PDA

View Full Version : Giants!

Deglosh
08-09-2009, 18:53
:DMAN! just gotta say it!

BTW this is prob. the most worthless thread on this forum, nevertheless...:

The giant model with its sprue, DAMN i havent seen anything that kewl in anything ive bought from GW. I love how you can personalize it to make it the "essence" of the army. :P

i did it the "ork" giant, then i used for his hip-accessories, the beer keg and the bag of victims :P hehe gotta pay repsects to the stuff in bag attack :P hehehe.

only diferense is i made a beard out of greenstuff and put it on the head that pops up from the bag, so that its not a human, its a dwarf :P hehehe darn stuntes!

Then i greenstuffed two mushrooms and wedged them between his hip and the beer keg, and greenstuffed rope so that it looks like he tied them there for later use. hehe Gotta love it.

O&G'sRule
08-09-2009, 19:16
Its a great model, but its still not as goood as the marauder one. The orc and goblin giant is meant to be a big drunk, and only the marauder one captures that perfectly

Darth Alec
08-09-2009, 19:48
I love the Giant model. Absolutely brilliantly done. The Stegadon is awesome too. Love the new big plastic kits from GW.

Catferret
08-09-2009, 20:01
The new plastic one never appealed to me. To thin and stretched looking for my taste.

My favourite is still the late 90s metal giant. Having said that, I butchered the one I had to make an Inquisitor-scale Ogryn so now I have to find another one for my orc army... :rolleyes:

Malorian
08-09-2009, 20:04
I like the new plastic one. Probably why I have four of them ;)

Actually the forgeworld one is the best but I'd be better if it wasn't THAT giant...

Catferret
08-09-2009, 20:09
...but I'd be better if it wasn't THAT giant...

Seen the size of the Black Scorpion one (http://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/product.asp?product=FPI7&the_range=FPI)? It's also huge.

orlanth1000
08-09-2009, 20:31
I had a brainmelt, I made one of the most boring giants ever from that kits, huge regret.

Mid'ean
08-09-2009, 20:44
I'm kinda partial to the ultraforge one. Nice and big for way less than any others.....

http://www.ultraforgeminiatures.com/mercenary-giant.html

Baggers
08-09-2009, 20:56
I prefer the old metal marauder giant. The plastic kit is nice but its not to my liking.

Condottiere
08-09-2009, 21:18
The plastic one looks like an oversized (Warhammer OK) Ogre, The old one looked rather folklorish.

DarkTerror
08-09-2009, 23:51
+1 Vote for the Marauder giant. It was terrific and hands down beats the scrawny giant with funny-looking belly GW has out today.

Orcboy_Phil
09-09-2009, 03:49
Another vote for the Maruder Giant. I was so hoping it would become a collectors edition model when it featured in the top 25 minatures of all time poll.

artyboy
09-09-2009, 03:58
I had one of the metal ones that I converted to a slave giant. It turned out awesome. The new one is great, too, though. I think that the size of the new one scales better and it doesn't look as cartoony. You also have a lot more options without having to do a bunch of conversion work.

Schmapdi
09-09-2009, 05:52
I like the new giant kit - the older metal ones look too much like fairy tale "fee-fi-fo-fum" giants.

The new ones look like angry "I'm gonna stuff you in my pants" giants.

TheZombieSquig
09-09-2009, 06:05
The giant is indeed a great kit. Pity the hydra isn't plastic.

Tohellweride
09-09-2009, 08:05
I have both the old metal giant and the new plastic kit. I plan on using the metal one with my OnG when i finally get around to them. The plastic kit i use in my BoC army. Used the Chaos head then filed most of his face off. I then glued the big goat skull from the ogre bull kit onto his face to help tie his look into my beasts army. Looks pretty good and i am not great at converting so i was very pleased.

Safe to say i like both. Not to sound like a dick but i actually got the metal one for free as a friend of mine was getting rid of all his old stuff. I was a happy man that day. :D

kormas
09-09-2009, 11:17
can someone put a pic up of the 'marauder' giant, caus i really dunno what that is :D.

but i have 2 plastic giants and i love em

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
09-09-2009, 12:28
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/476WGG/giant.jpg

Voila, not the best pic. But is a really sweet model I mostly use him if i field a giant( I have 4 other giants so choices enough:p)

Greetz

Condottiere
09-09-2009, 12:50
I must admit missed his appearance in Braveheart.

