PDA

View Full Version : IG Penal Legion, anyone taking them?

Getifa Ubazza
09-09-2009, 07:43
As the title says. Is anyone out there taking an IG Penal Legion and if so, what models are you using?

I was thinking of just using Cadians, But maybe get some heads from somewhere like Pig iron.

Hicks
09-09-2009, 07:53
Since I own lots of them and 2 of the special bonuses penal legionnaires can get are CC oriented, I intend to use my pit slaves.

I think GW really dropped the ball by saying that being good with a switchblade = rending. Industrial sized drills and buzzsaws however... :evilgrin:

Plus the models are so lovely, any reason to use them is good enough in my book.

Getifa Ubazza
09-09-2009, 08:05
I think GW really dropped the ball by saying that being good with a switchblade = rending.I must admit to a double take on reading that in the codex.
Industrial sized drills and buzzsaws however... :evilgrin:
Oh, yes. :evilgrin:

Plus the models are so lovely, any reason to use them is good enough in my book.Exactly.

Logarithm Udgaur
09-09-2009, 08:47
I plan on having at least one unit of them in every army I will be fielding in 5th edition. They have performed well in the five games I have played so far. I use a mix of the Blood Pact conversions I have made armed with all sorts of things.

Edit: Guys like this;
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q212/mr_gask/Picture060.jpg

Bloodknight
09-09-2009, 08:48
I field two units of them sometimes, coming from the flanks. As somebody who likes abhumans and the RT fluff, I field Imperial Beastmen ("Beastmen baaaad, pay Emperor in bloood") ;).

Hicks
09-09-2009, 08:51
I field two units of them sometimes, coming from the flanks. As somebody who likes abhumans and the RT fluff, I field Imperial Beastmen ("Beastmen baaaad, pay Emperor in bloood") ;).

Those would be my second choice (gears in brain start turning)... hey how about beastmen with crude cybernetic implants that can cleave a mountain in two!

Keravin
09-09-2009, 08:53
Used non GW models mostly - old Grenadier and Copplestone minis - led by a converted sergeant.

Dranthar
09-09-2009, 09:02
Scavvies...freaking perfect.

For me at least. ;)

DaHedd
09-09-2009, 09:05
Ive got old metal Catachans, my intention was/is to dremmel off their hair and bandannas, leaving them bald with tattoos of barcodes on their heads. Orange jump suits anyone ?

Otherwise ive got a heap of old metal Beastmen.

Not used either in a scrap yet though.

djinn8
09-09-2009, 10:21
I do want to get a few squads, but I want to use Ratskin Scouts and they cost a fortune. Especially as I want 20 of the bleeders.

DaSpaceAsians
09-09-2009, 12:21
I'd use them to represent off-world military advisors who are assigned to my ''newly'' founded regiment

ThousandPlateaus
09-09-2009, 12:30
I use the Empire state troops which I've converted using some flagellant heads and some of the new 'bald' command squad heads, etc: they all have manacles and chains around their ankles so they look like prisoners.

I've found them invaluable as a flanking reserve unit to come in and sneak on to objectives at the last minute.

totgeboren
09-09-2009, 12:31
I use a unit, they tend to outflank, and have been very useful. All three of their different abilities are useful, and when you are the one assaulting, you want your guys to stick around for your enemies turn. :)

Mine look like this, made from catachans, flagellants and pig iron head.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3487404&postcount=8

Canis
09-09-2009, 13:04
I use a unit, they tend to outflank, and have been very useful. All three of their different abilities are useful, and when you are the one assaulting, you want your guys to stick around for your enemies turn. :)

Mine look like this, made from catachans, flagellants and pig iron head.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3487404&postcount=8

Nice work! I love the conversions on the lasguns.

Bookwrak
09-09-2009, 14:03
I use kroot. Hello mercenary companies.

edward3h
09-09-2009, 14:44
I use one unit as outflankers. They're not super-powerful but they can help interfere with the opponent's plans.

I've been using some old plastic Necromunda figures. But I'm working on painting up some even older RT era mercenary/adventurer figures that I've had sitting around.

Nero Vipus
20-04-2010, 17:52
I just use one unit of them but they have proved themselves to be very useful. I find they work best with the psychopaths rule as it turns them into pretty good assault troops (well compared to most imperial guard units!) Though the other two work well too.

I converted some by kit-bashing various catachan bits with the empire flagellants. The link is in my signature if anyone is interested.

Bunnahabhain
20-04-2010, 17:59
I use them occasionally. Not a great unit, but not bad, and cheap enough you can throw a unit in.

I use Cadians, with a large number of looted Ork weapons. They were originally done to be dropped into veteran squads back in 4th ed.

Sir_Turalyon
20-04-2010, 18:25
I use them as "fun factor". As my Catachans are modeled as quite feral (with their faces making them wave weapons or body parts is all I need) I use a mix of them and Last Chancers.

Orcboy_Phil
20-04-2010, 20:27
Catachans painted orange. I got three units of these guys but there currently a bit of a wreak after I sold my Tallarns.

Veev
20-04-2010, 20:38
I don't have any yet. But I plan to have mutants, made from cadians, bits of chaos spawn and random, insane looking heads! :evilgrin:

wazatdingder
20-04-2010, 20:41
I got tons of them, Necromunda models. Also I got a bunch of Fraternis Militia.

rodmillard
20-04-2010, 21:14
Scavvies...freaking perfect.

For me at least. ;)

Oooh. I have been using plastic Catachans, but since my shotgun vets are necromunda enforcers I think I might start using scavvies and/or ratskins as my penal legion.

Delicious Ron
20-04-2010, 23:34
I have had some plans to include some in my savlar chem dogs army, but the fact that their abilities are random holds me back.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
20-04-2010, 23:41
I don't have any yet. But I plan to have mutants, made from cadians, bits of chaos spawn and random, insane looking heads! :evilgrin:

This is how I use them as well, except that I use Catachans with the old school chaos mutations sprue. Seems to work with the rules.

Alessander
21-04-2010, 01:43
as wazatdingder said earlier, anyone who played Necromunda will have a ton of models to use as penal legionaires/PDF.

anyone who used the short-lived Abhumas doctrine will also have models to use as penal legionnaires that would otherwise be useless.