PDA

View Full Version : The new Blood Angels!

vahouth
09-09-2009, 11:58
The time is short for the new BA codex to appear (maybe after Nids) and GW seems to lean towards a vampiric theme for them (Space Hulk), despite the fact that the pdf focuses more on their artistic nature.

So here comes a question....
Which aspect of the Blood Angels would u like to be more dominant in the new book?

Kurisu313
09-09-2009, 12:06
The time is short for the new BA codex to appear

I admire your optimism.

No aspect should be more dominant. They are all part and parcel of what the blood angels are.

Fanboy
09-09-2009, 12:06
Ok, firstly, legends of our vampiric legancy is purely myth and fiction, dreamt up by some miss guided heretic of a an ultra-smurf. As for the un-natural size of our canines, its purely genetic. Are you claiming Space Wolves to also be vampires because of their canines. I think not........

Secondly, what does ultra crafters mean?

Yours thankfully

Fanboy

vampires are cool!
09-09-2009, 12:11
I see them as Blood Angels. Simply put. Niether one nor 'tuther.

vahouth
09-09-2009, 12:36
Ok, firstly, legends of our vampiric legancy is purely myth and fiction, dreamt up by some miss guided heretic of a an ultra-smurf. As for the un-natural size of our canines, its purely genetic. Are you claiming Space Wolves to also be vampires because of their canines. I think not........

Secondly, what does ultra crafters mean?

Yours thankfully

Fanboy

I'm mot so sure about the vampiric nature of the BAs, but they do sleep in their sarcofagus, they drink blood in their rites to become Space Marines, they are blood thirsty, and those aflicted by the Red Thirst are... well u know;)
I even remember of a special rule that Mephiston had about stopping in the middle of the battle to drink blood.
It looks like to me that they are part-time vampires.
Also about the canines... I'm not familiar of any other BA model that has them other than the 1 or 2 termies from Space Hulk (maybe this is how they will make them from now on)

Also about ultra-crafters...
maybe master-crafters would be more apropriate?:p

havokas
09-09-2009, 12:58
im so sick of people going on about "blood angels are vampires..." the red thirst and black rage are just caused by a problem with their gene-seed that makes them go nuts... no sprout blood sucking fangs (just genetic long teeth) and they dont hate garlick.

Corrode
09-09-2009, 13:00
They're not out-and-out vampires, but they've certainly had some of that aspect to them for a while. It's not like this is a new development.

Imperialis_Dominatus
09-09-2009, 13:01
Both. Duh.

GW seems to lean towards a vampiric theme for them (Space Hulk)

I'm not familiar of any other BA model that has them other than the 1 or 2 termies from Space Hulk

One model whose fangs are barely noticeable except when heavily accentuated through paint. One.

Condottiere
09-09-2009, 13:02
The choices seem a little limited. Perhaps their more seraphic nature.

vahouth
09-09-2009, 13:08
Both. Duh.

One model whose fangs are barely noticeable except when heavily accentuated through paint. One.

Correct, there is one termie!
But those fangs, not exactly "barely" noticable.;)

Castigator
09-09-2009, 13:18
I've got this hunch that GWs gonna focus on the 'elite-space-soldiers-in-power-armour-with-big-weapons' aspect with them.

Super Ninja
09-09-2009, 13:19
I second everything Imperialis_Domiatus said.

Also, between the BA's over charged Rhinos, Baal Predators and the Lucifer Armored Strike Force, it seems like the BA have a thing for armored warfare. Considering that I am somewhat of a treadhead I would'nt mind if this were expanded upon.

Imperialis_Dominatus
09-09-2009, 13:36
those fangs, not exactly "barely" noticable.;)

...except when heavily accentuated through paint.

I have the unpainted model right in front of me and it's painfully obvious that they could only be so prominent via a paintjob designed to do such a thing. It wouldn't be that hard to gloss over them. 'Eavy Metal chose to make sure everyone saw fangs, big whoop. You don't want them, paint them without accentuating them. You still bothered, file the damn things.

spetswalshe
09-09-2009, 13:36
I think it's great that we have a sober comment from a guy called 'vampires are cool!' on here.