Keller
09-09-2009, 13:20
I don't care at all for the new GW giant model. I use two different ones from Reaper for my slave giants in my OK army. They aren't a lot taller than the ogres, but tall enough to be distinguishable as a giant. I guess their smaller size explains why the Tyrant can be a Giant Breaker.

Sleazy
09-09-2009, 13:29
I have the Marauder one and the Ultraforge one. Both far better than the plastic one. Tho I admit the plastic one has grown on me (no pun intended).

Tokamak
09-09-2009, 15:51
I'm kinda partial to the ultraforge one. Nice and big for way less than any others.....

http://www.ultraforgeminiatures.com/mercenary-giant.html

I really dislike that one, it looks like a statue or some kind of collector's doll.

Brothersir
09-09-2009, 21:41
I got the Giants of Albion way years back. Cost the same as the then new 6th Ed. Giant and I got 2 instead of 1

TeddyC
09-09-2009, 21:53
The new plastic one never appealed to me. To thin and stretched looking for my taste.

My favourite is still the late 90s metal giant. Having said that, I butchered the one I had to make an Inquisitor-scale Ogryn so now I have to find another one for my orc army... :rolleyes:

I butchered my marauder one, I cry about it at times :cries:

Tokamak
09-09-2009, 22:41
How big is that marauder giant compared to the others? Is there a reference picture somewhere?

O&G'sRule
09-09-2009, 22:47
Another vote for the Maruder Giant. I was so hoping it would become a collectors edition model when it featured in the top 25 minatures of all time poll.

Was never going to happen. When GW released the plastic one they had to make that the only option to justify the cost of developing a plastic model, the marauder one still being around would take too many sales away.
The marauder is about an inch taller than the other metal giants, about the same height as the plastic one.

O&G'sRule
09-09-2009, 22:50
I got the Giants of Albion way years back. Cost the same as the then new 6th Ed. Giant and I got 2 instead of 1

But they were a travesty, I wouldn't even consider having those monstrosities in my army. up there as the worst gw models of all time, and an insult to marauder

mbh1127
09-09-2009, 23:01
The plastic giant is nice kit, but I hate the huge belly on it. I do have to give GW credit for making such a nice model though.

Maruder Giant wins hands down though. Such an awesome old school model. Brings back so many good memories.

GW is becoming really good with plastic kits. Some of the 40k stuff is mind blowing. Too bad it costs an arm and a leg to get them.

thechosenone
10-09-2009, 02:40
This seems like a good place to ask, i really want to play a giant and i know they can be used in most armies but i can't find the rules to actually run one. I'm not asking for free rules but i just want to know where the rules are for it? If its Dogs of war i'm not seeing giant rules in the download that was on GW's site.

kaubin
10-09-2009, 03:21
Orc and Goblin, Chaos Mortal and Ogre Kingdom Army books have giants in them. You can find the rules for giants in one of them, I think they are 2 pages of rules if I remember right.

Schmapdi
10-09-2009, 03:25
This seems like a good place to ask, i really want to play a giant and i know they can be used in most armies but i can't find the rules to actually run one. I'm not asking for free rules but i just want to know where the rules are for it? If its Dogs of war i'm not seeing giant rules in the download that was on GW's site.

I was wondering that too - as I thought only Ogres, Orcs, and Beastman had giants. But I read a "making bases for your giant" article on the GW site - they made bases for tomb kings, skaven, etc.

willowdark
10-09-2009, 03:36
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/476WGG/giant.jpg

Voila, not the best pic. But is a really sweet model I mostly use him if i field a giant( I have 4 other giants so choices enough:p)

Greetz

Why would anyone prefer that model to the current plastic kit? I'm sorry, but that model is BALLS.

That paint job is nice, but short, pants-less tunics are about the worst thing in fantasy. And his exaggerated, cartoonish features in general really put a strain on my suspension of disbelief.

The current kit has some exaggerated features of its own, but they're more in line with the dark imagery of Warhammer. The Giant has a twisted, beast like appearance that really helps to flesh it out on the table. And it makes the overtly comical bits like beer kegs and body bags and squashed goblins more organic, and therefore more effective.

I think it's a great kit.

kaubin
10-09-2009, 03:40
I was wondering that too - as I thought only Ogres, Orcs, and Beastman had giants. But I read a "making bases for your giant" article on the GW site - they made bases for tomb kings, skaven, etc.

Not sure about skaven but the tomb kings do have a bone giant as well.

