PDA

View Full Version : WOC or VC?

smokingmonkee
09-09-2009, 01:19
I am debating starting either a Warriors of Chaos army or a Vampire counts army. Gameplay both intrigue me, but I'm looking for some modelling fun. If I do VC I was thinking going a mix of races for my troops instead of everything being human. As for Chaos I have no idea which direction to go. I would like something competitive but not overpowering, but also just fun for me to paint and build. I'd love advice on conversions or models to use if I go VC, and just general stuff about both I guess.

Cheers.

slayerofmen
09-09-2009, 05:40
well the playing VC (even if you've played them since 5th like me) instantly put you into the OP OTT crowd even if you take all zombies and naked characters, but they are cool and allow alot of different modeling opportunities.

with both armies its not a question of what direction should you go in but what direction you cant go in

modeling opportunities include: the much done but always awesome theme of undead empire or bretention lord leading the hordes.

go maigc/horde and swap them in soo many dudes there is sweet F all they can do, or go combat hard, which is a lot harder to play but is awesome when done right.

with Chaos the issue is what is your strength as a player, or what you like playing, say you like a defensive game, taking units with the mark of khorne isnt likely to be the best idea, that would be reserved for the makrs of nurgle or tzeentch.

if offense is your thing khorne or slanneesh, i cant really offer much on the WoC besides that as i havent played them enough sorry. hope that helps in some way

TheZombieSquig
09-09-2009, 06:02
I play both armies. They both have unique play styles and are fun to play and convert. Check out the Fantasy Log forum for loads of ideas: http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100&order=desc

Angelust
09-09-2009, 06:22
I think both are good armies if you're interested in converting and modelling. Game play wise, I don't have much experience with Vamp Counts, but there's a load of different models for both armies, and both are not as disciplined and heraldic as other human armies, so you can go pretty wild with conversions and poses.

I would suggest that you take a look around your gaming community, and choose the army that gets less play. If you're more of a hobbyist and don't play as many games, just go with the army that provides the most opportunities for modelling and painting.

If you're looking to win games, take VC.

Classical Mushroom
09-09-2009, 07:41
There are both great armies with a huge range of conversions you can do. Undead you can make anything....well undead :) Chaos are very much the same you can add claw here there pretty much everywhere :p

Just to give you an idea of my conversions my local GW store is right next to an Ann Summers. I tell ya the Old World isn't ready for Chaos warriors who shop at Ann Summers!!

On the cost side Vampire Counts will cost you a lot more dosh as you can summon more to the battle. On the playing side both can be strong in magic and combat areas tho they both lack shooting (who would have guessed eh? :p)

Overall both are good options and you will find ever thing you want with either army. Vampire counts are more forgiving tho as magic and shooting doesn't harm them as mush as warriors of chaos.

Hope that helped buddy :)

O&G'sRule
10-09-2009, 01:01
chaos is always best for conversions

Zarroc
10-09-2009, 01:05
Vampire counts has a fair better list, they have better options and all round a better army

txamil
10-09-2009, 04:53
I'm actually wondering which rules to use for a count as! And it's VC or Chaos. I want to Cathay. Bad **************** evil Cathay.

Opinions and conversion ideas for rares and specials please?

The Red Scourge
10-09-2009, 06:23
chaos is always best for conversions

Thats because with chaos, even bad conversions are good conversions ;)

dcikgyurt
10-09-2009, 12:30
I am debating starting either a Warriors of Chaos army or a Vampire counts army. Gameplay both intrigue me, but I'm looking for some modelling fun. If I do VC I was thinking going a mix of races for my troops instead of everything being human. As for Chaos I have no idea which direction to go. I would like something competitive but not overpowering, but also just fun for me to paint and build. I'd love advice on conversions or models to use if I go VC, and just general stuff about both I guess.

Cheers.

With the converisons al I can say really is keep it tastefully understated, there's nothing worse than a conversion that looks like it was made by pouring plastic glue into a bits box and then giving it a stir. As for parts for conversions, invest in the 40K possessed box and a box of Spawn, there's loads of spare arms and bits in there and some of the conversions I've seen using those kits worked really well.

For VC have a look at the collectors range as there is a Dogs of War Skeleton uniot that contains a Skeletal orc, elf, dwarf, skaven and lizardman. Likewise a darklef army converts over really well as you can paint up the DE to look like lesser vamps and vampiric thralls.

gorenut
10-09-2009, 19:46
Funny enough.. Chaos is one of those armies that I think look better when there aren't too many outrageous conversions going on. I like the unified, disciplined, solid look.. I know kind of contradictory to the word "chaos," but thats just how I like em. I think too often people go overboard with Chaos conversions and the army ends up looking like mutant experiment rejects.

Out of the two.. I'd be more inclined to do conversions of an Undead army. I like having the imagery of the Vampire "recruiting" his defeated foe into his own force. It poses a nice challenge to have something from another army still look unified to the rest of yours. Plus... nothing is cooler than asking your opponent for any spare bits from his army that you may use to convert into a zombie (ofcourse, only after you beat him).

smokingmonkee
12-09-2009, 21:22
Ironically if I do go Chaos they will look more unified. I've been trying to come up with ideas for converting up wraiths and black knights. I saw an orc vampire army that had ghostly wolf riders and I'd like to do something similar and plus I hate the look of the skeletal steeds.
As for the community I think there is only one player of each, so I won't be over saturating the area with either one.
If it matters I'm a lizardman player and am looking for a change so is either army a big change?