PDA

View Full Version : Ordering FW

Clone-Trooper
10-09-2009, 03:19
Hellllooo Warseer..ians ,

I just placed an order to FW for a couple of things ...

Renegade stubber team
Renegade miltia weapon arms
Tallarn sniper Team
Renegade militia command
Death korp heavy tank upgrade

And i just recieved it today , after stopping by the post office i opened it up as soon as i got home and to my surprise ( or complete horror ) ... Mismoulds, snaps and missing parts !

The banner guy was missing a hand from the militia command , the tallarn sniper guns were snapped and some of the militia arms are missing ! And there were some bigg-ish holes in the heavy tank upgrade thing , but no biggs , fixable with some GS .

So i emailed them with my complaint , anything else i should do ? Anything like this happened to you :S .

By the way , this is my second time ordering from FW , first time i got 2 stes of renegade torso's , which came out really good minus the horrific mouldlines .. but nonetheless great !

Soo.. Any insight fellow warseerites ?

Imperius
10-09-2009, 03:23
Welcome to forgeworld, a motley assortment of fanboys and dodgy businessmen with low quality control.

Its really scary ordering from there because you want a good product, but just send them a letter or email with regards to how 'your order came damaged beyone belief' and they'll send you a second one, usually free of charge.

eyescrossed
10-09-2009, 03:32
I ordered Scabeiathrax (giant Great Unclean One) and there was absolutely nothing wrong with him.

Vhalyar
10-09-2009, 03:39
Emailing them may or may not get you a timely reply. Try calling them.

That's what I did about my crappy Malanthrope torso piece and they shipped me a new one without asking questions.

Dangersaurus
10-09-2009, 03:42
Welcome to forgeworld, a motley assortment of fanboys and dodgy businessmen with low quality control.

If I believed in sigs, this would be my new one.

...but their service is EXCELLENT. :rolleyes:

Demkaio
10-09-2009, 04:30
I had ordered the Ork nob bikers last month (Aug 8th)
But I still have not recieved them :S its been over a month and I have sent them an email a couple days ago...still waiting for a reply

Mannimarco
10-09-2009, 05:45
your wasting your time emailing them, calling them is better but you have to keep at it as they are often engaged (i once lost a few hours trying to get through to them about a missing order) just dont call at lunch time or you have no chance at all lol

and about the quality control? ive buying forgeworld models for years (the amount of money spent could have sent me on a pretty sweet holiday but i made my choice lol)

so ive got the 3 daemon lords, no problems with casting at all, at least 2k points of red scorpions all fine, around 50 death guard termy bodies (aborted death guard 1st company attempt) all flawless and a few dozen plague marine kits all perfect, ork warboss on bike flawless, a warhound titan again flawless

ive heard several people complaining about the state of their models but i have to say ive never seen any of it

Beast
10-09-2009, 08:07
There are alot of postal strikes on at the moment so that "may" be why your order is late?

Hicks
10-09-2009, 08:21
Anything like this happened to you :S .

I don't buy from them anymore because everything I ever got (except brass etche stuff) had some kind of pretty big flaw. I won't pay those insane prices for poor quality.

Satan
10-09-2009, 08:36
Never had any issues, and I've got a pretty substantial amount of stuff. I don't get why US customers usually complain about their deliveries either. Mine always arrive in a timely manner. But I'd guess people have some gripes with their castings which usually come with lesser or greater amounts of excess resin tabs? Always a pain removing those, especially from the Baneblade.

Valaska
10-09-2009, 08:47
I have 3 broadsides from them, their resin is terrible.. Their models are great lol... I suggest an ultra sharp blade to clean them after running water over them and a toothbrush, an electric one will help, each piece on the sprue.

AndrewGPaul
10-09-2009, 08:50
I've had problems with their finer models - Elysians, BFG fighters and the like - too much flash, poor mould filling (especially on the BFG Eldar fighters), but the larger models (Thunderbolt, Chimera door, BFG ships) tend to be OK, apart from the horrendous mould lines. Service is terrible, though - spent 90 minutes in the queue at Salute to buy a Thunderbolt because the guy taking orders was so slow! :(

Baragash
10-09-2009, 08:54
Spent between 1k and 1.5k with them on tank accessories and standard sized models mostly, not yet received anything in a terrible state, and have been able to fix the issues with GS, which has helped improve my sculpting skills.

grissom2006
10-09-2009, 10:41
Only ever had 2 problems with FW called them on both occassions first time had to send back mispacked items BL Termi pads in DA packaging got a free postal address and new pads sent within a week. Second time i was missing a part of my order in the box i promptly recieved the replacement. I've always had a better service from using FW over GW even when when items have been out of stock FW has treated me better by telling me on ordering when they expect a item in unlike GW does. Wouldn't care but when GW is out of a Metal casting it was the case they'd do a run on them when pointed out to them now you have to wait until they decide to cast some more.

