PDA

View Full Version : Tomb King Magic Heavy

Arguleon-veq
10-09-2009, 15:15
I must admit that I have thought for a while now that Tomb Kings just dont cut it in the magic phase any more but after trying to work out some lists today Ive realised that if you really for it you can have a very impressive magic phase. Here is what I was thinking.

High Priest; Cloak of the Dunes [Fly], Item of Ending Remains in Play Spells.
Priest; Scroll Item.
Priest; Casket, Item of Re Rolling Incantation Power.
Prince; Great Wep, Item of +1 Wound, Item of -1 Attack on Him.

15 Archers;
15 Archers;
15 Archers;
15 Archers

Units of this size will allow me to fight in 3 ranks as a combat unit at a push. Having the ranks should allow me to hold units for at least a little while.

Scorp;
Scorp;
Scorp;

These things can either help out those Archers once they get bogged down in combat. Or if need be go Warmachine hunting.

17 Tomb Guard; Icon of Free Reform, Full Command.

Tomb Princes unit, the Free Reform should help me to keep my lines clear of enemy troops with unexpected charges.

Catapult; Skulls of the Foe.

The usual artillery.

So in all this gives me 13 Power Dice [Equivelant anyway, but these always work] +1 Bound. That combined with a lot of FirePower and the threat of the Scorps and Tomb Guard for combat should at leats put up a fight against some of the better armies out there.

For magical defense I have;

6 Dispel,
1 Scroll,
-1 to enemy casting.

So what do you think? any advice?.

Enigmatik1
10-09-2009, 16:29
Hrm...if I were going to run a seriously magic heavy TK list, I'd make consider the following changes:

Your HLP should get Nefarra's Plaques (rerolling incantation power dice) it's wasted on the Casket priest since you can't use it to reroll the dice of the Casket itself. Also, I'd consider giving him the Collar of Shapesh for some semblance of a defense.

Instead give the Casket priest Enkhi's Kanopi (dispels remains in play spells) and maybe a dispel scroll.

I'd change my archer setup to 1-20 skeleton unit (put your third priest here with maybe the Staff of Ravening) and 2-10 skeleton units. The 20 skeleton unit can be reformed for a **** poor tarpit if push comes to shove. I tend to use 20-skeleton archer units to screen for my TG unit as it advances personally...but they never last long anyway.

A few other things I'd think about working in:

Giving my TP the Blue Khepra for MR2 on the TG unit. Conventional wisdom says this item it too expensive to take normally on a character. But other than the next option, we don't have squat in they way of magic defense.:mad:

Giving my Casket Priest the Staff of Sorcery. With the universal -1 from the Casket plus a +1 to dispel from the Staff, it makes spells much harder to cast against you. But that's a pricey investment and may require list juggling elsewhere to get the points.:(

Giving a Priest the Hieratic Jar. Having an ace-in-the-hole incantation is really worth the few points you spend on the item.:D

lcfr
10-09-2009, 18:08
Priest; Casket, Item of Re Rolling Incantation Power.

Imo Casket Priests are really only good for giving a shooting unit or the SSC an extra shooting phase, so unless this is a high priority for you I wouldn't bother w/it. Come to think of it though, without any Chariots or fast-moving units that will be sticking close to your other priests maybe it's not such a bad idea to have a strong shoot-incantation each turn. I would definitely give the priest w/one scroll the Kanopi that the HLP is carrying and then give the HLP the Hieratic Jar, since it can really come in handy at the end of the magic phase (Hierophant does incant last, right?)

Enigmatik1
10-09-2009, 18:57
Well, he does have one SSC...so plopping a Casket nearby is always a good decision. :D

I've always thought that the -1 to enemy casting is a grossly underestimated ability. In my last game, my opponent failed to cast 3 warp lightning spells because of that -1. If anything, because his list is rather static/slow, the Casket can be a good choice depending on your opponent. The only army I wouldn't field it against is Dwarfs because of their crazy leadership coupled with the fact that they don't use magic.

I'm a Casket junkie though and I tend to try to work it into all of my lists. Even my Elven opponents still save a few dice for it just in case I get lucky and roll boxcars.

I'm surprised that people are so ambivalent/dismissive towards Nefarra's Plaques. The ability to reroll your dice when you throw a 5 on 3D6 is worth the points imo (especially when you're like me and constantly roll low for incantations), but only on a HLP. Much like the Crown of Kings on a TK...but cheaper.

Edit: Yes, the Hierophant always incants last...onlythe Casket acts after it in the magic phase, if applicable.

mortetvie
10-09-2009, 22:41
Good advice all around but personally, some changes I would make based on experience:

Give the casket priest either golden ahnkrha or a collar of shappesh. Enemy shooting can ruin the casket's day and it is worth it. Collar would be decent if you have a ssc/archer unit near by so you can transfer wounds to nearby models at reletive low cost. If you give collar you can also give a scroll.

For LHP, cloak is definately a great choice but I'd go for hieretic jar as it will either get a spell through or eat a dispel scroll early wich will help you dominate magic later on. You can also load up on dispel scrolls too and make other mages more disposable/cheaper (just incase, no char is disposable except maybe the tomb prince). The kanolpi is great but SO situational and people will probably dispel it easily if they know it is coming so after the first time you use it...well *shrug*. I only use the kanolpi in big games where I can fit it in on a LP.

Also, a neat trick is to put the tomb prince in the catapults crew, if the catapult explodes on a 1, the prince will be still safe because he doesn't count as the crew as per the rulebook but he can cast his smiting on the catapult wich will definately draw out a dispel dice as well as keeping the crew safe from things like a giant eagle or what have you! Might want to also give him a shield so he can have a 4+ save if you want. When enemy gets closer you can move the prince into the TG unit wich should be nearby protecting the gunline.

For archer units, I'd try to do 2 units of 10 to redirect chargers or 1 unit of 20 and 1 unit of 10 and try to add a unit of 1 or 4 tombswarms. They are great as if you have a unit of 2 they can pop up anywhere and grab a table quarter for an otherwise stationary army not to mention they can give you a durable rear/flank charge bonus. On top of that and the main reason is against other gunline armies you can take out warmachines easily with them.

For special, I'd definately at least take a unit of 3-5 carrion as if you can get a good march blocking position you slow down the enemy and give you another few turns at least of shooting and at the least get the enemy to come at you piecemeal. Carrion are also good for war machine hunting as you can go 20" and fly them another 20" in magic phase. 2 tombscorpions is more than enough.

Infurion
11-09-2009, 08:03
For special, I'd definately at least take a unit of 3-5 carrion as if you can get a good march blocking position you slow down the enemy and give you another few turns at least of shooting and at the least get the enemy to come at you piecemeal. Carrion are also good for war machine hunting as you can go 20" and fly them another 20" in magic phase. 2 tombscorpions is more than enough.
You beat me to this. :) Take one unit of Carrion. Also, the Casket belongs in this kind of list, definatly.