PDA

View Full Version : DoC no GD or SC 2250

slayerofmen
10-09-2009, 10:41
righto well i bought the book before i got to find out that playing the army makes you a huge tool, so instead of never playing the army i thought id give a list a shot that didn't get to OP in my view so here goes:

herald of khorne, armour of khorne, fireblade, juggernaut of khorne

Herald of Tzeentch, power vortex

Herald of Tzeentch, Master of sorcery (lore of metal most likely, or death if facing elves)

herald of nurgle, Palanquin, slime trail, noxious vapours, bsb, great banner of sundering

10 pink horrors of tzeentch unit for tzeentch herald

10 pink horrors of tzeentch unit for tzeentch herald

15 plaguebearers bunker for BSB

18 bloodletters, standard, champ

18 bloodletters, standard, champ

5 Flesh hounds warmachine hunters

5 Flesh hounds warmachine hunters

2 bloodcrushers bunker for herald

3 Flamers

Kriegschmidt
10-09-2009, 11:13
Ok, I'll advise you to take what I say with a large dose of salt because I've only played a couple of games of Warhammer :)

That looks like a nice list, if possibly a little "underpowered". In my limited experience, it is imperative that you make your heralds join a unit (ignore me if you'vve already decided to do this! :D). I think the same is true in WH as in 40k (where most of my experience lies) - i.e. that Heralds are really just a squad upgrade and will not do much on their own. There are exceptions of course, like the flying Tzeentch herald who whizzes around, blasting magic all over the place. But looking at your list, I think you need to make sure you keep every one of your heralds in a unit.

E.g. the Herald of Nurgle. You've got a nice unit of 16 plaguies there, which are pretty tough. But with the Herald attached, they are EXTREMELY hard to kill. This, coupled with that Icon of Eternal Virulence, means that combat resolution will normally be in your favour and your plaguebearers will often win combats by default.

Likewise, your heralds of Tzeentch bump your Horrors' Ward save up to 4+, which as my last game proved, is a big improvement, especially on a small (x10), T3 unit.

I fear that you're allowing people's opinions to affect you too much. You're obviously not the type to create cheesy lists that will smash everyone mercilessly, so cut yourself some slack :) There will always be some people who say, "bah, daemons are totally broken, you're a tool if you play them". But if you write yourself a nice, varied, balanced list - which can include a Greater Daemon if you want one - no-one can complain, except those people who will complain anyway, and then, do you really want to play with them?

Hope that helps! Go on, stick in a Bloodthirster....... ;)

slayerofmen
10-09-2009, 12:54
okay i should have put that in, also thought id covered it with the "heralds go in obvious places" but lol fair enough

khorne herald goes with the bloodcrushers, to A) get him stabbing faster and B) to give the unit a MR of 2

herald of nurgle goes in bunker of plaguebearers and both the Tzeentch heralds go in the pink horror units.

i didnt include a GD becuase t hey are a huge point sink considering the people i play with who make it an aim to make you pay for huge investments of points in single models

Tzeentch Lord X7
10-09-2009, 17:32
magic resistance doesn't stack you choose the highest so either way the blood crushers have magic res 1 and also drop the standards off of the horror units because you are giving away free VP and add in 2 more flamers with the leftover points

Bazzal
11-09-2009, 00:47
hey first off very nice list i think is fairly balanced yet still powerful and scary. its very similar to my own bar the crushers which i tried and just never liked them so i switched to flesh hounds, less armour but more wounds plus MR3 :D good hindy hole for the herald as the movement is high and hes still safe plus on charge 10 s5 from the dogs hurts no mater who you are. but try the crushers out for yourself and see what you think of them.

other than that i think a f.cmd for the plaguebeaers is always a good thing as in challanges saves tyour herald for a turn and usually the unit providing time to counter
charge with ohter units and for the times you draw comabt, shouldnt be to often but when it does its anoying.

tthats it really i think i cut my bloodletters to units of 12 just to fit 2x5 flesh hounds in for more units that kick ass :) it may take a wee bit from your tryin to be balanced away but gives you 2 units flyers, 2 units 16" movement with herald to help and a solid back line with wall, magic and shooters down a flank

good luck in your games hope to hear some battle reports :-)

slayerofmen
12-09-2009, 15:12
+1 to cast is a waste of points? how and as for the giving away VP id think the output balances the risks.

what do others think?

