PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard Rough Riders

Haunted_Undead
08-09-2009, 17:33
Right not sure if this should be here or in modelling but idea`s for my cadian rough riders have been put down to the scout bikers. My issue is the hunting lance and what to use for it. As I want my guard on bikes i`m wondering what to use as a lance while trying to fit with the bike theme?

Thoughts and suggestions?

Imperius
08-09-2009, 17:36
A brass rod with a spiky bit ontop of it.

A Stick Grenade replicates what a Hunting Lance does in WH40K too.

djinn8
08-09-2009, 17:43
Mount a rocket from the Heavy Weapon sprue on the side of the bike.

Bunnahabhain
08-09-2009, 18:18
I've used thin metal rod, and am currently onto my third design of explosive head for them. Trying to come up with something that looks workable, in scale, and simple enough to be disposable isn't easy...

Logarithm Udgaur
08-09-2009, 20:06
I would go with a missile on a stick like the Ork Tankbustas have. barring that, you could put something like an HK missile on the bikes or combi-melta type guns. Maybe something like the M79 under-barrel grenade launcher?

Cadian144
08-09-2009, 20:33
Not sure if they are still avalibale but ..? a few years back :confused:I bought a whole whack of hunting lances from the bitz department.

I know the Bitz dept has kind of gone the way of the Dodo but maybe they still have access to something like that ? Might be worth a phone call ?

if not as suggested a brass rod, spear tip from something and if you want to make it simple and not do a lot of modeling, why not just attach 2-3 grenades under the spear / lance tip?

Good luck with these, rough riders do wonders if they ever get to charge...almost anything:D

Angelwing
09-09-2009, 13:25
Auxiliary grenade launchers on the bikes, or simply festooning the riders in grenade belts might give the effect you want.

TrooperTino
10-09-2009, 23:14
WW2 german panzerfaust. its a one way weapon and small enough to be handled by a biker

chromedog
11-09-2009, 02:04
I use a short piece of rod, with a 'blade' tip and two grenades at the tip (handy, because this is how the grenades come already.). Meltagunner is carrying a meltagun. Flamer guy has his mounted on the bike.

- Yes, my rough riders are on bikes, too.
No, the bikes aren't GW (they're old OOP VOID viperwings). Scout bikes are still too large for cadians. These bikes are perfect size for them. The riders are ALL GW parts.

T_55
11-09-2009, 02:49
I'd just use the grenade launcher which come with the bike. They get 2 attacks on the charge so you can rationalise it as a close range 2 shot grenade launcher. And it looks neat because the bike was designed for it.

DEADMARSH
11-09-2009, 07:09
Not sure if they are still avalibale but ..? a few years back :confused:I bought a whole whack of hunting lances from the bitz department.

I know the Bitz dept has kind of gone the way of the Dodo but maybe they still have access to something like that ? Might be worth a phone call ?

if not as suggested a brass rod, spear tip from something and if you want to make it simple and not do a lot of modeling, why not just attach 2-3 grenades under the spear / lance tip?

Good luck with these, rough riders do wonders if they ever get to charge...almost anything:D

I used the original Attilan lances too. I found a guy selling 6 or 7 of the complete unassembled models on eBay and just said, "Oh, what the hell."

Didn't turn out to be too bad of an investment as I ended up using the lower bodies as well (this was before the SM Scout Bikers came out).

tu33y
11-09-2009, 10:22
i actually feel a bit sad about rough riders as i absolutley despise them, the models and all they stand for. but they seem to some IG users as mandatory. i would like the option to take 'sci-fi' RR but i dont have time or skill enough to build a scratch one.

years ago someone on the GW website made a cadian RR on a crosser motorbike but seeing as how he used a mix of eldar jetbike, marine bike and ork wheels as well as cadian bits each bike had a cost value of like 20. i wish forgeworld would do a decent option for cadians. i would even be happy with motorbike corps that just use bikes to get into a better firing position with their las rifles.

Luna de hierro
11-09-2009, 10:30
I used bretonnian lances for my RR:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/Luna_de_hierro/GI-WH/IMAG0039.jpg

freddieyu
11-09-2009, 13:03
you can use fantasy lances, then for the tip use the flamer bottles from spare flamers...

or model grenade launchers as "lances", as these look better for the cadian models...

again here are their pics (posted also on older threads)...

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/freddieyu/Newly%20finished%20models/SANY0262.jpg

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/freddieyu/Newly%20finished%20models/SANY0264.jpg

I used real cheap bikes I was lucky enough to find in a toy store.....

Haunted_Undead
11-09-2009, 15:15
Some good thoughts. Ill be doing my Plog soon so hopefully there will be some progress with what ill use by then

JHZ
11-09-2009, 19:26
Take the bike's grenade launcher without the drum and attach the HW team loose mortar onto the tip of it. It'll make a sort of RPG style short range shape charge, just like the lance, but fired up close (WW2 era panzerfaust had a very short range too). Mount a cut down lasgun on the other mount as the pistol, if you wish.

guillimansknight
11-09-2009, 19:30
Give them grenades in their hands??

Or Molotov cocktails that would look nice

hlaine larkin
11-09-2009, 22:03
i like to think of it as saving private ryan style tank demolition- when i think roughriders vs like termies, i think of bikes riding rings round them, sticking bombs on the termies armour :D

JHZ
11-09-2009, 22:19
i like to think of it as saving private ryan style tank demolition- when i think roughriders vs like termies, i think of bikes riding rings round them, sticking bombs on the termies armour :D
Thanks, now I do too, except my rough riders have warpaint and the terminators have muskets and puritan hats.