PDA

View Full Version : Things needed to restart 40K

jdelrio22
09-09-2009, 23:08
I just had a quick question about 40K.

I played for a bit back in the 4th edition but ended up stopping due to lack of support/lack of time to play/paint.

I am considering playing Daemonhunters and I have a copy of the codex at this point.

Things that I think I have:

Dice, measuring tape, paint, primer, and the codex.

I know that I need the new 40K rulebook.

Would I be getting things that are essential in this pack: Warhammer 40,000 Gamers' Edition from the GW website?

Any other things I should consider grabbing?

I don't really quite understand what apocalypse is other than that the scale of the fights is larger so if I could get some insight on that it would be awesome.

Also - Forgeworld items like psycannons for vehicles - can you field those in a typical game or do you need the Imperial Armoury books and permission from the other player to field those?

Thank you for your time.

Also the Land raider redeemer - can you field it in a daemonhunters army or not?

ntin
09-09-2009, 23:30
Not to convince you otherwise but the Daemonhunters and Witchunters codex are from 3rd edition and updates for them are not on the horizon. You may get more bang for your buck playing a newer revised codex, unless your heart is really set on Daemonhunters.

The Apocalypse and Planetstrike books are optional and not required for normal play.

It depends with Forgeworld, some are variant weapons or equipment that Gamesworkshop did not produce while others are standalone models using Forgeworld rules. You need to check you codex to see if it is normal game legal or not.

You may not use the Land Raider Redeemer variant as it appears only in the 5th edition Space Marine codex.

LonelyPath
10-09-2009, 01:37
Like ntin said, Daemon/Witch Hunters have been left behind a bit where updates are concerned and they are not as powerful as some other armies, but they can be fun to play. Try a "counts as" army if possible and see how that works before investing in miniatures, it will save you alot of money if you find they are to your liking.

Absolutionis
10-09-2009, 02:55
I am considering playing Daemonhunters and I have a copy of the codex at this point. As was said, Daemonhunters are getting old and GW seems to have no notion of giving them an update anytime soon.

Things that I think I have:

Dice, measuring tape, paint, primer, and the codex.you may want templates. The small blast, the large blast, and the flame templates are all that is required.

I know that I need the new 40K rulebook.Yes you will.

Would I be getting things that are essential in this pack: Warhammer 40,000 Gamers' Edition from the GW website?The Gamer's Edition comes with the rulebook, which is essential. It also comes with standard templates (small, large, flame) which you probably will want because almost every game uses them. The other markers that come in the set and that container are entirely unnecessary but they're kinda cool.

Any other things I should consider grabbing? Models.

I don't really quite understand what apocalypse is other than that the scale of the fights is larger so if I could get some insight on that it would be awesome.Apocalypse and Planetstrike are pretty much like Cityfight/Cities of Death in that it is a completely optional and nonstandard expansion to Warhammer. They're not commonly played. You don't need them at all.

Apocalypse is games of 3000+ points. Most normal games are around the 2000pt range and rarely more.
Planetstrike is the concept of defenders defending a panet against a slew of attackers landing on the planet.

Also - Forgeworld items like psycannons for vehicles - can you field those in a typical game or do you need the Imperial Armoury books and permission from the other player to field those?If the codex says you can have it, then only then can you have it. Imperial Armor is really just extra stuff you can have and field just for fun with your opponent's permission. Don't expect to come across Imperial Armor stuff in competitive and even most casual games.
As an aside, if Forge World makes a model that is allowed in the codex, you may use it. You're still using the unit in the Codex, but you're simply using another model. This is allowed.

Also the Land raider redeemer - can you field it in a daemonhunters army or not?The Land Raider Redeemer is only in the 5th edition Space Marines codex and not the Daemonhunters Codex. The Redeemer is also not listed under pg30 in the list of allowable "allied" units. Thus, you cannot take a Redeemer in a Daemonhunters army.

mdauben
10-09-2009, 06:15
I am considering playing Daemonhunters and I have a copy of the codex at this point.
I hate trying to talk a player out of an army they have decided on, but just be aware of the the drawbacks of the DH army. :(

As others have said, the codex is rather dated at this point, and there are arguments about how some of the inducted rules work with the newer IG and SM codexes now. Even aside from that, the DH were never really a powerhouse list, even when they first came out. They have character out the wahzoo, but they are very expenesive with limited options in "pure" Daemonhunter or (even worse!) "pure" Grey Knights lists.

Speaking of expensive, all the core DH troops (Grey Knights, GK Termis, Imperial Stormtroopers, and Inquisitor Retinues) are only available in metal miniatures. This can make the DH one of the most expensive armys to collect in terms of cash outlay.

On the other hand, if you do just love the fluff or the miniatures go ahead and do a DH army. They are a very cool army to collect, with some interesting conversion possibilities in the retinue figures, and if you can afford it some great "dress up" stuff from Forge World (in the form of vehicle pimping accessories). There is more to the "hobby" than just having the most competative army on the block! ;)

Lord Gabriel Lupus
10-09-2009, 10:58
If you want to do a "Daemon Hunters" army without worrying about the restrictions implicit in the older DH codex, why not try taking a Space Marine army and adding elements from the DH codex? ie, take an Inquisitor or squad of Grey Knights

That would then give you some feel of a DH army while also having the benefit of an up to date codex

Eldoriath
10-09-2009, 11:09
For the rulebook I'd suggest to get assault on black reach simply because it's an extremely priceworthy box. You get the small and convinient rulebook and a small ton of models for about the same price as the large hard-inbound version cost. You can either keep or sell off the models and end up paying practically nothing for the book as well.