Vaktathi
10-09-2009, 10:43
I've never had a major problem with FW stuff, a couple infantry miscasts, but nothing that anyone notices once the stuff is on the table, although I've never purchases a larger vehicle kit.

The last time I ordered from FW, the stuff was across the atlantic and at my doorstep 40 hours after I hit "send".

BeastsofWar
10-09-2009, 10:46
your usually better to call them, due to the big influx of emails they will have. They have always been happy to talk on the phone if theres a problem so long as you dont loose your temper. When your playing with resin things do break. As for poor quality control it may be due to outsourcing. I know i have had a few warped parts but nothing as serious as what happened with you.

BoW- John

RCgothic
10-09-2009, 10:55
Clone-Trooper, whilst it's obviously very upsetting for this to happen to you, your experience is not typical. Make a list of all the defects and the call forge world. I've not once heard of them refusing to replace a part.

djinn8
10-09-2009, 12:50
I've placed three orders with them so far and had problems with all three.

The first was an order for a bunch of ammo crates, which took 6 months to arrive (I was refunded however).

The second order was for a Sister of Battle Repressor and Rhino Door set, which arrived very quickly. Problem was that the resin doors were so thin it they had holes in them and the Repressor kit had shrunk so much that it was unuseable. A replacemenmt was sent, though this was shrunk as well, followed by another replacement (although this one was only select componants). End result was a tank with half the componants to small to fit on th rhino chassis and no I didn't end up with two, I had to send the faulty ones back.

Third order, well I'm still waiting on that. Ordered it over a month ago. Place your bets whether I'll get it this year or not.

BigBadBull
10-09-2009, 17:04
Yeah I have ordered a ton from them , and it can be hit or miss...
Reaver top notch
Thunder hawk... Twisted and bent hull
BFG good
Mk 2B LR... all the resin parts were 8/10 the correct scale....
Terrain stuff no mold lines excellent casts...

as I said hit or miss.
If you email them you may never hear back but may just find a box with replacements.
it's best to call them.

If international, get a International prepaid phone card or use Skype

Sholto
10-09-2009, 17:08
Definitely phone, rather than email.

Quick tip for dealing with tiny bubbles in FW casts - get some hard wax (used for hardwood flooring repairs) and rub this over the bubble. The wax fills the gap and all you need to do is rub the surface smooth. Much quicker than mucking around with GS, which I try and avoid. Worked a treat on my TX-42s (codename Bubble Butts).

Sholto

RCgothic
10-09-2009, 18:02
Forge World have just replaced 1/4 of a reaver titan for me, even though all I did was call up to ask advice on how to deal with a clear fluid leaking out of some pieces. I'm seriously impressed.

Ravenheart
10-09-2009, 18:06
Forge World have just replaced 1/4 of a reaver titan for me, even though all I did was call up to ask advice on how to deal with a clear fluid leaking out of some pieces. I'm seriously impressed.

Yeah, the service is extermly impressive.

Once 4 sets of BA Rhino Doors I ordered got lost in the mail somewhere. I called the guys at FW and they send me new ones.

Just don't try to sort out things by e-mail; it just doesn't work.

Rick Blaine
10-09-2009, 18:45
What's so impressive about replacing faulty product?

The sooner they outsource to China, the better.

RCgothic
10-09-2009, 18:58
The fact that it's done for pieces worth more than 125 no questions asked, even when I wasn't even asking for it?

Haunted_Undead
10-09-2009, 19:35
You really need to phone. Never e mail!

The only problem I had recently was when they declined my order for Vraks part 3 and yet put my order through 2 days later for my new guard stuff. Hoping to get the book sorted soon though

precinctomega
10-09-2009, 20:17
It sounds like the OP's order was filled by the work experience guy.

I've just taken delivery of three titans, and they all seem fine (yes, some minor miscasting and fixing up, but that's to be expected with these big lumps of resin).

I'm delighted to see FW keep production in the UK. We need all the jobs we can get!

R.

Demonrich
10-09-2009, 21:13

RCgothic, so did they say anything about this? I am tempted to phone them up about mine too. I've been putting it off as I have void shield generators and other details stuck firmly in place on the section that is leaking, which would be a pain to remove and transfer. Not to mention that I have pinned the three engine block sections together.

I'm wondering if they replaced it so quickly because they know of the problem, and there is no fix?

Dangersaurus
10-09-2009, 21:31
RCgothic, so did they say anything about this? I am tempted to phone them up about mine too. I've been putting it off as I have void shield generators and other details stuck firmly in place on the section that is leaking, which would be a pain to remove and transfer. Not to mention that I have pinned the three engine block sections together.

I'm wondering if they replaced it so quickly because they know of the problem, and there is no fix?

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. You paid a premium price for UNCURED resin. These guys are supposed to be professionals, and they're putting out crap like this?

This stuff could very well be toxic and definitely is carcinogenic, and RCgothic is impressed they replaced PART of the kit?

I give up. I need to get into the crack, er I mean resin business.

Wolfguard Gnarl
10-09-2009, 21:36
Forgeworld is hit and miss, sometimes you get outstanding products from them and other times you get rubbish. Their customer service is top notch though so make a list of all the broken and miscast pieces and then give them a phone call. That is the best and fastest way to get a hold of them.

Hicks
10-09-2009, 21:38
Okay, this is getting ridiculous. You paid a premium price for UNCURED resin. These guys are supposed to be professionals, and they're putting out crap like this?

This stuff could very well be toxic and definitely is carcinogenic, and RCgothic is impressed they replaced PART of the kit?

I give up. I need to get into the crack, er I mean resin business.

Never though of it, but yeah it could very well be dangerous. :eek:

MistaGav
10-09-2009, 21:51
On a slightly related topic, when ordering how long does it usually take to fufill? Is it like any other online store i.e. should be in a few days or longer because of all the casting?

Bunnahabhain
10-09-2009, 21:59
Very hit and miss. If it's in stock, then they'll normally have it out their door in a day or two, so it's then just however long the postage takes to you.
If it's something that's currently very popular, or it's near Christmas, so they need to cast more of whatever it is, then you could be waiting 2, 4,6,8 weeks...

Neffertech
10-09-2009, 22:02
I made an order near the end of July on a Friday, had it in Maryland by Wed. If it's not something they're back ordered on, they're pretty fast. However I always get express shipping by going over 250.00 pounds. Get a group together if you have to to pass that magic number.

I've had to call them for problems as well, and it took me 30 min of dialing to not get a busy signal. Once I spoke to them they were excellent, and replacements took about a couple of weeks (less than 2) to arrive. Not a huge amount of time, but not as fast as the initial delivery.

tk7
10-09-2009, 22:05
I'd echo the advice about calling them, I wouldn't rely on an email. FW frustrate me to be honest, they have great sculpts but shocking quality control.

Some say they have excellent customer service, but they have to as they have to replace or resend so many faulty or incomplete orders.

I love their stuff, and I will buy more of it, but I expect the worst when buying.

I do sometimes buy FW from the warhammer world store, and have the benefit of hand picking from what stock they hold, but mail order is a lottery.

I just wish they would sort their QC out, if they had given 3 of the 4 valdor tracks I ended up receiving half a glance, they would have seen they were miscast, two of them badly.

Finnith
10-09-2009, 22:13
I ordered a couple of FW dreads which were fine.

Only gripe was the lack of sign on delivery postage which meant I had 80 worth of stuff sat on my doormat all day. If it would have been nicked I wouldnt have had a clue and they would have had to send out a replacement/refund. I didnt even get an email when they order had been processed/sent out.

Binky
11-09-2009, 08:25

Seems to be a common issue, I have leaking engine blocks too, coming out from between the join where the rear vents attach. In my case however the body section is pretty much completely painted and glued together, so replacing the bits is not an easy option. Figure it will have to stop eventually, so guess I'll just have to wait and touch up the paintwork when it does, as luckily both areas are reasonably well concealed and fairly small (at the moment).

Doesn't seem to have put me off FW though, I half painted a Tau Fire Warrior at the weekend and now have this little voice pointing out that if I painted up a few more Tau then maybe it would be nice to get a Manta to go with them.

Ravenheart
11-09-2009, 08:36
What's so impressive about replacing faulty product?

The sooner they outsource to China, the better.

You don't do that stuff often, Rick, do you?

Most companies are a real pain in the ass when it comes to replacing a faulty product, even if it costed no more than $20. Especially if you don't have any actual proof that things are missing.

Sholto
11-09-2009, 09:26
Some discussion of uncured FW resin here - http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=13108

If the piece is painted and you don't want to return it, it seems you have two options (1) UV lamp or (2) apply some catalyst or resin base and one or the other will react with what's there and set-up solid.

Sholto

RCgothic
11-09-2009, 09:50

They implied on the phone that there was no fix. Said it was something to do with a bubble of something or other in the resin and that it probably won't ever fully cure. They asked which parts were affected, and I gave them a list:

Apocalypse Missile Launcher (Main Body)
2 Outside Rear Engine Blocks
Forward Bulkhead of main carapace where the head joins.
The Upper Waist piece.

Because I only used citadel superglue and greenstuff to assemble the titan, a little bit of knife work and prising managed to seperate the pieces undamaged, with the exception of the missiles on the apocalypse launcher. I had mentioned that I thought they'd be difficult to seperate, but they said they'd replace the entire unit.

Um, ok, didn't know that. Probably shouldn't have been manhandling it then.

Binky
11-09-2009, 10:01
Adding the other part of the resin is an interesting idea, difficult bit is getting to the actual bubble of uncured stuff though, I haven't glued the void shield projectors on yet, so guess I could try drilling down into the centre of the engine block through them and then either draining through there or trying to add (and mix) the other resin part (I've got a couple of cans of resin lying around).

Bunnahabhain
11-09-2009, 10:34
How about just flushing out the uncured resin?

Drill a small hole in the problem area, and inject a solvent. Suck out WITH A SYRINGE, repeat until the solvent isn't bringing any resin out with it. I'd try whatever solvent you use to shift the mould release agent, as we know that doesn't hurt cured resin, and do it outdoors, as it will generate fumes.

Alternatively, drill two small holes, and just keep injecting the solvent through one, to push solvent and uncured resin out the other.

Either way you do it, you'll be left with some solvent in the model, so leave it for a while in a well ventilated space until the volatile solvent has safely evaporated.

This is just an idea- all the FW resin I've had had been cured properly.

EDIT PS When the revolution comes, the health and saftey ninnies, and all their lawyers will be the first against the wall....

Imperius
11-09-2009, 15:52
Sure if you really want to bust your ass to pull some liquid out of a model that you can just replace free of charge.

Sholto
11-09-2009, 16:10
Sure if you really want to bust your ass to pull some liquid out of a model that you can just replace free of charge. But if you have already painted it, that is not such an attractive deal.

Sholto

Finnith
11-09-2009, 19:09
How about just flushing out the uncured resin?

Drill a small hole in the problem area, and inject a solvent. Suck out, repeat until the solvent isn't bringing any resin out with it. I'd try whatever solvent you use to shift the mould release agent, as we know that doesn't hurt cured resin.

Sucking out uncured resin? Just a heads up in case someone tries this.

Google says:

Resin Poisoning:

Symptoms

* Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
o Severe pain in the throat
o Severe pain or burning in the nose, eyes, ears, lips, or tongue
o Loss of vision
o Throat swelling (which may also cause breathing difficulty)
* Stomach and intestines
o Severe abdominal pain
o Vomiting
o Burns of the esophagus (food pipe)
o Vomiting blood
o Blood in the stool
* Heart and blood vessels
o Hypotension (low blood pressure) -- develops rapidly
o Collapse
* Skin
o Irritation
o Burn
o Necrosis (holes) in the skin or underlying tissues

This could be totally wrong for the sort of resin used in FW but if it stops someones skin dissolving whilst blood pours from every orifice then my work here is done.

RCgothic
11-09-2009, 19:16
Reasons I don't use anything stronger than citadel superglue to bond models:

There are instances (such as the above issue) where it is a good idea to be able to unbond the pieces again.
Accidental Damage: A snapped joint is preferable to a snapped piece.

grissom2006
11-09-2009, 19:34
Their are means by which to suck the stuff out that do not in anyway shape form involve you placing you mouth over it to get it out. If anyone actually remembers lessons in creating vacuums and suction in school.

Superglue isn't without it's own hazards heat it up and you can make a rather nasty gas and give yourself a very big headache or worse.

Bunnahabhain
11-09-2009, 19:53
I was assuming you'd be using a syringe to both inject and withdraw the solvent, and that it was so obvious that you'd be using some kind of tool, it didn't need to be explictly stated....

Hrw-Amen
11-09-2009, 19:57
Never had any huge problems either with fiures or larger modelsHad a small bubble hole in the side of a Malcador but easily filled with GS.