PDA

View Full Version : 3k Night Goblins for 'Ard Boyz... stop laughing...

minionboy
08-09-2009, 23:22
Okay, so after you've wiped tears of laughter away from your eyes at the site of this subject, take a look at the list I've put together.

LORDS
Skarsnik
Night Goblin Great Shaman: Level 4, Staff of Baduum, Nibblas ‘Itty Ring

HEROES
Night Goblin Shaman: Level 2, Staff of Sneaky Stealin’
Night Goblin Shaman: Level 2, 2 Dispel Scrolls
Night Goblin Big Boss: Battle Standard Bearer, Rowdy Grott’s big red raggedy banner, Light Armor

CORE
29 Night Goblins (with Skarsnik): Hand Weapons, Shields, Netters, 3 Fanatics, Full Command
29 Night Goblins (with Great Shaman): Hand Weapons, Shields, Netters, 3 Fanatics, Full Command
29 Night Goblins (with BSB): Hand Weapons, Shields, Netters, 3 Fanatics, Full Command
20 Night Goblins: Short Bows, Musician, 2 Fanatics
5 Forest Goblin Spider Riders: Bows, Musician

SPECIAL
7 Squig Hoppers
5 Squig Herds (15 Squigs, 10 Goblins)
2 Goblin Spear Chuckas
2 Goblin Spear Chuckas
1 Goblin Rock Lobba

RARE
1 Giant
1 Giant

Total: 2999
Power Dice: 10
Dispel Dice: 7 + 2 Scrolls
Models: 221

The general idea was to have a multi-prong approach to the fight. Plenty of artillery and ranged to soften the enemy, harassment in the form of squigs, spider riders and hoppers. Then lastly hard hitting giants.

What ya think?

Stuffburger
09-09-2009, 01:41
If you're going for strictly competitive it might be best to lose the giants and squigs and go for even more fanatics and artillery. Completely forget any kind of offense and make an untouchable wall of guns and fanatics.

samick
09-09-2009, 01:57
I agree with dropping the giants if you are going for 'ard boyz quality. Filling up all special slots with bolt throwers and all rare slots with doom divers you will find yourself with 13 pieces of artillery and a wall of fanatic goodness to protect them. That combined with the annoying power of skarsnik and the magic potential of the waaagh! it should shape up to be quite an annoying list.

Time of Madness
09-09-2009, 03:12
I wouldn't go as extreme as the above posters. But dropping the giants in favour of 2 doom divers is a good idea.

I'd also look at getting one more level 2 shaman with the horn bound item for +1 LD. Or alternatively a night goblin hero on giant squig with the pipes of doom.

Looks like fun!
Time of Madness

Kalec
09-09-2009, 04:33
Drop the giants, get some doom divers, 3 or 4 more spear chuckas, and a couple more shamans.

Deglosh
09-09-2009, 09:12
crazy list =)
but yeah, go for only night gobbo units with nets and fanatics, then keep the shamans and get more artillery. MAN i wanna battle against that list xD

Nathangonmad
09-09-2009, 10:29
I agree with above posters I think a goblin gunline is the only way to go.

Magx
09-09-2009, 15:36
I agree with dropping the giants if you are going for 'ard boyz quality. Filling up all special slots with bolt throwers and all rare slots with doom divers you will find yourself with 13 pieces of artillery and a wall of fanatic goodness to protect them. That combined with the annoying power of skarsnik and the magic potential of the waaagh! it should shape up to be quite an annoying list.

No Magic potential of the Waagh with an army of goblins... they can't do the waagghh spell, they don't get the extra dice (special ability of the army) and for the "normal" Waaagh" they only get + 1 to their roll (better than nothing though)

Herod
09-09-2009, 15:53
I think at least one giant is a good idea (and I might keep both, but go 6 chukkas).

If something gets into the backfield (and it usually does) the giants can tie it up.

H

Jind_Singh
09-09-2009, 16:32
Okay, so after you've wiped tears of laughter away from your eyes at the site of this subject, take a look at the list I've put together.Whats to laugh about? We Stunted Greenskins are Gods walking amongst mortals!!!

