PDA

View Full Version : Are the old 'crapy' skaven good?

Malorian
08-09-2009, 22:16
I was just wondering how many people where planning to use the old clan rats as slaves once the new models come out.

People complain about their look but that would seem fitting for a bunch of slaves. Plus I'm sure the old boxes will be going for cheap once the new ones come out.

Eh?

Classical Mushroom
08-09-2009, 22:30
That's my plan I'm sure a lot of other players out there will be doing the same. Also going to cut about half their tails off so they can rank up nicely and look a little bit more slavish :)

loveless
08-09-2009, 22:43
Nope. Probably going to use the new models if I can distinguish them enough from each other (without only using certain bodies here and there), or make some slaves out of other races for funzies.

I really don't like the monkey-rats.

Ultimate Life Form
08-09-2009, 23:10
That was basically my plan from the beginning.

Bregalad
09-09-2009, 00:02
No monkeys in my army. But having the batallion, I will combine monk and old clan rat bitz to alternative clan rats. For slaves, I have nice non-GW, non-Skaven alternatives like Gnoblars, Reaper Blood Gnomes etc.

SlaaneshSlave
09-09-2009, 01:50
depends... I have 8 blocks of the monkeys now (4 painted as slaves & 4 as clanrats).

If I can make a list with 180 Slaves, then probably yes.

Deus Mechanicus
09-09-2009, 01:53
If skaven were the fantasy army i'd start with i would stay away from the Monkey Rats, so a no for me :)

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
09-09-2009, 01:56
Unfortunately they look so bad it makes me want to never paint or assemble miniatures again.

I'll sell you the ones I have for a song!

ZeroTwentythree
09-09-2009, 03:10
I'm going to slowly replace my monkies with new clanrts. But the old monkies will stay in storage for those times I need to be able to field an 8000 point army or something absurd like that.

:evilgrin:

artyboy
09-09-2009, 03:22
The old clanrats are bigger aren't they? What would make them convincing slaves? I'd just sell your old rats to cheap asses like me who don't care what the models look like as long as they can play with them. Use that money to buy the new ones.

therat
09-09-2009, 03:30
I'll have to see what they look like alongside the new clanrats. I already got rid of all my clans, but I did keep my slaves just in case. We'll see!

Angelust
09-09-2009, 06:27
"Fly me to the moon, and let me play among those stars..."

Clanrats please? :-)

But seriously, I plan on using what I have, because I can't afford to buy all new clan-rats when I have 100 perfectly good(?) Clanrats already lying around. I was actually thinking of getting a box of new clan rats and using them as my front rank of models in each of my clan rat units. That way, the majority of the unit can look monkey-ish, but the front rank looks lethal! Very Skaveny in my opinion...

mrtn
09-09-2009, 09:59
When I started skaven a year ago I already knew that the monkeys look bad, so I bought monopose 4th ed clanrats instead. So I have ~75 of those, and just a few monkeys, mostly unpainted. I've used some of the parts with plague monk arms to get good hands on them, but they're still a minority in the army. For slaves I mostly use BfSP gobbos.
I will buy some new ones, and check how the new heads and arms fit the old bodies.

orkz222
10-09-2009, 01:44
My monkeys will be downgraded to slaves. ALL of them!

Zarroc
10-09-2009, 01:53
My monkey rats will be put into a box and left in the garage, i am going to replace all of them

KidDiscordia
10-09-2009, 04:16
I will continue to use my clanrats as clanrats since I see no reason to change. I have 60 plastic ones, 40 metal ones and 80 metal slaves.