Personally I have a hunch that they will follow the Space Wolf system. This means we're likely to see a Blood Prince, Blood Lords, Blood Priests (not Sanguinary, that's too ambiguous), Blood Scouts, Blood Guard, and the Death Company will be changed to the Blooded/Blood Company/Blood Bloods.

Imperialis_Dominatus
09-09-2009, 13:39
And a special character called Cruorus Bloodborn who rides a giant Blood Bat (newly retconned to be native to Baal) wielding Blood Swords and fighting alongside his Blood Guard who also ride on Blood Bats from the planet Baal, home of the Blood Angels.

vahouth
09-09-2009, 13:47
And a special character called Cruorus Bloodborn who rides a giant Blood Bat

wOW!:wtf:
Would that make him follow the rules for a skimmer or a jetbike? :D:D:D

IAMNOTHERE
09-09-2009, 14:04
Every BA model comes with fangs, if you file the helmet and lips down far enough you can see them quite clearly.

Sarevok
09-09-2009, 14:06
I think it's great that we have a sober comment from a guy called 'vampires are cool!' on here.

Personally I have a hunch that they will follow the Space Wolf system. This means we're likely to see a Blood Prince, Blood Lords, Blood Priests (not Sanguinary, that's too ambiguous), Blood Scouts, Blood Guard, and the Death Company will be changed to the Blooded/Blood Company/Blood Bloods.

Instead of Sagas you could give the characters Bloodline Powers (like WFB vampires)

Imperialis_Dominatus
09-09-2009, 14:08
wOW!:wtf:
Would that make him follow the rules for a skimmer or a jetbike? :D:D:D

Knowing GW, both.

Every BA model comes with fangs, if you file the helmet anlips down far enough you can see them quite clearly.

Yes, yes...*Mr. Burns style finger-steepling*

sydbridges
09-09-2009, 14:10
And a special character called Cruorus Bloodborn who rides a giant Blood Bat (newly retconned to be native to Baal) wielding Blood Swords and fighting alongside his Blood Guard who also ride on Blood Bats from the planet Baal, home of the Blood Angels.

I assume you're submitting this suggestion to GW HQ as evidence that you've got a feel for the universe and could write the Blood Angel codex?

Fanboy
09-09-2009, 14:17
Originally Posted by vahouth
wOW!
Would that make him follow the rules for a skimmer or a jetbike?
Knowing GW, both.

Originally Posted by IAMNOTHERE
Every BA model comes with fangs, if you file the helmet anlips down far enough you can see them quite clearly.
Yes, yes...*Mr. Burns style finger-steepling*

ROTFLOL, ROTFLIOL, Brilliant, Absolutely Brilliant.....

Youyrs thankfully

Fanboy

vampires are cool!
09-09-2009, 17:13

Problem with that?

TimLeeson
09-09-2009, 17:27
I think in their current state, they arent really that interesting visually. I mean their just marines with some blood-drops here and there over them. The death-company especially are pretty dull.

That said, I think they have massive potential, the two great models in their range that have a unique look to them are Dante and Mephiston. So IMO id like to see more influence from those two models.

I think the Death-company could be more vampiric, more insane, battered armour, exposed limbs, brutal as hell. Something to be feared.

I think the assault marines should have more influence from Dante, go further with the Greek imagery.

more influence from mephiston in other units as well. Thats the one BA specific marine I actually really like, personally. Hell, im using him as a base for my "Chapter master Vigo" for my own marines...

All these elements put into upgrade kits could really make them visually unique and give them more flavour than just "red marines with a few symbols". The other three chapter-specific ranges all have a unique look to them (DA's with their uber gothicness, robes ect, the templars with the "knights templar" medieval feel, the space wolves with the viking look ect) so I feel Blood Angels have alot of potential to be something cool and unique, and IMO they -should- be if they are going to get a codex and army-list to themselves.

Urath
09-09-2009, 19:30
Mm, I too think that an upgrade kit would be a good start. With some nice decals, Blood Angel specific wargear/pieces of armour; parts from the Space Hulk Terminators would be nice, that kind of stuff.

jsullivanlaw
09-09-2009, 19:38

But this would make blood angels just as stupid as space wolves...

sydbridges
09-09-2009, 19:40

I dare propose it was a suggestion made in jest, poking fun at the new Space Wolves codex.

wilsongrahams
09-09-2009, 19:59
I fear that they will go down the silly route just like third ed... The greek style as already suggested would be great, with more patterning to their armour - like Dante, Tycho and Corbulo. A few blood drops and skulls don't change the armour enough. What they did with the Space Hulk Terminators is along the lines of what I would like to see.
I've always liked the vestigial fangs thing, but they have overdone them on painting Lorenzo. I hope they keep it toned down a little.

