PDA

View Full Version : 'Ard boys vampire counts.

Chaseyboy1er
08-09-2009, 19:13
so i've made a list that is to me very competitive. How does it look?

count manfred, skull staff, book of arhkan, barded nightmare
vampire lord, lv 3, red fury, master of the black arts, Dread lance, accursed armour, black periapt, dragon

vampire, dark acolyte, avatar of death(shield), battle standard, drakenhof banner
vampire, avatar of death(great weapon), walking death, Walach's bloody hauberk, biting blade
vampire, dark acoylte, lord of the dead, Flayed hauberk, tomb blade

10 skeletons, command, icon of vengeance
10 skeletons, command, standard of everlasting death
10 skeletons, command
10 skeletons, command
9 dire wolves, doom wolf

19 grave guard, command, royal standard of strigos

3 wraiths

points-2995
power dice-18
dispel dice-9
models-77

so my initial plan is to have manfred being the general and stick him in the dire wolves for somewhat protection. now the skeletons with the icon of vengeance sit back and take a corner. the other skeleton unit with magical banner goes with the vampire that can raise them past starting unit size. and the other two vampires go in with the grave guard for my death star.
how does it look?

Jack Shrapnel
09-09-2009, 13:56
My initial thoughts would be that you are a little character heavy and troop light... I'd be worried about being outmanouvered... and since you have no hammers to speak of, (three wraiths are not hard enough in my opinion to be a hammer at this point level). Your magic phase should be pretty solid, however if someone can shut that down, I'd be concerned about what's left.... those grave guard are gonna be one tough nut to crack though....

So why put mannfred in with the wolves? that's 9 T3 no armor save shots away from exposed general and having this army seriously crippled (you'd lose a bound, six PD, the staff and your general in one fell swoop). I'd save the dogs to go with the doom wolf to try and trap that stardragon you know is going to be there.... I'd put mannfred in with the grave guard... much more protection...

And how does your Lvl 3 vamp lord carry the dreadlance? Don't see a mount there.... : )

Witchblade
09-09-2009, 15:05
Your core troops are way too small and you have no hammers, I'd say.

Chaseyboy1er
09-09-2009, 15:15
sorry, i forgot to say that he's on a dragon. it just slipped my mind. and the hounds worked for me before, because with my extra dice, i would just raise them past their starting value with manfred. and the skeletons get raised all game.

Izram
09-09-2009, 15:42
On first glance, it appears as though only 2 of your characters can raise those skellies past 10? It just seems to be a very small army, with no meat to survive a gunline. I wouldn't be surprised to see armies with 20 power dice at ardboys, so you can't garuntee on shutting down enemy magic/shooting, It is very easy to lose an entire unit of skeletons to a single round of shooting.

The deathstar isn't extremely scary either, at such a high point level. I have faced the gravegaurd deathstar before in much smaller games and it is not as nasty as it seems on paper.

Ard boys competitors are going to come in expecting huge magic, so all armies will have a decent anti-magic. Maybe not enough to shut you down, but enough that you have to expect to rely on fighting to win games. Apart from the dragon, i would march rank and file guys up against pretty much anything in that army.

I don't know exaclt yhow to go about tweaking this list; but it is best to think about your opponents in ard boys, and not just think about what works really well in 2250-2500 point games. Expect double bloodthirster and 6 stegadon and double dragon and 25 PD armies. You are pretty likely to run into a strong-gimmick and you don't want to be caught with only a couple skeletons and your characters to pull you through.

Chaseyboy1er
09-09-2009, 20:40
well, the "meat" to protect my army will be raised by casting raise dead and summon undead horde. and then be raised by all of my casters. then all of the left over dice will most likely be thrown at skeletons and hounds by manfred and the casting vampire in skeletons.

Nathangonmad
09-09-2009, 22:12
well, the "meat" to protect my army will be raised by casting raise dead and summon undead horde. and then be raised by all of my casters. then all of the left over dice will most likely be thrown at skeletons and hounds by manfred and the casting vampire in skeletons.

To be honest this won't work at ard boyz, imagain you come up against karios lists those skeleton units won't ever get to a decent size.