Catferret
10-09-2009, 04:01
The White Dwarf at the time the plastic Giant was released had an article with the full stats, rules and costs for the giant as a Dogs of War unit. I can't remember the full list of races that could hire it but it included Vampires. My mate even painted his Giant up as a goth to fit with his Vampire army. :D

Hiportes
10-09-2009, 04:07
The Giant is probably my favorite kit in the GW range. Probably explains why I have one for my Chaos Warriors (4 arms), one for my Ogres (dumbed down with chains and scars), and one for my Orcs (with the Black Orc head standard top as his face). They all turned out really well, considering I'm not the best modeler. Thumbs up to GW for their recent plastic kits. Here's hoping they don't all jump up in price like the steam tank.

Did have some great battles againt the Gobbos and their Marauder gaint back in the day tho...

Keller
10-09-2009, 13:31
but short, pants-less tunics are about the worst thing in fantasy. That garb is actually somewhat accurate of clothing worn by real armies of various time frames reflected in WHFB. Check out some of the historical lines to see what I mean. All in all, I don't particularly mind it, since its easy to paint, though I prefer them in massed-units where the individual detail doesn't stand out.

Either way, I still hate the new lanky giant model. I'll stick with my $10 reaper models.

Condottiere
10-09-2009, 13:41
There's a reason for short pantless tunics because prevailing battlefield conditions - diarrhoea.

Azethel
10-09-2009, 14:15
I detest the new plastic giant. Im sure the kit is well made and there is a great deal of modelling options, however I cannot get over the ugly distended belly and lanky proportions of the model. I know there is meant to be a certain level of lankyness but it just goes over the top and makes it look goofy instead of intimidating.

I have plans on making either a stone construct (giant golem) or metal construct (chaos dwarf metal golem) to use as my giant instead (WOC). Barring that there was a really cool looking daemon model from an alternate range which had peeling skin and what not. It looked like it could be a really cool giant, cannot find the link atm though.

Tokamak
10-09-2009, 14:36
I detest the new plastic giant. Im sure the kit is well made and there is a great deal of modelling options, however I cannot get over the ugly distended belly and lanky proportions of the model. I know there is meant to be a certain level of lankyness but it just goes over the top and makes it look goofy instead of intimidating.

Well only the O&G really looks goofy. No, the lankyness is exactly what makes the giant looks so incredible. Instead of just having a big human model standing in between your army you actually have something that looks like a different race of gigantic humanoids. Awesome.

Sleazy
10-09-2009, 14:47
How big is that marauder giant compared to the others? Is there a reference picture somewhere?

heres a pic snaffled from chaos dwarfs online.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/Border_Reiver/PIC_0060.jpg

Seabo
10-09-2009, 14:50
I love the giant. Have 1 currently for my BoC army with the hooves and the chaos head converted with a boars head to tie it in. Planning on grabbing a 2nd one as they are way more effective then the woefully outdated rules in the army book for the Shaggoth...
Btw Mutant Monstrosity is the bomb :D

willowdark
10-09-2009, 20:42
That garb is actually somewhat accurate of clothing worn by real armies of various time frames reflected in WHFB. Check out some of the historical lines to see what I mean. All in all, I don't particularly mind it, since its easy to paint, though I prefer them in massed-units where the individual detail doesn't stand out.

Either way, I still hate the new lanky giant model. I'll stick with my $10 reaper models.

The common tunic of the Roman, Dark and Middle ages was little more than a heavy linen or wool sheet, sown together at the sides with a neck hole, laces and sleeves. They hung heavily and when belted could be expected to reach at least half way to the knees.

That Giant's outfit is cartoon tomfoolery. It is in no way indicative of the standard issue soldier's gear or the commonly worn peasant fashion. In fact, the sculptor appears to be confused about the Giant's economic condition. The stitch is apparently very fine and the suite is well tailored to fit and the buttons are to the side. Someone who could afford that kind of quality surely could've afforded breeches.

I'm sorry. That model seems to have a long line of support on this thread. I personally find it difficult to take seriously. I think the current Giant is much more plausible, as well as visually more appealing.

eyescrossed
10-09-2009, 22:40
The common tunic of the Roman, Dark and Middle ages was little more than a heavy linen or wool sheet, sown together at the sides with a neck hole, laces and sleeves. They hung heavily and when belted could be expected to reach at least half way to the knees.