Col_Festus
09-09-2009, 20:43
I think the Death-company could be more vampiric, more insane, battered armour, exposed limbs, brutal as hell. Something to be feared.

like the 13th company? but blood angels style?

Argastes
09-09-2009, 20:57
Not sure why the Death Company would have "battered armor and exposed limbs". Let's remember the fluff on the DC: As the Blood Angels chapter assembles for their pre-battle rituals, and the chaplains walk among the battle-brothers dispensing their blessings and whatnot, they watch for those battle-brothers who seem to afflicted by the onset of the Black Rage. When they spot such battle-brothers, they take them aside and form them into the Death Company, painting their armor black and marking it with a saltire of blood. These guys then deliberately seek out death in battle, and they practically never survive (in fact I seem to recall that if any do survive, they are typically killed by their chaplain afterwards, to save them from the curse of the Red Thirst and madness). In other words, DC members are not exactly going to be fighting battle after battle. They fight one and only one battle after being inducted into the DC.

So what should DC members look like? Exactly like normal Blood Angels marines (tactical squad members, etc.), but with black armor instead of red, and close-combat weapons. Because that's what they are. When you see a Death Company member on the battlefield, you can know that he was, up until maybe a few hours ago, a perfectly regular BA marine.

I fear that they will go down the silly route just like third ed... The greek style as already suggested would be great, with more patterning to their armour - like Dante, Tycho and Corbulo. A few blood drops and skulls don't change the armour enough. What they did with the Space Hulk Terminators is along the lines of what I would like to see.
I've always liked the vestigial fangs thing, but they have overdone them on painting Lorenzo. I hope they keep it toned down a little.

This, I definitely agree with. I hope that when the BA's get an upgrade sprue, it has a lot of legs, torsos, arms, and shoulder pads with the same sort of decorative stylings we see on Dante and Tycho. I really love how Tycho's breastplate has those Roman-style muscles on it, and how his foot armor has molded-on toes, and so forth. Dante's legs and torso armor are also quite cool. And a couple of helmets with "death mask" faces would be great as well. Dante seems to be the only BA who wears one nowadays, but the old BA captain model had one too, and several old pieces of art show BA captains/officers wearing them.

The new Space Hulk terminators are great models, but I kind of dislike how the sculptor apparently thought that an acceptable form of ornamentation was just putting on a bunch of gemstone blood-drops in random places. It looks a bit silly when there are just a couple of them stuck on the side of a powerfist or whatever. I shaved them off my SH termies, I hope we don't see more of them on future BA sculpts.

TimLeeson
09-09-2009, 21:16
Well, unlike most I dont mind retcons if they make for better models ;)

hendybadger
09-09-2009, 23:49
Let me ask just one question.

Have you ever seen a Blood Angel in a mirror?

Imperialis_Dominatus
10-09-2009, 00:52
But if they give us artificer armor sprues, I'll have to remodel my leaders...

I assume you're submitting this suggestion to GW HQ as evidence that you've got a feel for the universe and could write the Blood Angel codex?

Yes. That is my clever plan.

*twitch*

I dare propose it was a suggestion made in jest, poking fun at the new Space Wolves codex.

And you have the point.

Let me ask just one question.

Have you ever seen a Blood Angel in a mirror?

Mother of God, he's right... :eek:

Gorthaur
10-09-2009, 01:18
I like the vampiric nature of the Blood Angels, it makes them different, and cooler looking, Lorenzo's teeth are cool. And, more conversion opportunities, one of the plastic World Eater heads has vampiric teeth like Lorenzo's, some conversion opportunity there if you want a tact squad sergeant or something in your army to be vampiric.

