PDA

View Full Version : The Man of Adamantium

Shibboleth
09-09-2009, 12:41
That's Iron Hand Straken's nickname, or other nickname, but as far as I know 'Adamantium' is not a real metal (which isn't the issue) but a Marvel comic's invention. So wouldn't it be copyrighted by them?
Can't GW think up another word for their invented substance, like they did for Ceramite or Plasteel...? or did someone in GW maybe think it was a real type of metal? :confused:

Dr. Hellbeast
09-09-2009, 12:43
That's Iron Hand Straken's nickname, or other nickname, but as far as I know 'Adamantium' is not a real metal (which isn't the issue) but a Marvel comic's invention. So wouldn't it be copyrighted by them?
Can't GW think up another word for their invented substance, like they did for Ceramite or Plasteel...? or did someone in GW maybe think it was a real type of metal? :confused:

Awesomantium?

Grimtuff
09-09-2009, 12:43
You really think Marvel has dibs on the word and concept?

Wikipedia disagrees.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamantium

Shibboleth
09-09-2009, 12:46
You really think Marvel has dibs on the word and concept?

Wikipedia disagrees.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamantium
Well, I would have thought so, if they invented it. I'm sure they'd get sued if they started trying to use GW's signature terms.

Gav2k
09-09-2009, 12:46
I was under the impression adamantium is a general fictional metal, not a Marvel invention. I could be wrong though.

However if this was the case then anyone can use it (to my knowledge, Runescape uses Adamantium armour?).
Also, isn't Mithril a Tolkein invention? Lots of fantasy adaptions use this metal.

catbarf
09-09-2009, 12:47
Promethium, on the other hand, which equates to gasoline, is found on the period table.

grissom2006
09-09-2009, 12:50
The term Adamantium has been going around for years long before Marvel ever decided to pick up on it and started using it. I've seen black and white sci-fi movies with it mentioned.

Cervantes3773
09-09-2009, 13:33
I think Marvel made up "Vibranium".

Yeah. I know.

Condottiere
09-09-2009, 14:07
I think Tolkien mentioned that Silmarils were harder than adamant, but mithril seeems to be the mythical metal of choice in Middle earth.

Bloodknight
09-09-2009, 14:09
The term Adamantium has been going around for years long before Marvel ever decided to pick up on it and started using it. I've seen black and white sci-fi movies with it mentioned.

That's probably because it's almost the Latin word for Steel. ;)

adamanteus -a -um [hard as steel].

adamantinus -a -um [made of steel].

adamas -antis m. [the hardest steel , adamant]; poet., [anything firm, unyielding, durable].

Joewrightgm
09-09-2009, 14:35
I think Tolkien mentioned that Silmarils were harder than adamant, but mithril seeems to be the mythical metal of choice in Middle earth.

I've heard it mentioned that "adamant" refers to the hardness of diamonds. He uses it several times in the Lord of the Rings to describe Barad-Dur.

Schlupp
09-09-2009, 14:47
Adamantan is a chemical strukture, its a cycloalkane. Its the simplest diamondoid type.
So no Marvel invention this time.

djinn8
09-09-2009, 15:09
I pretty adamant that Marvel didn't make up the word.

Condottiere
09-09-2009, 15:14
In terms of trademarking, all you need is a unique name. However, Marvel, or Disney now, trying to sue you for using a similar name for a similar substance probably won't hold water, as it seems fairly much in the public domain.

pookie
09-09-2009, 15:59
mithril seeems to be the mythical metal of choice in Middle earth.

which GW stole to name a Silver Paint...

JHZ
09-09-2009, 16:21
What's the problem? Terminator armours are made with adamantium plates, the bows of Imperial cruisers are made of adamantium (which is why they get better armour save on the front), etc. It's not a new thing.

which GW stole to name a Silver Paint...
Just GW? What about Dungeons & Dragons, Ultima Online, Nethack, Gemstone IV, The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, IV: Oblivion, EverQuest, RuneScape, Shadowbane, Dark Age of Camelot, Diablo, Lineage II, Tales of Symphonia, World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy, Mabinogi, MapleStory, Patapon, Star Ocean, Cabal Online, Harvest Moon, Runes of Magic, Kingdom Hearts and Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Just to name a few who have used the term. The reason is that Tolkien Estate never trademarked it, so it's free for all.

adamas -antis m. [the hardest steel , adamant]; poet., [anything firm, unyielding, durable].
Like "Her derriere was most adamas"?

Condottiere
09-09-2009, 17:02
In the cloudy land of the lamas,
Placing my hand on her pajamas,
Discovering beyond hope
When proceeding to grope,
Her derriere was most adamas.

Lisiecki
09-09-2009, 17:57

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Grimtuff was trying to be polite about this.
The earilest refrence i can think of to Adamantium is when in Greek Mythology, the Cronus castrated his father Ouranos using an adamant sickle.

The word Adamantium goes back to the Greek myths, it basically means "really damn hard metal"

massey
09-09-2009, 18:56
Yeah, the term "adamantium" goes back to early sci fi. As others have said, "adamant" and variations of it have been around forever. But "adamantium" itself, referring to an indestructible metal, was used before Marvel ever got their claws on it. Marvel just made it well known, which is not enough to copyright.

CKO
09-09-2009, 19:26
Interrupts the wonderful debate just to inform everyone about the joy this thread has given me.

Finn
09-09-2009, 20:16
In the cloudy land of the lamas,
Placing my hand on her pajamas,
Discovering beyond hope
When proceeding to grope,
Her derriere was most adamas.

You just made my day, sir.