Chaseyboy1er
09-09-2009, 23:58
well, then the dragon will get a first turn charge and mangle anything in said daemon army.

Nathangonmad
10-09-2009, 07:06
What? Dragon charges in kills maybe one unit then he should be taken off as soon as the fate weaver turns to him. Hes only got T6 W3 and a 5+ save. If a good bolt of change gets off on him hes dead. Imagain fate weaver casting, bolt of change, burning gaze, flickering fire and many other damaging spells the fateweaver has. Trust me he WILL be able to kill that dragon. Or imagain your playing against a guy whos taken a keeper with siren. He can Siren your dragon into the keeper and promptly kill your vampire lord. 7 attacks hitting on 3s wounding on 4s re rerolling.

Jack Shrapnel
10-09-2009, 20:26
I personally would not take a zombie dragon to Ard Boyz... it's difficult enough keeping a ZD alive in 2k, never mind 3k!!!!

I think this would be a liability for your list... use the points to bulk up your skeletons or add a decent hammer... just my two cents of course, I've just never had much luck with the zombie dragon....

Maoriboy007
10-09-2009, 20:29
What? Dragon charges in kills maybe one unit then he should be taken off as soon as the fate weaver turns to him. Hes only got T6 W3 and a 5+ save. If a good bolt of change gets off on him hes dead. Imagain fate weaver casting, bolt of change, burning gaze, flickering fire and many other damaging spells the fateweaver has. Trust me he WILL be able to kill that dragon. Or imagain your playing against a guy whos taken a keeper with siren. He can Siren your dragon into the keeper and promptly kill your vampire lord. 7 attacks hitting on 3s wounding on 4s re rerolling.

Just in case you weren't sure how crappy a zombie dragon is, he's only T 5 not T 6.

Chaseyboy1er
10-09-2009, 20:37
well, i think a vampire lord on top with auto hitting strength 7 on the charge who gets additional attacks which auto hit at strength seven again. and he has 5 dice to res him and the dragon.

cwang733t
10-09-2009, 22:18
vampire lord, lv 3, red fury, master of the black arts, Dread lance, accursed armour, black periapt, dragon
- I have to say that the best I've seen him in is in a unit of black knights. I would tone him down (Nightmare, Dreadlance, Cadaverous Cuirass, Gem of Blood, Red Fury, Walking Death) and put him in a block of 5 black knights and go to town.
Dont give him the dreadknight because then he will only move 14 (7) and will slow the black knights down. You can drop the wraiths and give the knights the +1 to hit banner.

knauden
11-09-2009, 00:33
Drop the dragon and put him on a nightmare, as Jack Shrapnel said.. very hard to keep him alive in 3k, Too much missiles in the air :)

Chaseyboy1er
11-09-2009, 18:15
well, i thinking that it'll be quite easy to keep him a live, because i do it every 3k compettitive game i play. he only died once to a miscast due to the ring and infernal puppet in a doubles tournament

Zarroc
11-09-2009, 20:55
This list is weak, and at tournament level, you will get pwned badly

Its not even balance, way to many core choices, its slow, wheres the black knights/blood knights/vargluf??

well, i think a vampire lord on top with auto hitting strength 7 on the charge who gets additional attacks which auto hit at strength seven again. and he has 5 dice to res him and the dragon.

Used this before, lol, against anything immune to psy it fails, sure you kill alot, but thats it, your suck in combat and charged in the flank or rear

I took it for fun against tomb kings, a friendly game, but your going to a tournament, its much different

Chaseyboy1er
11-09-2009, 21:56
how is there too many core choices? there's 5, and one doesn't count towards core? that doesn't seem like too much, that's about average, except for high elves.

Zarroc
11-09-2009, 22:23
True forget about the 3000 point limit lol

Other then the lord on dragon and your dire wolves, you have no other fast units, your flanks will be exposed, mannfred and your other lord are sitting ducks (would take less then a turn of shooting the dire wolves to remove them all) regardless of if you can raise them back, dire wolves only get 1 model at a time back per IoN

1 unit of knights on your flank or even fast cav will cause your units a world of pain.................

Serousily reconsider writing your list for this tournament