Argastes
10-09-2009, 01:32
Isn't the vampiric nature of the BA's supposed to be their deepest and darkest secret, so much so that even their own codex fluff has never stated it clearly but only hinted at it? Doesn't make much sense for it to be literally written on their faces. I like their hidden vampiric nature too, and I definitely think their vampiric undertones are an important part of who they are, but that nature should be kept subtle, not played up so that they become the "Vampires in Space" chapter.

chaoslordmassurgi
10-09-2009, 02:02
Correct, there is one termie!
But those fangs, not exactly "barely" noticable.;)

he is 650 yrs old this is over growth...:D

Corporal Chaos
10-09-2009, 02:29
I have to say Both. hat is the allure.

solkan
10-09-2009, 04:46
It won't be the end of the world until someone paints glittery Blood Angels, to account for (relatively) recent events. :p

hawo0313
10-09-2009, 05:46
OK so they live for extended life spans and they drink blood as a ritual bu the similarities between them and vampires end there. And thier armour is awesomely crafted well thats what I think from looking at the space hulk models.

Hellebore
10-09-2009, 06:20
Well, I don't think the SH models are particularly vampiric. Fangs though were part of the space wolf schtick, which makes blood angels and space wolves look a little wierd.

Imperialis_Dominatus said the most sensible thing (despite being a crazy, crazy cat).

I would love a blood angel upgrade sprue with moob sculpted breastplates, legs, arms etc

Hellebore

vahouth
10-09-2009, 07:40
he is 650 yrs old this is over growth...:D

OMG!:eek: That's why Dante is hiding his TUSKS behind a mask!
He is shy!!:D:D

Petay1985
10-09-2009, 09:05
I have voted both i see the Blood Angels image of the 'utopian seeking perfectionists' as the pre-heresy image of the chapter in the days of Sanguinius.
The 'vampiric' image is post-heresy and post black rage / red thirst setting in, the prevelance of the flaw has resulted in the more vampiric appearance/theme but i do believe that the 'perfectionist' imagery should still be there, if only subtle.

Occulto
10-09-2009, 09:14
Mephiston's clearly got fangs in the 2nd ed Angels of Death codex (p95). :p

It won't be the end of the world until someone paints glittery Blood Angels, to account for (relatively) recent events. :p

Someone had to say it. :D

Petay1985
10-09-2009, 09:38

Someone had to say it.

Apologies for the ignorance, but what does this refer to?

Condottiere
10-09-2009, 09:58
Twilight.

I'm sure you could sort of sprinkle glittery stuff over the models and have it stick.

Petay1985
10-09-2009, 10:00
Twilight.
I'm sure you could sort of sprinkle glittery stuff over the models and have it stick.

lol oh i see, cheers fella!! Not up to speed on my girly teen vampire flicks!! (thats a lie - i secretly enjoyed watching it with my girlfriend) :p

Imperialis_Dominatus
10-09-2009, 12:50
Someone on here said that when you're at the point where you can sum an army up in two or three words, either that army needs to be expanded on or you're being simplistic. I agree with that sentiment.

*tears apartment complex down to the last brick in uncontrollable rage*

Look what you did, now I have no place to live! You... you! You!

Imperialis_Dominatus said the most sensible thing (despite being a crazy, crazy cat).

Why thank you.

Souleater
10-09-2009, 13:31
Blood Angels had a hint of vampirism, true. The tales of the bloodless bodies, the screams from the tower, the odd figure with fangs.

These could simply be tales of those terrified of the blood-thirstly 'Angels of Death' sent by the Emperor to smite his enemies.

But, fairly obvious without it actually being stated.

I worry however having read the SM codex (co-incidence that S and M are the initials of 'Mary Sue' backwards? I think not!), The CSM codex and rumours of how the Space Wolves are portrayed in their new dex....

...I'm really worried that Blood Angels are going to become pure stereotypical brooding-artist-teen-fantasy types. However, the background for the Marines in SH is pretty good. They are Marines but with human qualities. I hope the BA dex keeps to such a standard.

Eulenspiegel
10-09-2009, 13:35
I was in a nerdrage (and perhaps still am) over the fangs on the new Terminator Sergeant.

My first thought was "Oh my god they´re going to make them Vampires!"

You´re correct in saying that he is the only one (if you dismiss Mephiston) to show such prominent vampiric signs. I say I hope he isn´t the first.

See, they´re redoing the Blood Angels line or will do so soon, and some GW designers are more ham-fisted in their attempts to do something original.

