PDA

View Full Version : Replay Storm of Chaos

Geordie Vampire
09-09-2009, 10:36
Is it worth trying to replay the Storm of Chaos, just I saw the rule book in a local hobby shop of mine (not GW) and as I took very little part in the original campaign, and I see so many threads on the campaign and people debating it or saying why they don't like it. I would very much like to try it and see what conclusion to the Campiagn I and a group of people come up with, even though it would have no reflect on worldwide fluff it might just be kind of fun to change the outcome of the warhammer world.

So is it worth trying to replay the Storm of Chaos with a small group of people rather than like worldwide?

Anyone in the Newcastle and Sunderland region of the UK interested in attempting this PM me.

Freman Bloodglaive
09-09-2009, 10:43
Just a note, Valten is pretty good.

He's like Chuck Norris, if Chuck Norris used a magic hammer instead of his roundhouse kick.

Condottiere
09-09-2009, 11:18
Valten should avoid politicians and rats, sometimes indistinguishable.

Eternus
09-09-2009, 11:33
Could see if my local gaming group might be interested - we could post battle results.

Maoriboy007
09-09-2009, 11:54
Just a note, Valten is pretty good.

He's like Chuck Norris, if Chuck Norris used a magic hammer instead of his roundhouse kick.

Actually Archaon would kick Valtens ass most of the time.

Sleazy
09-09-2009, 13:30
Was it Gladstones?

Zarroc
09-09-2009, 13:58
Seeing Archaon got pwned wouldnt he lose the favours of the chaos gods, and made a spawn or something?? :rolleyes:

Corrode
09-09-2009, 14:07
Seeing Archaon got pwned wouldnt he lose the favours of the chaos gods, and made a spawn or something?? :rolleyes:

That way lies madness.

Zarroc
09-09-2009, 14:11
That way lies madness.

LOL

Would of happened to any other chaos lord who failed in his quest... Archaon must go under the chaos gods desks/thrones or something :rolleyes:

Bingo the Fun Monkey
09-09-2009, 16:03
To his credit, I don't recall any other chaos lords making it so far down south. I guess Middenheim isn't that far south....yea spawn him.

I still swell with orcish pride at the thought of Grimgor screaming "I'M DA BOSS!!!" repeatedly into archaon's helmet. Yea...he da boss.

Geordie Vampire
09-09-2009, 17:00
Was it Gladstones?

in north shield yeah :)

Do you fancy trying to rewrite the course of the SoC??

grumbaki
09-09-2009, 18:19
Well, Archaon didn't do that bad...

* His forces destroyed Erengrad (one of Kislev's major cities)
-And presumably destroyed every host that Kislev could muster to get that far south
* Took Wolfenburg, a provincial capital (the Empire is pretty much independent provinces loosely ruled by an Emperor, so this is a big achievement)
- I don't remember if he took Talabheim or not
- He left Middlenad, Hochland and Ostland in ruins
- His horde broke against the strongest fortress in the old world, with the exception of major holds of the dwarfs. And that is only because Middenheim had
a) a huge standing army/population
b) was reinforced by dwarfs and high elves (who had with them the greatest non-slaan mortal mage in the world)
c) were relieved by the Emperor who was leading the army of Reikland (the biggest army in the Empire)
d) was hit in the rear by an Orc WAAAAGH! which was led by the toughest orc in existence.

So, putting that all together Archaon didn't do that bad. He did more damage to the Empire than any Chaos Warlord before him and he survived to tell the tale. He is also still sticking around inside the Empire, something which no other warlord has done after defeat. Sure, he didn't get his major goal accomplished, but perhaps the chaos gods are happy with the damage he did cause and look forward to using him again for another go.

----

At least I tell myself this while trying to forget Teclis' "I win" button, Grimgor's head-but without the coup de grace, von Carstein losing the eye staring contest, Volkmar being welcomed back with open arms, and worst of all, Ungrim's complete, utter, ***** idiocy.

So, forgetting all of that, and with the above, things were not that bad...

Geordie Vampire
09-09-2009, 19:22
How did GW incoperate the other races like VC and Orcs into deciding the outcome of the final battle thats what I don't understand, because I'm looking at the SoC book and although it gives lists for specific armies i'm not sure how they effected the results. Was it for example say that the orcs where beating Chaos in unrelated pitched battle and regestering the results and how was it that Mannfred showed his vampiric face again??

TheDeathDealer
09-09-2009, 19:44
I remember getting the Rule Book, yet only playing it once.

Leogun_91
09-09-2009, 20:01
You become a spawn by getting to much mutations, mutations are gifts, you get gifts from the gods by doing things they like, Archaon doesn´t do things the gods like that much, Archaon doesn´t get many gifts, Archaon doesn´t get enough mutations to become a spawn.

BigRob
09-09-2009, 20:15
The Storm of Chaos was all over the warhammer world. Yes the big party was in the Empire but meanwhile the High Elves and Lizardmen were dealing with the cult of slaneesh and Morathi's designs on Lustria, Manfred was busy whipping Croms army into little skeletal pieces since he rather foolishly choose to invade through Sylvania, The Eshin assassins were popping up here there and everywhere.

