PDA

View Full Version : 500 points of Empire

Sirroelivan
09-09-2009, 12:37
I've decided to get rid of my Warriors of Chaos and join the sons of Sigmar. Been writing a few lists since, but going to start out with 500 points to avoid the "too many unpainted stuff" syndrome.

Characters
Warrior Priest
-Additional Hand Weapon
-Heavy Armour

Core
10 Archers

20 Spearmen
-Shields
-Sergeant
-Standard Bearer
-Musician
+Detach: 5 Crossbowmen
+Detach: 5 Handgunners

Special
5 Pistoliers
-Musician

greendan
09-09-2009, 12:56
It looks okay.
Although i think at 500pts you can get away with having smaller infantry blocks.
How about something like this?

warrior priest
+2 hand weapons & heavy armour

knightly order (5)

swordsmen/spearmen (15)
+standard & musician
handgunner detachment (5)

swordsmen/spearmen (14)
+standard & musician
handgunner detachment (5)

And if you wanted to expand to 750pts which is'nt a great deal more painting ;)

pistoliers (5)
+musician

great cannon or helblaster

That'd be a good starting force. Has a little bit of everything. I think Empire can be quite useful in smaller games being fairly cheap and versatile.
Hope that helped a little. :chrome:

Jind_Singh
09-09-2009, 16:40
I've decided to get rid of my Warriors of Chaos and join the sons of Sigmar. Been writing a few lists since, but going to start out with 500 points to avoid the "too many unpainted stuff" syndrome.

Characters
Warrior Priest
-Additional Hand Weapon
-Heavy Armour

Core
10 Archers

20 Spearmen
-Shields
-Sergeant
-Standard Bearer
-Musician

Special
5 Pistoliers
-Musician

Welcome to Sigmars chosen relam! I also just joined the Empire ranks and am frantically painting the army too. Heres some food for thought, and I actually strongly agree with the above poster. At 500pts if you can field even 2-3 core units you are laughing! So I would consider taking 1 unit of Knights, 2 smaller core units (even in 15s), and then lots of handgunners for the points left behind. Give the warrior priest a great weapon (assuming you have the model), and your good to go. At 500pts the pistollers are good but the horde army approach for 500pts will be terrifying for the foe! And if you dont want/like knights then take the fast cav instead. I also recommend outriders at this points value - just to unleash 15 shots at the ememy!!

PeG
09-09-2009, 19:59
I agree with the other posters, you need something that actually can kill things in combat. Also as a general hint swords are usually considered better than spears mostly because they die slower.

williamwolfes
27-12-2010, 22:50
I'm going to play few 500 pts battles as well and my army is quite simple but brutal. I don't know if this is any good idea but please comment on that.

Captain = 102pts

Full p. a.
SoMight
Enchanter sh.
Barded warhorse

2x 10 Halbardiers = 100pts

Steam Tank = 300pts

castlesmadeofsand
27-12-2010, 23:09
I'm going to play few 500 pts battles as well and my army is quite simple but brutal. I don't know if this is any good idea but please comment on that.

Captain = 102pts

Full p. a.
SoMight
Enchanter sh.
Barded warhorse

Steam Tank = 300pts

that list is ilegal.

Torpedo Vegas
27-12-2010, 23:26

Characters
Warrior Priest
-Additional Hand Weapon
-Heavy Armour

Core
10 Archers

20 Spearmen
-Shields
-Sergeant
-Standard Bearer
-Musician

Special
5 Pistoliers
-Musician
I'd go with Halberdiers instead of Spearmen, since you are fielding a relatively small number of them. You may want to consider doing like the above poster said, and going with Knights with a bunch of handgunners, or maybe adding a mortar, as few armies can field that much firepower in such a small game. Since you have full command on the spearmen, your sergeant can absorb some challenges if need be, so I'd give the Warrior Priest a great weapon instead of an additional hand weapon.

Captain = 102pts

Full p. a.
SoMight
Enchanter sh.
Barded warhorse

Steam Tank = 300pts
This list is SUPER illegal. You have to follow % allocation. 25% Max Lords, 25%max Heroes, 25% minimum Troops, 50%max Special, 25%max rare. A steam tank is 300, way over 25% of 500, you're gonna have to re-wrtie this list.

williamwolfes
28-12-2010, 12:30
I didn't build an army for long time, sorry for silly mistakes.

This is another attempt :)

1 Hero Captain Wolfes 102 Full p.a. + Enchanted sh. + Barded warhorse + Sword of Might
5 Core Black Guard of Morr 131 Full p.a. + Lance + Sh. + Standard bearer
10 Core Handgunners 80 Handgun
1 Rare Helblaster Volley Gun 110

Torpedo Vegas
28-12-2010, 17:15
I didn't build an army for long time, sorry for silly mistakes.