LORDS
Skarsnik
Night Goblin Great Shaman: Level 4, Staff of Baduum, Nibblas ‘Itty Ring

HEROES
Night Goblin Big Boss: Battle Standard Bearer, Rowdy Grott’s big red raggedy banner, Light Armor
Love the heros/lords but food for thought, a few more bound items will help put magic offensive in your army. Get some mean ones that the enemy has no choice but to dispell, use them all up at the start of the phase, and then when you done that hit him with Gobbo spells, a lot of people dont rate the little Waagh spells but they actually favour a gunline gobbo horde!
CORE
29 Night Goblins (with Skarsnik): Hand Weapons, Shields, Netters, 3 Fanatics, Full Command
29 Night Goblins (with Great Shaman): Hand Weapons, Shields, Netters, 3 Fanatics, Full Command
29 Night Goblins (with BSB): Hand Weapons, Shields, Netters, 3 Fanatics, Full Command
i would consider dropping 1 fanatic from each unit - I used to run 3 per unit but what I found was it increased the chances of them running into each other, killling each other, were my intent is for fanatics to just whirl around in front my lines for as long as possible - to stop people charging me and give me time to shoot.
love the above 7 units!
SPECIAL
7 Squig Hoppersneed more units! These guys are amazing!
2 Goblin Spear Chuckas
2 Goblin Spear Chuckas
1 Goblin Rock Lobba

RARE
1 Giant
1 Giant

Total: 2999
Power Dice: 10
Dispel Dice: 7 + 2 Scrolls
Models: 221

The general idea was to have a multi-prong approach to the fight. Plenty of artillery sorry son, have to disagree. I just own 2 spear chuckas and a rock lobba and that is not plenty of artillary! Plenty of artillary is the above PLUS 1 or 2 Doomdivers, and 1 more rocklobba!! Now thats artillary! Throw in some spear chuckas and now we're cooking!and ranged to soften the enemy, harassment in the form of squigs, spider riders and hoppers. Then lastly hard hitting giants.

What ya think?

It can work - but you have to be carefull in how you deploy the army.
I prefer a checker board deployment with units arranged in 2 battle lines, 1 is about 7 inches behind the other. THis way the enemy advances to my front line - fanatics are unleashed. He then spends time killing them/waiting for them to die while I throw rocks/spears/spells at them.
Then the 1st line either dies/runs away and the 2nd line moves up to unleash their fanatics......
RISK FACTOR - terrible dice rolling could see units panic each other - but with your BSB and Skarsnicks leadership you might live to fight another day!
GIANTS - the problem here is do you want more artillary or do you want giants? They aint bad - the fact that they are ld 10 means they can sit on your flanks - WAAAAY away from the leadership bubble of the general that night gobs need so bad, and perfom independantly - and they hit hard when attacking a units flank - which they can as they have a 12" charge....
They also soak up spells/missles/artiallary shots as people are scared of giants- BUT even dropping ONE giant allows you to get another 3 warmachines!!!
Its your call, and it will also be determined by your model collection as O & G artiallry is not cheap to purchase from a store!
But good overall concept = heres to your many wins on the battlefield!

minionboy
09-09-2009, 17:44
Haha, well the general consensus seems to be that I need more than 5 special choices. :(

I've put together what people have said and adjusted my list a bit:

LORDS
Skarsnik
Night Goblin Great Shaman: Level 4, Staff of Sorcery, Nibblas ‘Itty Ring, 1x Magic Mushroom

HEROES
Night Goblin Shaman: Level 2, Horn of Urgock

CORE
29 Night Goblins (with level 4 Shaman): Hand Weapons, Shields, Netters, 1 Fanatic, Full Command
30 Night Goblins: Hand Weapons, Shields, Netters, 1 Fanatic, Full Command
20 Night Goblins: Short Bows, Musician

SPECIAL
7 Squig Hoppers
2 Goblin Spear Chuckas
2 Goblin Spear Chuckas
1 Goblin Rock Lobba

RARE
1 Goblin Doom Diver
1 Goblin Doom Diver
1 Goblin Doom Diver

Total: 3000
Power Dice: 12
Dispel Dice: 8 + 2 Scrolls + Staff
Models: 264

Time of Madness
09-09-2009, 19:12
You can spend the extra few points bringing the squig hoppers up to 10 strong. Or you could always give a magic mushroom to your horn carrying shaman.
Time of Madness

Kalec
09-09-2009, 21:59
I'm not sure what the archer blocks are supposed to accomplish. They aren't going to hold anything up, they aren't going to kill anything, and they aren't free. Wolf and Spider riders have the benefit of being fast cav, which will help slow the enemy down and protect your mages and warmachines far longer then the 3 extra archer blocks will. 7 or 8 units of fast cav should be enough, and will free up points for other stuff to actually kill the enemy.

minionboy
09-09-2009, 23:28
The idea for the archers was to screen my army, redirect charges and align chargers to expose their flanks. At only 64 points per unit, I'm not expecting miracles though. Since my Heroes, Special and Rare are all capped, all I have left are core units. I could drop them for more spider riders I suppose.

Don't forget that I can also flee, reform and shoot again thanks to Skarsnik's Tricksy Traps.