PDA

View Full Version : Skink General

CharlyGordon
09-09-2009, 15:17
In a 1000 point game with a skink chief as you general how would you equip him? I want to try a no Saurus force to surprise my opponent next week and I`m sliding towards the idea of putting him on a terradon and him joining a terradon unit.

The army will probably be skinks, kroxigors, swarms, terradons and 2 priests.

How would you equip him?

inq.serge
09-09-2009, 15:25
Isn't there a +1ld helm?

Onisuzume
09-09-2009, 15:51
Yeah, it also adds 1AS, costs 50 points so that'll be it.
I'd also give it light armour, shield, and either a blowpipe or javelins.

You could also mount it on a steggy (ancient) with the warspear.

Also, stay away from swarms... they cost too much for what they do.

CharlyGordon
09-09-2009, 17:46
Thanks. I might just drop the swarms and go for the stegadon then. The helm is also a good idea.

Cant wait to see my mates face!

Keller
09-09-2009, 17:48
I would say the +1 Ld helm is important. If you are doing a non-saurus army, you are going to need all the help you can get to boost your low Ld, even with the cold-blooded things may fall apart quickly.

I`m sliding towards the idea of putting him on a terradon and him joining a terradon unit.
I'm not too familiar with the new Lizardmen, so they may have an exception I am unaware of. However, by the BRB, characters, even those on flying mounts, can never join units of fliers.

mossel
09-09-2009, 18:51
skink characters on terradons can... special rules in the lizardmen book. now you know :)

Onisuzume
09-09-2009, 19:48
I would say the +1 Ld helm is important. If you are doing a non-saurus army, you are going to need all the help you can get to boost your low Ld, even with the cold-blooded things may fall apart quickly.
Its a differance of about 12.5% chance to pass an Ld check between Ld6 (68.1%) and Ld7(80.6%), so yeah, its worth it.

I'm not too familiar with the new Lizardmen, so they may have an exception I am unaware of. However, by the BRB, characters, even those on flying mounts, can never join units of fliers.
They have a special rule allowing that. So yeah... go skinks!
All they need now is fast cavalry and maybe a chariot (culchans, not cold/horned ones).

N810
09-09-2009, 20:00
skink characters on terradons can... special rules in the lizardmen book. now you know :)

Yep we have the only exception, also only terradons can land in woods. :p

ps. Terradons basicly fill the role of fast cav.

w3rm
09-09-2009, 22:16
My friend 1000pt list looks something like

Cheif on normal steggy with warspear

20 Saurus

20 or 24 Skinks

10 Temple gaurd

A steggy at 1k will be hard to get rid of unless you have some good warmachines. What army are yu fighting that should help us out a little more.

Cortomaltese
09-09-2009, 23:46
All they need now is fast cavalry and maybe a chariot (culchans, not cold/horned ones).

and Stegadon are pretty the same of chariots :) hit even harder, and have lots of better options too :)

anyway, for a 1000 skink list, why don't try to rest in theme: 2 cohorts for kroxy baby-sitting if u need a little punch, or naked if u need baits; 2-3 units of skirmishers to annoy and herass with posion, terradons, the steggie OR some shooting pack (sallies or razor..), priests as flavour :)
it's a quite good army: horde style, but with some good options.
u can even consider to use 2 skink chiefs, choose from:
-the leadership booster (on foot, next to the big part of the army)
-the warspear carrier (on steggie, even ancient one)
-the terradon upgrader (with some good weapon, in an unit of 3-4 to give some better strenght)

Onisuzume
10-09-2009, 15:33
and Stegadon are pretty the same of chariots hit even harder, and have lots of better options too
And cost a few hundred points each, yes...

CharlyGordon
10-09-2009, 15:57
Play against pretty much everything. Thanks for all the suggestions. You make a very good argument for the helm. At the moment Im looking at this.

Skink Chief on a stegadon and sacred stegadon helm. (seems in chrecter too which is nice)

Skink Priest

10 Skinks Skirmishers

10 Skinks Skirmishers

10 Skinks Skirmishers

10 Skinks Skirmishers

3 Kroxigors

3 Terradons

Got around 50 points left over.

Desert Rain
10-09-2009, 16:29
Stegadon Helmet with either light armour+shield or a stegadon.

If you just want to be hitty you can always give him the War Spear but I think that the +1 Ld is more important overall than the extra hittyness of the war spear build, if the chief is going to be your general.

Kayosiv
10-09-2009, 19:50
Skink Chief on a stegadon and sacred stegadon helm. (seems in chrecter too which is nice)

Skink Priest

10 Skinks Skirmishers

10 Skinks Skirmishers

10 Skinks Skirmishers

10 Skinks Skirmishers

3 Kroxigors

3 Terradons

Got around 50 points left over.

Some options.

Get a 4th Terradon (if you have the model)
Upgrade 1 Kroxigar to an ancient
By the skink priest some dispel scrolls or other goodies
Upgrade the Stegadon to ancient
Put the chief of a terradon and the priest on a stegadon (you will need to drop a skink skirmisher unit to do this).

Also I would honestly take away a skink skirmisher unit and put in a Salamander. You have tons and tons of short range shots that are great vs no armor and high toughness, but what are you going to do against high armor low toughness models? The Krox and Stegadon will work great if they can get to them, but it'd be nice to have some range capable of doing it.