This is another attempt :)

1 Hero Captain Wolfes 102 Full p.a. + Enchanted sh. + Barded warhorse + Sword of Might
5 Core Black Guard of Morr 131 Full p.a. + Lance + Sh. + Standard bearer
1 Rare Helblaster Volley Gun 110
I'd drop the volley gun for a mortar and grab an extra knight. Big units are the way to go in 8th, and Calv isn't really a front line choice anymore, they are more suited for flanking and support, so if you are going with your main fighting force being Knights they need more men to make sure they survive the step up attacks.

williamwolfes
28-12-2010, 18:30
I'd drop the volley gun for a mortar and grab an extra knight. Big units are the way to go in 8th, and Calv isn't really a front line choice anymore, they are more suited for flanking and support, so if you are going with your main fighting force being Knights they need more men to make sure they survive the step up attacks.

Hmmm... I like this idea of having more knights ofc :evilgrin: coz I've got quite few of them in my collection (20 Inner Circle Black Guard of Morr + Templar Grand Master & 20 Knights of White Wolf + Templar Grand Master), but I have quite bad experience of using mortars. All my battles where I was using mortars been lost due to the fact they or miss or explode (I've got 4 of them :confused:)

What you say if I would convert HVG to additional 4 knights? or 5 dropping enchanted shield for standard one?

Torpedo Vegas
28-12-2010, 18:32
I'd go with more knights, you have lots of firepower from the handguns, so you should be fine.

williamwolfes
28-12-2010, 18:33
I'd go with more knights, you have lots of firepower from the handguns, so you should be fine.

Why you are thinking that HVG is not good idea? This is both psychological and powerful long range weapon.

Agoz
28-12-2010, 18:42
Its actually a fairly short range weapon with 24" range, and with long range penalty, you'll likely be hitting on 5's most of the time, given its cost and its chance to blow up, there are probably better options.

Torpedo Vegas
28-12-2010, 18:47
I only ever take it in armies when I don't have loads of handgunners. What 20 Handgunners can do a Helblaster MAY be able to do slightly better, its a big gamble.

williamwolfes
28-12-2010, 19:34
Yep, guys - you are all right, I've forget yet again about new 8th ed. rules. I'm keep thinking in 7th ed. sorry.

I will try to maximize knights numbers and I will try it how it goes.

Thank you all for help. I will post here results may be little report.

Final ver.

1 Hero Captain Wolfes 89 Full p.a. + shield + Barded warhorse + Sword of Might
10 Core Black Guard of Morr 246 Full p.a. + Lance + Sh. + Standard bearer
10 Core Handgunners 85 Handgun, musician

Speak you soon,

WW

Torpedo Vegas
28-12-2010, 19:59
I'd be worried about the handgunners being charged, but If you hang back this shouldn't be an issue. I'd deploy the Knights and Captain separate, in case your opponents fields vanguard or scout troops, then have the captain join the knights later on. Bu the list looks solid enough.

williamwolfes
30-12-2010, 06:32
I will do it that way :)

Do you think SoM in not too much for my captain? Or should I just give him lance?

About Knights - should I set them in 5's? There is no champion than only 5 attacks with S6 than 5 with S3?

Thank you for support!

Torpedo Vegas
30-12-2010, 06:42
Depends on unit size. 5 wide is standard, 6 wide if the unit as 11-12 knights in it. Its what I do anyways.

williamwolfes
01-01-2011, 00:21
Happy New Year to all!

Battle lost :( than after army swap I manage to win :cool:

First Battle: Meeting engagement

To start with I was very unlucky :mad: Only unit of knights manage to start normally. Then I couldn't do much anyways due to the terrain; 3rd turn I've end up with flank attack of over 20 Chaos marauders with great weapons -.- then my captain lost in second turn of fight with chaos champion on foot with biting blade :wtf: shield and chaos armor. On the end of 3rd turn my knights decided to run away (probably because their Captain died :o). Than my Handgunners have been charge by two units of Chaos marauders - one of them been decapitated in first turn by guys with great weapons.

Second Battle: Pretty much ordinary Warhammer scenario

Battle was nice and pleasant – I did similar tactic to my opponent in previous battle. I did my best to charge Knights with my Chaos Marauders on flank and chopped them down. I actually fought them twice mainly due to the Empire captain who manage to kill all ma champions in challenges (two from Marauder units and general) and because of those heroic deeds he was nominated as a Man of the Match. (at least miniature was mine :evilgrin:)

I can honestly say it would be much better if I’ve got or more shooting or large blocks of swordsmen/halberdiers.

Knights? I am extremely disappointed with their performance, over-prized and under statisticated

I’m hoping I will be able to play next game next Friday but I still don’t know how many points I can spend.

Speak you soon,
WW.