That Giant's outfit is cartoon tomfoolery. It is in no way indicative of the standard issue soldier's gear or the commonly worn peasant fashion. In fact, the sculptor appears to be confused about the Giant's economic condition. The stitch is apparently very fine and the suite is well tailored to fit and the buttons are to the side. Someone who could afford that kind of quality surely could've afforded breeches.

I'm sorry. That model seems to have a long line of support on this thread. I personally find it difficult to take seriously. I think the current Giant is much more plausible, as well as visually more appealing.
Agreed, definitely.

Grimthug
10-09-2009, 23:01
I'm not a fan of the plastic giant but we can thank it for being the test model that GW used for much of the large kit production techniques we see today.

For my Orcs i wanted a Giant that was more "linked" to the O&G. I was able to obtain one of the old FW Stone Trolls. They where made as a display piece and with some conversions (made by a friend of mine who is much better at sculpting) my boyz have a HUGE giant troll. I will try to put up a pic tomorrow.

Grimthug

Tokamak
10-09-2009, 23:33
heres a pic snaffled from chaos dwarfs online.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/Border_Reiver/PIC_0060.jpg

Awesome! Really helpful.

I have to say that the plastic giant really fits the 28mm scale much better than the Marauder one though.

Sureshot05
11-09-2009, 00:54
I just can't bring myself to like it. White Dwarf 316 killed the kit for me and whenever i see it, i think of the very poor issue of WD that it came out with. Sadly for me it has tainted it so badly that i could never see it in my goblin army, nor my Empire army.

willowdark
11-09-2009, 01:19
I think the Marauder Giant vs the current plastic kit is a very clear example of a paradigm shift at GW. The most current range of models, as well as every new release, have moved along a very straight path away from the cartoonish and towards the organic.

I for one am grateful.

Condottiere
11-09-2009, 08:19
While I know some players replace their collections with more inspiring miniatures, I find the older cartoonish figures amusing.

Tokamak
11-09-2009, 10:13
Yeah but combined it just doesn't work. I love those purist armies made by collectors only consisting of old miniatures. But combined it just doesn't really work.

If there's one thing I really care about in this hobby then it's coherence across the entire army.

Cacodemon
11-09-2009, 10:22
I have always wondered why most of the people like the old Marauder Giant. Even when it came out I hated the way it looks with it's unibrow and pantless tunic.

My giant is the late 90's metal giant.

Condottiere
11-09-2009, 10:41
I think I'd field them more to annoy my opponent.

Deglosh
12-09-2009, 00:28
First time i used my giant today. Not an epic fail but he couldve done better. He ended up being charged by 5 Chaos warhouds taht passed the terror test. Got 1 wound on me from poisonouse attacks, and rolled a 6 to wound him a 2nd time. Then i smashed them with his club .P heheheh overran into nothingness and then he wondered around the enemies right flank and got his life ended by the first spell in the Lore of Tzeench (whatever :P hehe) and then a hit from his hellcannon :P so i he coudve done more but yeah, hehe :D hes always fun to use (though iut was my FIRST time) didnt rly know what he "could achieve"

thechosenone
12-09-2009, 01:15
So i'm looking at the dogs of war PDF and its not there, no giant rules. Is it in a White Dwarf, which one so i can hunt it down?

Random Person
12-09-2009, 04:20
I've got it.

thechosenone
12-09-2009, 06:45
thank you wonder man!

OrlyggJafnakol
12-09-2009, 07:41
Special Rules list from GW site: Large Target; Terror; Stubborn; Longshanks; Fall Over; Giant Special Attacks.

Am I just being peculiar but where is the 'longshanks' rule for giants?

Darth Alec
12-09-2009, 08:25
It's under the "Move" section between "Ignore little 'un panic" and "Fall over".

It just got a special name in the meanwhile.

Lewis
12-09-2009, 08:38
As a BoC player I really appreciate the horned hooved option on the plastic kit. I'm not too keen on the other set ups but from a chaos point of view the kit is the first giant actually to look chaotic.

Deglosh
14-09-2009, 14:36
As a BoC player I really appreciate the horned hooved option on the plastic kit. I'm not too keen on the other set ups but from a chaos point of view the kit is the first giant actually to look chaotic.

Indeed! =)

Roark
15-09-2009, 06:33
Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and everyone has different tastes, but... that Marauder giant... Talk about cartoonish...

I reckon the current plastic giant is anatomically brilliant. Nice big paunch. Jutting lower jaw. Good proportions and lines. The cow attachment is tres cool too!