PDA

View Full Version : Naval Battles

kaubin
09-09-2009, 18:56
I just finished reading the Dark Elves Army Book and there seems to be a lot of naval battles in the world of Warhammer. I`m just wondering if they ever made rules for them, like having pieces of scenery (ships) with movement speeds, ramming, boarding, and having access to sea monsters. Seems like it would be a ton of fun to make up those rules based on fluff if they didn`t, you could even have mounted cannons and what not for dwarfs and empire players, floating dark elf fortresses with sea dragons and what not.

Grunge
09-09-2009, 18:57
Like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_O%27_War_%28game%29)?

Lycannus
09-09-2009, 18:58
yeah, they did, ages ago.
It was called Man O War
something like that, I think it was similar to BFG in terms of basic rules.

The Red Scourge
09-09-2009, 19:07
And there were some stuff in the legendary Generals Compendium :)

Keller
09-09-2009, 19:11
Also, in addition to Man O War, there were some rules for naval battles to be played in WHFB written in the General's Compendium. You would design a ship of a certain size, which could be row, sail, or steam powered, outfit it with a crew and a few warmachines and have at it. The rules detailed ship movement, combat, as well as crew-combat, so you could board and fight it hand-to-hand.

I never got around to playing a naval skirmish, but it did seem interesting. I played in a large battle at a Gamesday, wherein I controlled a ship as part of a seige defense; it played pretty well. I would like to try it out sometime, but I don't think many people in my group are too interested in putting together ships and learning the rules.

Condottiere
09-09-2009, 19:39
The magic was way over the top.

Avian
09-09-2009, 21:21
And made no kind of sense either.

A decent shot at fitting naval actions into FB (rather than the other way around): Ships in Warhammer (http://www.avianon.net/downloads.php?f=rules_ships_scengen)

Longshanks
09-09-2009, 21:57
I may be the only person who thinks this, but I think it would be pretty cool if they resurrected Man O War.

Tohellweride
09-09-2009, 23:06
Man O War suffered badly from the sheer amount of card counters involved. An updated version would be very welcome, but would need stream lined a bit.

enygma7
09-09-2009, 23:51
Yeah, Man 'O War was great fun, if a little random. I remember games where one side lost most of its ships, only to steal the enemy fleet with some boarding actions.

If you want to do some fantasy naval gaming then check out spartan games who do a game called uncharted seas with some fleets that are close enough matches for empire/bretonnia, dwarves, chaos dwarves, high elves, dark elves, orcs and undead.

kaubin
09-09-2009, 23:57
Thanks for those rules Avian, the Sea Battles section was everything I was imagining naval battles to be except written down. I'd also love to have different troop options of sea creatures and various classes of ships for various races (i'd expect wood elves or bretonnia to have faster ships as it would complement their play style better). Was that in man o war?

Cherrystone
10-09-2009, 00:59
I think it was similar to BFG in terms of basic rules.

It was nowt like BFG, much simplier,

Man O War suffered badly from the sheer amount of card counters involved

Agreed. I still play but have created a record sheet so that no card templates are needed and very few counters, less visual but plays just as smooth.

ZeroTwentythree
10-09-2009, 03:26
I may be the only person who thinks this, but I think it would be pretty cool if they resurrected Man O War.

I would also love a reissue. I enjoyed the game a lot and just recently dug my stuff out of storage and hope to get some games in soon.

Man O War suffered badly from the sheer amount of card counters involved. An updated version would be very welcome, but would need stream lined a bit.

Agreed about too many cards, but if you've got the space to keep them out of the gaming area, it's still a good game.

Condottiere
10-09-2009, 09:24
The only mercenary I remember is the guy that absconded from the Empire with his three galleys and their mortars. Possibly the Vikings as well.

mrtn
10-09-2009, 09:42
I recently played one of the scenarios from the General's Compendium, the pirate treasure hunt one. It was very funny.

lilljonas
10-09-2009, 11:00
For the people who long for a resurrected Man o War, you can probably get away with a slightly modified Trafalgar (http://warhammer-historical.com/acatalog/Trafalgar.html), since those rules are a lot more streamlined and still very warhammerish.

dcikgyurt
10-09-2009, 12:06
The Southampton (UK) store ran a Warhammer Ahoy! campaign which was great fun, especially the rules for falling overboard.

The rules are in the Generals Compendium as mentioned above.

ZeroTwentythree
10-09-2009, 13:43
I'd also love to have different troop options of sea creatures and various classes of ships for various races (i'd expect wood elves or bretonnia to have faster ships as it would complement their play style better). Was that in man o war?

Yes. High Elves got a double move, Dwarfs were slower but ignored the wind direction since they used steam powered ships, etc.

Condottiere
10-09-2009, 13:44
Little buggers also had submersibles and war balloons.

Rockgut
10-09-2009, 13:55
We have played several sets of naval rules in our area. We have about 6 people who have scratch built ships or converted them from some of the mega-blocks Pirates of the Carribean ship (they look really great).

Some of the best rules we have found are here:

http://www.spiritofthegame.org.uk/warhammerahoy/index.htm

mrtn
10-09-2009, 20:12
Thanks for the link Rockgut. Any idea how close they are to the stuff in the general's compendium?

Avian
10-09-2009, 20:19
They seem to be quite a bit different. The GC compendium combat rules, for example, were nothing like normal Warhammer Fantasy combat rules, while these are standard.