PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy a new army, do I sell the old one?

toymaker
08-09-2009, 17:30
For the record I don't have just one army. I have 4: Death Guard, World Eaters/Skulltakers, Ork (Bad Moonz) and a 2.2K Emperor's Children army. The EC army is the one in question. I have the army going all the bells and whistles: 2 full sonic squads, FW Dread with weapons options, FW vehicle upgrades. It's all unbuilt. I want to get a 2.2K SM army.

Is it worth trying to sell off the army piecemeal where I know not everything will sell and be stuck with the dregs that no one wants. Or should I just get the SM army. I really don't want a 5th army and the EC's are just sitting in a box. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appriciated.

Imperius
08-09-2009, 17:32
Sell the one you don't like, and I would reccommend cutting the other ones back to Tournament Size lists, maybe 1 or 2 can be Apocalypse size.

toymaker
08-09-2009, 18:42
Thanks for the advice. The DG/WE is apoc size. (My main army, I pick from both as needed.) My orks are also Apoc size but that's so the other army has an opponent.

So what would you recommend? Small opening bid with reserve or Buy It Now/Best Offer?

SPYDER68
08-09-2009, 18:52
Is it all painted ?

If not i recommend not playing with a sea of unpainted models :P

toymaker
08-09-2009, 19:08
LOL. No my Chaos is really far along The orks I just started.
The army I want to sell is unbuilt/unpainted

SPYDER68
08-09-2009, 19:12
I suggest to not even consider a new army till you have what you want to keep painted :P

toymaker
08-09-2009, 19:32
Yes, Dear :P It's actually for my son.

SPYDER68
08-09-2009, 19:39
Yes, Dear :P It's actually for my son.

You asked for openions.. so i gave you one.

Also to note..

"You dont really want a 5th army" doesnt hint at all its for someone else.

Captain Micha
08-09-2009, 19:42
How bad do you really hate your EC?

Also, if the army is for your son, why are you worried about owning a 5th army when the next one is his?

Cervantes3773
08-09-2009, 19:43
You can try going on bartertown and trading it with someone else.

Egaeus
08-09-2009, 20:05
For the record I don't have just one army. I have 4: Death Guard, World Eaters/Skulltakers, Ork (Bad Moonz) and a 2.2K Emperor's Children army. The EC army is the one in question. I have the army going all the bells and whistles: 2 full sonic squads, FW Dread with weapons options, FW vehicle upgrades. It's all unbuilt. I want to get a 2.2K SM army.

Is it worth trying to sell off the army piecemeal where I know not everything will sell and be stuck with the dregs that no one wants. Or should I just get the SM army. I really don't want a 5th army and the EC's are just sitting in a box. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appriciated.

I've got a couple armies myself, one is my first Space Marine army that I don't play anymore, and I've got a 3.5e chaos army (the boxed army plus other bits picked up here and there) still in the box that I've never quite had the inclination to paint.

I've considered selling the Chaos army on a number of occaisions, but just can't quite bring myself to do it, as I'm sure as soon as it's gone I'll have an inspiration to start a Chaos army for whatever fool reason.

So...

(1) Are you financially strapped? That is, would you need to sell one army to purchase the new one? You haven't made it sound like this is an issue.

(2) Is space an issue? I know that these armies have the potential to take up a lot of room and excess clutter is a bad thing. Again, you havn't made it sound like this is the case.

(3) If you do sell it are you going to regret it? I know some people deal with this is different ways, and as mentioned this is one of the reasons I find it difficult to part with some of the things I have.

(4) Are you willing to take a loss (if applicable)? This stems from the "is it worth it?" comment...obviouly if you put it on eBay or something similar there's the possibility that it will go for a good price, but if not are you willing to let it go for less than what you perceive it's worth to be?

Basically you say you don't want a 5th army, but I'm curious (hence the questions) as to exactly why not...

toymaker
09-09-2009, 00:53
So...

(1) Are you financially strapped? That is, would you need to sell one army to purchase the new one? You haven't made it sound like this is an issue.

Nope. but rather than laying out a good amount of money, rather use money from selling.

(2) Is space an issue? I know that these armies have the potential to take up a lot of room and excess clutter is a bad thing. Again, you havn't made it sound like this is the case.
I have my own studio so space isn't really an issue. I do have limited display space though. And I don't want too many armies to work on. 3-4 is the most I want to handle

(3) If you do sell it are you going to regret it? I know some people deal with this is different ways, and as mentioned this is one of the reasons I find it difficult to part with some of the things I have.
I won't regret it. I'm getting to that point of just wanting it out of my house.

(4) Are you willing to take a loss (if applicable)? This stems from the "is it worth it?" comment...obviouly if you put it on eBay or something similar there's the possibility that it will go for a good price, but if not are you willing to let it go for less than what you perceive it's worth to be?
I'm willing to take some of a hit to get the army out of my house. I just sold a Skorne army for 200. Same deal. I want it out of my house. Also the adage bird in the hand is something to keep in mind. Meaning if I have a reasonable offer I'll take reasonable adjustments to seal the deal.

Bunnahabhain
09-09-2009, 01:04
Yes. You've got good reason to, and it's clear you won't miss it.

Given the ECs sound like a sensibly though out army, and it's unbuilt, you should be able to sell it for fairly near cost price, either to those looking to expand or start an army.

The biggest problems with buying a second hand army is are doesn't fit with your existing paint scheme, or isn't built as you like. Having it unbuilt gets you round that, so it's much more attractive.

Try to sell it as a job lot, at the local FLGS or club if possible, so shipping etc is avoided.

Hicks
09-09-2009, 01:27
I saw your army on Bartertown and I have to say it's a really nice looking lot. If I had the money I would certainly have made an offer. The thing though is that most people who go on Bartertown or Warseer's own trading forum are looking for good, cheap deals. Even for new stuff, you'll probably need to sell it for at least 30% off.

What I would suggest is to try to sell it as a whole for the amount you really want first. IF that doesn't work out, try to trade the whole army to get the most value out of it. Selling it piecemeal as you said can work (lord knows how many time I did it), but it can take an incredible amount of time to get rid of everything.

Filthy O'Bedlam
09-09-2009, 02:30
To my mind; No. I wouldn't sell any of them unless you can never envision using them again. But, If you need the cash, you need the cash; I just wouldn't want
you to later regret selling them.

Cheers, Filthy