PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Run Orcs

w3rm
09-09-2009, 22:00
Day dreaming in school today I came up with this Idea. Basically it revolves around an orc Arrer boy line with about 6 units of fast cav with bows as harassment troops and for baiting and fleeing. The punch in this list would come from a bsb in a chariot an orc chariot 2 giants and a wyvern. I was thinking..

Black Orc Warboss on a wyvern

Orc Bsb In a chariot

gobbo shaman
(magic def)

gobbo shaman
(magic def)

10x Arrer Boyz
music

10x Arrer Boyz
music

10x Arrer Boyz
music

10x Arrer Boyz
Music

10x Arrer Boyz
music

21x Night Goblins w/ bows
2x Fanatics

5x Wolf Riders w/ bows and spears
music

music

music

music

5x Spider Riders w/ Bows
Music

5x Spider Riders w/ Bows
Music

Orc Chariot

Giant

Giant

Comes out to about 2250 Pts. Think its to shooty? Not enough combat? A cheesy gunline? please discuss.

Note( I dont think its a cheesy gunline because it still requires tactics to use. With all of the fast units to bait with the trick will be flanking and outmaneuvering the enemy than gangin up with cav giants chariots and wvyvern on the units your orc archers have weakened up. With a good general this should be a very efeective army, but not very forgiving on mistakes like most orc armies.)

Drachen_Jager
09-09-2009, 22:33
If your battlefield has two or three huge hills in your deployment zone you might stand a chance against some armies. Otherwise you're never going to find places for more than half of your archers to stand where they have LoS.

If you're playing against Warriors of Chaos, Brettonians or other well armoured opponents you're screwed with or without hills.

One practical shooty tactic that you can use very effectively if you know your opponent is bringing a big nasty large target (especially Daemons!); 60 Night Goblin archers, deploy them in a block and watch the look on his face when he realizes that all 60 can shoot at his large target, so long as he's not T 7 or higher you should be able to mince most big baddies pretty quickly.

w3rm
09-09-2009, 22:38
But the main theme of the army is not the archers. Its the fast cav and the giants and the wyvern flanking and baiting and ganging up on smaller weakened units and negating ranks and such. The archers serve as kind of a distraction as the opponent thinks "aha weak orcs I will crush them" while that is less than 500 pts of your army. And about deployment, you can always deploy some 5x2 and reform them as your assault units move up and free some space.

Aranel
09-09-2009, 22:44
i would think about bumping up your magic capabilities. the level 1 scroll caddie build generally favours attcking armies which can remove mgaic threats quickly. Maybe take a couple of level 2's with some defensive items or take the bsb off the chariot, mob two of the arrer boyz together and turn them into normal boyz and give him Morks spirit totem. Are you going for an all orc force or do you have acess to Goblins? some Night goblon archer with added fantics might be fun.

All in all though its a great idea! I hope it works out.

w3rm
09-09-2009, 22:48
I have some night goblins archers in there with 2 fanatics :evilgrin: I do agree on the magic part though. Maybe one could have a scroll and a stone and the other with the stealin staff. I would have to drop some upgrade though.

Drachen_Jager
09-09-2009, 22:53
By my calculations your archers, standing shoulder to shoulder take up 67 inches of a normally 72 inch table. I don't think it's possible that you're going to effectively position them.

I don't see anything in your list that has even a moderate hope of defeating an opposing block of troops with the exception of the Wyvern IF it gets into a flank/rear. There is absolutely nothing there that I would be really concerned about in that list, the Giants and Wyvern would get all my attention and once I'd defeated them there's nothing there that can hope to do any serious damage.

It is truly a suicidal list but you seem determined so go ahead, try it out. I think your time would be more productively spent paying attention to your teacher though...

w3rm
09-09-2009, 22:57
She wasn't talking :P. Maybe your right. What do you suggest I add for a little more punch while keeping the original idea the same? More chariots? Maybe a block of say 24-8 orcs?

Drachen_Jager
09-09-2009, 23:19
A block or two of Orcs would go a long way, at least they have a chance of winning combats... Personally I'd scratch all the Orc archers and replace them with goblins, they're pretty useless either way but the goblins are much cheaper.

skuller
09-09-2009, 23:22
I think you need around 4 spear chukkas to be able to deal with high T or really good armor that way you can create a killzone you sent your baiters and instead of the bsb chariot or giant charging it 4 bolts from the chukkas

w3rm
09-09-2009, 23:29
good idea
skuller

Cortomaltese
09-09-2009, 23:40
if not for Mork Totem, i don't see any use for a BSB in an army based on baiting, fleeing and shooting..
furthermore i find a lack of things capable to pass trough an average/good armour save, or a big static combat resolution..
and, remember the animosity: it can often ruin any kind of idea about redirecting or baiting with orcs
why don't go a little heavy on warmachines, for example?
and u can put your scroll caddies on chariot too (maybe with the bauble, for a suicide unit after the scroll is expired) for a little more punch and flanking role

last two cents, quite silly but maybe in line with your theme: you can use the goblin standard of poisoned attacks (in a big big unit of night goblin archers), or since the large number of rally test u will have to do, the horn of leadership: that can be a nasty combo even for a kind of lesser terror bomb, using giants and the vivern

Urgat
10-09-2009, 11:00
Nice idea, I'd just be worried about them hitting, then running, then... running again, and running again, and oh, battlefield border!
Already thought of something like that, and discussed it with my friend, actually.
His reaction was "so, you want to run around me all the game with me trying to get to you and never succeeding? No thanks" (he plays warriors of chaos :p). Of course, I wasn't going to take arrer boyz, just wolf riders with bows :p
Well, voila :p

A block or two of Orcs would go a long way, at least they have a chance of winning combats... Personally I'd scratch all the Orc archers and replace them with goblins, they're pretty useless either way but the goblins are much cheaper.

That's not true, 10 orcs at 6pts versus 20 night (or common) gobs at 3 (or even 4) pts, it's the same (or more expensive) :) At least the orcs will pay for useful choppas, better Ld at T4, and be easier to deploy.

warmong3r
13-03-2010, 19:53
I think that'd be a fun army to play against. You would have a problem with fitting them all and getting line of sight though. My biggest problem in a game is choosing which units to attack. That'd probably work on my dwarfs.

Malorian
13-03-2010, 23:05
I once played with th idea of a ton of wolf riders running around and shooting their bows... but my woodelves d it so much better :)

Really the idea could work but hit and run is a complex tactic that is all too easily ruined by animosity.

Witchblade
14-03-2010, 06:20
OnG gunlines need warmachines.

Dutch_Digger
14-03-2010, 10:01
keep the list as is, and replace some arrerboyz with spearchukkas and rock lobbers.

it will cost as much, has better deployment options and does more damage against almost anything

6 fast cav units is overkill, you will have trouble maneuvering without luring the enemy in your other fast cav.

T10
15-03-2010, 09:43
While Arrer Boyz are great for their points they simply aren't equipped to wipe out an enemy army using only S3 bows. You need artillery to punch through enemy armor.

Also, units of 10 look good on paper, but you'll probably get a better effect if you take units of 15 (arranged 5 x 3 rather than 10 x 1) for a bit of extra ranks and ability to take casualties.

-T10