It won't be the end of the world until someone paints glittery Blood Angels, to account for (relatively) recent events.
Goodwin´s Law, applied to the Blood Angels :rolleyes: :cool:

Souleater
10-09-2009, 13:46
*Shrugs* the fangs aren't all that big. I was more impressed with the haircuts to be honest.

Ravenheart
10-09-2009, 16:26
And I say GW should go completely ape-sh** on them. The upcomming Blood Angels could thus contain (but not limited to):

Necromancy Psy-Powers

Vets have vampire Stats (see WHFB)

Characters and HQ units have vampire count stats (see WHFB)

Varghulfs and various kinds of bats as fast attack choices

Yeah, it would invoke lots of nerdrage and face-palming, but it would be quite hilarious.

Lt.DustyMillar
10-09-2009, 16:37
I think they will play up the vampire things in their new dex, but still tinged with the artistic, slightly tragic angle rather than blood thirsty. Basically what they have now to an extent, but with the vampirism a little more obvious.

But even this is gonna be overlooked to allow them to be the mechanised infantry that so far is lacking in the specialised SM range, with the wolves now fullfilling the close combat oriented army. So can see lots of fluff added to build that aspect up

Argastes
10-09-2009, 16:37
OK so they live for extended life spans and they drink blood as a ritual bu the similarities between them and vampires end there.

No, they don't end there. GW has dropped various hints over the years about the BA's vampiric nature. There's the thing about Imperial citizens on BA-occupied worlds being found drained of blood. And then there's this from the Codex Imperialis:

"Upon the seed of the Blood Angels lies the most ancient curse of mutation, a foulness that cannot be seen, which is covered by the grace, intelligence, and high achievements which are the proud boast of this most noble of Chapters. Yet the fire that burns behind the eyes of these sons of Sanguinius is bright with a thirst which only the blood of man can slake. Aye, it would be wise to but whisper the name that comes from times heavy with age and fear, a name which echoes in the march of the Blood Angels, the name of Vampire"

What do YOU think the "Red Thirst" is? Let's not be naive, here. But, as I said earlier, I do think that their vampiric undertones should be kept subtle, not played up. It's more effective that way.

Petay1985
10-09-2009, 16:46
No, they don't end there. GW has dropped various hints over the years about the BA's vampiric nature. There's the thing about Imperial citizens on BA-occupied worlds being found drained of blood. And then there's this from the Codex Imperialis:

"Upon the seed of the Blood Angels lies the most ancient curse of mutation, a foulness that cannot be seen, which is covered by the grace, intelligence, and high achievements which are the proud boast of this most noble of Chapters. Yet the fire that burns behind the eyes of these sons of Sanguinius is bright with a thirst which only the blood of man can slake. Aye, it would be wise to but whisper the name that comes from times heavy with age and fear, a name which echoes in the march of the Blood Angels, the name of Vampire"

What do YOU think the "Red Thirst" is? Let's not be naive, here. But, as I said earlier, I do think that their vampiric undertones should be kept subtle, not played up. It's more effective that way.

With you completely, contemporary Blood Angels (and by contemporary i mean 41st millenia) have been depicted as Vampiric in many places, i do however think it should remain an undertone.
Should they reflect the vampiric nature in the models, hell yeah, i'm all for that.
Should they reflect the vampiric nature in the rules, NO!! that would ruin their grace and nobility!!

defcat
10-09-2009, 17:09
For me "the magic is in the mystery" to quote Hatching Pete. Yes, I have 3 kids under the age of 4 so disney channel gets a lot of play around my house. Back to the point, I think that the fangs are fine on a model who represents a 650 year old space marine. I don't have a problem with the idea that as they age they start to show signs of vampirism. I don't think however that it needs to be seen in every model on the board. In my mind I see the Chapter as a whole looking at their elite/long lived brothers with both a sense of awe and fear. They want to reach that level of experience and prestige, but they also see what they will have to endure and live with aswell. I might not be wording it the best way possible, but something similar to this would play on the tragic nature of their flaw.

GideonRavenor
10-09-2009, 17:14
I would love to see reasonably handsome Blood Angels with longer hair; why on earth would such an aesthetic chapter be skin heads? Space Hulk seems to have covered this to an extent (but I still think their hair should be longer) in the models, but the artwork shows the helmeted marines as being bald and thuggish beneath.