Vermin-thing
14-09-2009, 02:46
Well seeing as I spent 10 hours (over 9000) building my 4 blocks of them I think I'll just use them as cannon fodder. Right now I have 60 slaves which 20 are unassembled, 60 plague monks, and 40 clanrats. I'v got 4 giant rats, and a pack master in the back of most of the units as my army is clan moulder themed. I'd like to use my third block of plague monks but in order to do that I'd have to build up the unassembled slaves into clanrats which I really don't want to do. Well reguardless I might just demote all of them into true giant rats. :D I plan on getting 100 slaves, 100 clanrats, and 40 storm vermin as soon as the book comes out.

w3rm
14-09-2009, 20:47
It's weird. I actually LIKE the monkey rats. I'll just buy boxes of monkeys online for cheap. Monkey rats rule! *skitters away before things get thrown at me*

Wolfmother
14-09-2009, 20:51
well seein as i built 90 of the 9 part models yer gonna use the old ones plus i bet games workshop will put the new ones 10 for 12 which will be outragious prices :D

Lewis
14-09-2009, 20:53
If people have still sprued monkey-rats i might be able to take them off your hands prior to the new boys. I have a feeling the new ones won't convert up to space-skaven (scaven: like orks and orcs, geddit?) so effectively.

loveless
14-09-2009, 20:54
well seein as i built 90 of the 9 part models yer gonna use the old ones plus i bet games workshop will put the new ones 10 for 12 which will be outragious prices :D

New ones are boxes of 20 for $40 supposedly - not sure what that is in pounds...less than 2 of the newer 10-man boxes in other armies.

Spleendokta
15-09-2009, 01:22
No monkies for me. I have about 100+ metal slaves/clanners that ill use as slaves.

Ive been wanting to do a skaven force for along time, i just couldnt stand painting/building the ***** clan rats. The new ones look amazing imho.

Nocculum
15-09-2009, 01:45
I for one won't be using the new clanrats, perhaps, just perhaps, I'll try a box out for converting chieftains or adding to Pestilens units, but I'm rather fond of the current models, having used them from the start.

The tails require some forethought when assembling, sure, but I'm very particular about that anyway.

Easy solution to both problems of course, is to use Plaguemonks through out, but then you're left with a static army.

Grontik
15-09-2009, 17:00
I was thinking about this very thing as I was driving into work this morning. I bought the battalion a couple of weeks ago and I don't really have a problem with the monkey rats other than one of their feet seems to be lacking any detail. I am just starting a Skaven army so I am waiting for the book to come out before doling out the cash but I would be curious as to how much of an army should be made up of slaves anyways? I may go get some of the metal Stormvermin as I believe they are releasing a plastic kit with this release and I like variety in my units. Gonna be a fun army though ... really looking forward to it.

Ultimate Life Form
15-09-2009, 17:28
I don't really have a problem with the monkey rats other than one of their feet seems to be lacking any detail.

Oh, you noticed, too?:p

I thought it would look weird, but my paintjob seems to alleviate the problem, making it look like an actual foot.

Ward.
15-09-2009, 17:45
I've always had a soft spot for the pit-bull rats, so I'll be sticking with the current ones.

The eighties henchmen look to them just gets me.

Col. Tartleton
15-09-2009, 20:40
I remember thinking that compared to the plague monks they were great models with the exception of their foot...

Then the new plague monks came out and I was like "damn homie."

Then I looked at the old models and said "good thing I painted you poorly, I'll miss you less when the new models come out."

The fact I only had a small number of clan rats is an advantage presuming I decide to pick up the new ones are refresh the army.

HunterSkunter
16-09-2009, 00:44
I think its funny that I never really saw much complaining about "monkey-rats" until the new skaven images started showing up.

mrtn
16-09-2009, 00:50
You can't have looked very much then.

Ward.
16-09-2009, 05:46
I think its funny that I never really saw much complaining about "monkey-rats" until the new skaven images started showing up.

I also find that quite humerous.

Grontik
16-09-2009, 16:20
Oh, you noticed, too?:p

I thought it would look weird, but my paintjob seems to alleviate the problem, making it look like an actual foot.

Well I have been doing a little carving with the Exacto knife while cleaning off the mould lines so they should be okay once I start slapping the paint on.

My biggest concern is what the bulk of a Skaven army should be. The Slave metal models don't look much different than the current clanrats (monkey looking) but with slings maybe. And from what I remember of the rumors they are losing the slings. I'm also assuming that slaves can't get spears so I put all the monkey clanrats with handweapons and no shields so I should be good. Pick up some of the slave models just to mix it up, maybe even put some other races in there if I get the time. How many units of slaves do people generally field?