the Dwarves well before they hit the Gyrcopter.

As a result, the Gyrocopter is safe despite not fleeing far enough away to get beyond the knights charge range.

Had the dwarves not been there, the gyrocopter would have been caught.
Although in this situation there is nothing preventing the knights from now declaring enemy in the way and charging one (or both) of those dwarf units.

Note:
Had the Gyrocopter broke from combat with the knights then he would have been run down.
As you only move fleeing units if they roll high enough to escape from their persuers. Although this of course means the knights move a random 3D6" as well, not their charge range.

For whatever reason this confuses the heck out of people and I am at a loss as to why this is.

Lazarus15
08-09-2009, 12:44
And correct ^.

Chiungalla
08-09-2009, 16:55
If the distance between your gyro and his knights was 1 inch and you rolled 11 then you get 1+11=12 inches.His charge is 14 inches so he gets you.

You are dead wrong. Thats not how it works in warhammer.

You move the fleeing unit, and then your opponent needs to actually reach the unit to destroy it. There is nothing like comparing the inch results in the rules.

Da Crusha
08-09-2009, 22:55
ok thanks guys thats how I thought it was, I guess I got dooped then. well, next time Ill know and Ill get it right.

*the knights couldn't get through because another one of his knight units was already in combat, so his frenzied knights hit the rear of those knights. I forgot to mention this part, but it doesn't change the situation.