The reason it all fell apart and became the gentle drizzle of Chaos (and this has been done ALOT on here so have a search for more details) is because when the results came in Archaeon was nowhere near middenhiem. Chaos lost rather badly and so to avoid any moaning, GW decided to have a "everyones really tough but no one actually wins" ending where Valten gets slapped by Archaeon who gets slapped by Grimgor, who legs it from the undead who in turn leg it from the Empire armies, who let achaeon get away with it and everyones a winner.

Rather similar to the Eye of Terror campaign really. Yes replay it and post up the battle reports! Lets see who wins this time round. Some of the lists will need a little work to fit in with the new armybooks though.

dwarfhold13
09-09-2009, 21:49
if you or i lived closer to one another, i could bring the slayer list as i'm painting one up for the ToFP

Sleazy
10-09-2009, 14:51
in north shield yeah :)

Do you fancy trying to rewrite the course of the SoC??

Maybe, I dont play much but am off this week and next. Could meet at GW Newcastle for a game if you have an army ready, if not pm me and we can see when I am free.

BilboBaggins
10-09-2009, 15:11
GW shouldn't have made the big deal that the results would change the world of Warhammer forever.

For some reason Chaos players had problems, maybe more should have played Daemons.

Having Gargrim Ironfist die from a Giant falling on him really proved GW stopped taking things seriously.

GW could have handled it better, like not counting on their beloved Chaos armies making it to Middenheim.

Ending it with Valten getting killed by a Skaven while asleep was too cheesy, even by cheesy Skaven tactics.

BigRob
10-09-2009, 15:36
In any event there has been a quick rewind in all the recent armybooks and the new edition of WFRP. The timeline now stands just before the Storm of Chaos with the world teetering on the brink of the mighty storm that will sweep all before it. You'll notice that since the major flak from SoC and EoT, GW hasn't run anymore major campigns. Medusa V was just one planet and Nemesis Crown faded into quiet obscurity.

Geordie Vampire
10-09-2009, 15:49
how was the SoC run??? was it just play games of fantasy as normal (with lists including those in SoC) and register results online?
because there is a tree campaign in the book yet it focuses on Chaos vs Empire, if chaos win this scenario is played if Empire win that scenario is played etc etc, so what I want to know is how do you tie in other races into the actual battles because I know about the fluff at the start and how they are involved but how did they effect the result??

Eternus
10-09-2009, 16:11
In any event there has been a quick rewind in all the recent armybooks and the new edition of WFRP. The timeline now stands just before the Storm of Chaos with the world teetering on the brink of the mighty storm that will sweep all before it. You'll notice that since the major flak from SoC and EoT, GW hasn't run anymore major campigns. Medusa V was just one planet and Nemesis Crown faded into quiet obscurity.

Ah yes, the Nemesis Crown - forgot about that entirely, and I've got the booklet somewhere. Did that mention the SoC at all?

Condottiere
10-09-2009, 17:20
I think most of us want to forget about Nemesis Crown.

Zarroc
11-09-2009, 03:12
I think most of us want to forget about Nemesis Crown.

I took a break from the hobby at this time, who ended up winning this one??

BigRob
11-09-2009, 08:10
Considering that whichever race got hold of it had the power to destroy the world and the only race that didn't want to do this was the Dwarves.....

Predictably, the Dwarves won!

Condottiere
11-09-2009, 09:36
It was the Dwarves to lose, though I suspect they may have had help.

Grimstonefire
11-09-2009, 13:46
It would actually be fun to re-run the whole SoC unofficially using the opening fluff, the descriptions of locations and events etc.

To be done properly it would take a group adept at creating flash maps, something far beyond me unfortunately. :(

IT was not actually a given that the Dwarfs would win the nemesis crown btw, unless GW modified the results for the last 2 weeks. It was surprisingly close with the bretonnians.

BilboBaggins
11-09-2009, 13:59
GW tamper with results, yes I can see it.

Now what would have happened if the Chaos Dwarfs were better represented. :D

Count Demandred
11-09-2009, 14:17
You become a spawn by getting to much mutations, mutations are gifts, you get gifts from the gods by doing things they like, Archaon doesn´t do things the gods like that much, Archaon doesn´t get many gifts, Archaon doesn´t get enough mutations to become a spawn.

Or, alternatively, the gods turn someone into a spawn for their amusements' sake.

And also alternatively, the gods grant you ascention into Daemonhood as a reward for continuously pleasing them.

Zarroc
11-09-2009, 14:54
Dont bother replying Storm of chaos, make up your own campaign and just have storm of chaos basic campaign rules to guide you

This will help you develop your own armies fluff and would be pretty fun, having your own heros writing there own stories

BigRob
11-09-2009, 15:18
It would be great to see if refought properly with large armies and battles by the fluff and story rather than the GW versions. Some of the key battles were fought in White dwarf with a mere 3000pts for what is supposed to be a huge fight.

The Orc river crossing springs to mind as one that might be fun to do. The background featured Orc boats, imperial dug in defences and the Engineers guild turning up in an experimental steam ship with turrets and a fighting tower filled with experimental handguns and weapons. The new "legendary battles" rules might be handy in putting some of the larger games together like the siege of Erengrad and Middenhiem later on.