I would also like to see a few masks appear (though, as an Angels Sanguine player, I am biased) and more ornate armour. Fangs are good, but should not be too prominent, and high collars like Mephiston's are a definite no.

x-esiv-4c
10-09-2009, 17:17
convenient tie in to the new Twilight movie!

Petay1985
10-09-2009, 17:18
For me "the magic is in the mystery" to quote Hatching Pete. Yes, I have 3 kids under the age of 4 so disney channel gets a lot of play around my house. Back to the point, I think that the fangs are fine on a model who represents a 650 year old space marine. I don't have a problem with the idea that as they age they start to show signs of vampirism. I don't think however that it needs to be seen in every model on the board. In my mind I see the Chapter as a whole looking at their elite/long lived brothers with both a sense of awe and fear. They want to reach that level of experience and prestige, but they also see what they will have to endure and live with aswell. I might not be wording it the best way possible, but something similar to this would play on the tragic nature of their flaw.

Eloquently put I completely agree, experience and skill comes with its fair share of problems for a Blood Angels Space Marine!!
Characters and Veterans should be the only ones that display the vampiric side of the chapter.

I would love to see reasonably handsome Blood Angels with longer hair; why on earth would such an aesthetic chapter be skin heads? Space Hulk seems to have covered this to an extent (but I still think their hair should be longer) in the models, but the artwork shows the helmeted marines as being bald and thuggish beneath. I would also like to see a few masks appear (though, as an Angels Sanguine player, I am biased) and more ornate armour. Fangs are good, but should not be too prominent, and high collars like Mephiston's are a definite no.

The long hair and more sculpted faces should be prevolent in the line and file marines certainly, no bald heads!!

Argastes
10-09-2009, 17:30
Frankly, I don't want to see actual fangs on anyone but Mephiston (i used the tip of an x-acto knife to remove them from my SH sergeant), but yeah, I agree that I would like to see some of the bare heads sculpted with a slightly 'predatory' cast to their features if that makes any sense, because that's how BAs are usually described in the fluff and depicted in the art--not actually fanged, but with a sort of unsettling sharpness underlying the beauty of their features. And yeah, how about some actual hair! The Corbulo, Tycho, and Mephiston models have good hair, as does the old metal BA tactical sergeant if anyone remembers that model (can't find a pic of him at the moment, unfortunately). I don't like bald marines in general... I long for the good old days when all Marines except chaplains had hair.

Fallen DA
10-09-2009, 17:50

Something of a Blood theme going on there :rolleyes: Kind of like a Vampire...! Will look forward to seeing those models though...

Fallen DA
10-09-2009, 17:55
I would love to see reasonably handsome Blood Angels with longer hair; why on earth would such an aesthetic chapter be skin heads.

Maybe with handbags and high-heels just to finish off the look :cool: Prefer mine to look old worn and battle hardened. Looking like you flick hair out your eye's whilst screaming "Get some" firing your bolter on full auto..... NO :wtf:

Hicks
10-09-2009, 18:00

I am so afraid that they will do something like that. The new codex has ruined SW for me, this better not happen to the BA too. Both are my favorite loyalist founding legions along with the WS and I don't want another of them going from an army that inspires me to an army that makes me cringe.

Argastes
10-09-2009, 18:30
Maybe with handbags and high-heels just to finish off the look Prefer mine to look old worn and battle hardened.

Blood Angels have always had hair; look at Tycho, Corbulo, Mephiston, and so forth. Asking for BAs without hair is like asking for SWs without beards. If you want bald, scarred-up Marines, don't play BAs.

Imperialis_Dominatus
11-09-2009, 13:31
I am so afraid that they will do something like that. The new codex as ruined SW for me, this better not happen to the BA too. Both are my favorite loyalist founding legions along with the WS and I don't want another of them going from an army that inspires me to an army that makes me cringe.

Soon every Chapter will have a character like this.

Petay1985
11-09-2009, 13:35
Soon every Chapter will have a character like this.

Part of me weeps that this may be true... :cries:

Souleater
11-09-2009, 14:02
Something of a Blood theme going on there :rolleyes: Kind of like a Vampire...! Will look forward to seeing those models though...

Er...one of us has a malfunctioning Sarcometer...I'm not sure if it is yours or mine... :angel: