PDA

View Full Version : Look out Sir! Clarification

zeekill
08-09-2009, 23:39
So i have had trouble understanding exactly when a look out sir roll can be made. Against things like cannon balls sure, but what about spells like Wall of Fire? If there is a character in the front rank can my opponent make a Look Out Sir?

Also add in any questions you have about Look Out Sir and Im sure people will answer them.

T10
09-09-2009, 09:43
The rule applies when the character is hit by any template weapon. This includes the small round template, the large round template, the tear-drop template, the fallen giant template and lines. An example of a weapon that uses the latter is the cannon.

-T10

Deglosh
09-09-2009, 10:08
indeed, and in all other cases the unit takes the hits, not the char.
If there isnt something special about some spells ofc, that specifically says something about the char.

Necromancy Black
09-09-2009, 10:10
Cannon lines aren't exactly templates, as they don't hit every model they touch and never have to roll partials.

Doesn't the rule say that anything that doesn't use the normal shooting rules/targeting rules causes Look Out Sir? Pretty sure it also specifically mentions cannons as well.

Atrahasis
09-09-2009, 12:06
The rule applies when the character is hit by any template weapon. This includes the small round template, the large round template, the tear-drop template, the fallen giant template and lines. An example of a weapon that uses the latter is the cannon.No.

It applies to war machines that don't use BS, and other ranged attacks that use a template.

"Lines" are not templates. Burning Head, for example, does not allow LOS!, as it is not a war machine that does not use BS, and is not a ranged attack that uses a template.

dragonlancr
10-09-2009, 13:28
Ok, so does that mean a character cannot use 'Look out Sir' on a bolt-thrower attack?

It doesn't use a template and uses BS.

Thanks

theunwantedbeing
10-09-2009, 13:38
Ok, so does that mean a character cannot use 'Look out Sir' on a bolt-thrower attack?

It doesn't use a template and uses BS.

Just read page 74 to 75 under the rules for "Look Out, Sir!" please.

Necromancy Black
10-09-2009, 15:28
Also, read the rules for Bolt Throwers, it mentions hits against units with characters in them.

Deglosh
12-09-2009, 00:01
so if a unit is hit by the "flaming skull" spell from the Lore of fire, would that trigger a look out sir! aswell?

Nurgling Chieftain
12-09-2009, 00:23
I play they do on account of the line of hits being treated like a cannonball and cannonballs granting LOSir rolls. However, cannons grant LOSir by dint of being warmachines that don't roll to hit, so it's easy to argue that the fire spell, not being a warmachine, does not grant a LOSir roll. (Others argue that it's a de facto template, but I'm not convinced that's a strong argument.)

Foxbat
12-09-2009, 01:28
I play they do on account of the line of hits being treated like a cannonball and cannonballs granting LOSir rolls. However, cannons grant LOSir by dint of being warmachines that don't roll to hit, so it's easy to argue that the fire spell, not being a warmachine, does not grant a LOSir roll. (Others argue that it's a de facto template, but I'm not convinced that's a strong argument.)
Reading over the “Look Out, Sir” rule (BRB pgs 74 and 75), its clear that this rule only applies to magic spells that use a template. Reading over the Burning Head spell, it’s clear that this spell does not require the placement of one of the three official ranged attack WHFB templates (see BRB pg 1 for the 3 WHFB templates) to establish the effect of the spell.

Given the above, I don’t think that a Character or Unit Champion, which happened to be in the direction selected for the Burning Head spell, would be able to benefit from the Look Out Sir rule.

Nurgling Chieftain
12-09-2009, 01:35
I said it was easy to argue that. :D

Atrahasis
12-09-2009, 12:15
so if a unit is hit by the "flaming skull" spell from the Lore of fire, would that trigger a look out sir! aswell?

It applies to war machines that don't use BS, and other ranged attacks that use a template.

"Lines" are not templates. Burning Head, for example, does not allow LOS!, as it is not a war machine that does not use BS, and is not a ranged attack that uses a template.

Reading the thread is considered good etiquette before "contributing".

Foxbat
12-09-2009, 14:43
Reading the thread is considered good etiquette before "contributing".

And, building on this point, when contributing, providing a sufficient number of references from the BRB or applicable Army Book so that others can follow and validate one’s position. :)