@bazzal: thanks for the comments nice to see the list is already working

Jind_Singh
14-09-2009, 05:53
righto well i bought the book before i got to find out that playing the army makes you a huge tool, so instead of never playing the army i thought id give a list a shot that didn't get to OP in my view so here goes:

herald of khorne, armour of khorne, fireblade, juggernaut of khorne
pretty much how we all build our heralds of khorne, the only time i change mine is if he is in a chariot so i give him soul hunger - reroll to wound 1st round of combat
again standard
give this one master of sorcery instead - everyone likes the magic lore that gives you 'the beast cowers' to pin cavalry units in place
herald of nurgle, Palanquin, slime trail, noxious vapours, bsb, great banner of sundering
i normally stick with slime trail - the herald could be made level 1 castor in which case the basic spell does the same. I sometimes take the other icon - the one that makes enemy castors -2 to cast as I find this standard is TOO TOUGH to handle for the enemy
10 pink horrors of tzeentch, icon of sorcery

10 pink horrors of tzeentch, icon of sorcery
SOOOOO many people say dont take the standard, free VPs, etc. Whatever, I take it all the time for them and have yet to lose the game because of it - I keep them out of harms way, zap off the basic missle on a 3+ which means even with one power die you can throw a decent spell at them!
16 plaguebearers, standard, Icon of eternal Virulence
yah, but i find these gys dont need an icon - they are tough to move, so save the points
18 bloodletters, fullcommand
OK, drop the plauge bearers standard, not needed! BUT you have to get one of the Khorne ones! My personal best is the one that adds D6 to your 1st ever charge, it's crucial and game winning at times. Theres been times I declared a charge from afar with this bad boy and yet made combat! Also the enemy doesn't always expect it so TA DA I"m in your face!
18 bloodletters, fullcommand
as you only got 1 herald of khorne you might as well drop the command on this unit and put more bloodletters in the other unit.
5 furies

5 furies

3 bloodcurshers, full command
WOAH! Drop that command there me boyo - no way they need it. Musician? They wont get a draw! Either kick ass or lose, no draws! Champ - OK so at least he gets an extra attack but since unit is so small he wont even get look-out-sir and can be singled out. The standard? Likewise you either crush people or get your ass handed back to you on a plate! SO do you really want to lose those 100vps for free? Use the points and get more flamers/furies, etc, stuff that will affect the game for you
3 Flamers, pyrocaster

basically heralds go where its obvious, furies hit warmahines, nurgle holds the middle and so forth

overall a nice non-broken list, your only downfall could be lack of fast moving units like hounds/seekers/fiends, etc. Enough in the list to keep most people busy but without making them lose all hope before you even roll to see who gets 1st turn!
The other nice thing is that it's a varied list offering magic, combat, and tactical options so you wont be getting bored anytime soon.
And finally it is tame enough that you'll be challenged as well as providing challanging games to opponenents so great stuff mate!

slayerofmen
06-10-2009, 11:59
updated list see first post

Red_Duke
06-10-2009, 12:10
erm, flesh hounds arent warmachine hunters, they'll take pretty much anything barring perhaps Knights of Chaos, and even then they may spank them if they get the charge.

you appear to have 3 rare at the moment as well btw.

Bloodcrushers are good (ok by daemon standards, but good by most other armies) and standard with the d6 charge banner on them is evil, given they're looking at a nasty charge range.

Flamers are pretty much the best and most undercosted unit in the game, so you can't really go too wrong with them really... Plenty of core is always nice to see, and core units are nails with heralds in them.

slayerofmen
06-10-2009, 12:19
sorry bad editing

Jind_Singh
06-10-2009, 17:23
the bloodletters are very wet without heralds - another thing is the herald of khorne will be picked out as there is no look out sir for him,
i would actually downgrade the 2nd letter unit, pump the nurgle men to 20 stong, and then make a huge letter unit with whateve is leftover - this will be psych tactic as enemy will be like - oh no, monstor size unit of letters,, woe is me - which will (hopefully) distract them from the vunerable crusher unit.

slayerofmen
07-10-2009, 10:49
was thinking what if i dropped the crushers altogether and chucked the herald on Jugernaut into a letter unit then make it slightly bigger, with left over points grab some more /a second unit of flamers and two smaller "flanking" units of deamonettes