PDA

View Full Version : Should I Continue With Imperial Guard or Start Tyranids Instead?

Richard Dean Anderson
10-09-2009, 16:11
Hello,

Carp. I have a little bit of a problem that I was wondering if you guys/gals could help me with. I just started to get into Warhammer like a week ago and bought my first army off of a guy on Warseer last week, Imperial Guard (Praetorians) which haven't come but I'm expecting later this week, and all was good. Then I was surfing the Games Workshop website and noticed the new Space Hulk game (Redux I guess), but I digress. I really like the blue and purple colour scheme of the Genestealers in that game and thought maybe I made a mistake on doing guard and maybe I should have done Tyranids.

I had two questions:

1.) Should I stick with guard because they just got a new book and their models are new and I just spent like 275 bucks on Praetorians, cause I still have to buy like 150-200 dollars of more stuff to have a 1,750 pt army. Or should I put those in a box and wait and do Tyranids now, cause from what I saw they are getting a new army book here in a little while and that way I will have my army all done and ready for when that comes out?

2.) I looked through the Tyranids book and didn't see that colour scheme any where, is it new or is it part of a Hive fleet that they didn't put in the book?

Thanks,

Duce
10-09-2009, 16:22
why not do guard and by the time you're done can either collect some Nids until the new codex comes out or if it happen s to come ot no wasting money buying the current codex and then new one?

or if you really like the idea of them why not get a force and play smaller battles until have an army done.

HsojVvad
10-09-2009, 16:35
Well since you started guard, just continue with what you have. Do you have to get 1,750 points? If you do, might as well continue with the Guards.

The rumour is Tyranids will come out, but you never know, GW can change their mind, the rumours are false or for what ever reason, Tyranids might not be released. Can you wait till they come out? If it does come out, it's 4 to 5 months when it's released. Why start something now, and you spend the money on the mini's, make and paint the mini's, and find a new paint scheme you like, then you have to start all over again :p

Or what you make now, your carni, or tyrant can be an invalid build and might not be legal anymore.

I say do both, (yes they are both hoard armies can be quit boring) but continue with your Guards and start small with the 'Nids, just make shure you will not change your paint scheme later.

Good luck in your descision.

Hypaspist
10-09-2009, 17:00
I'd make and play the guard (and buy a few more bits), and then save for the nids, and if the rumours are true and the nid codex comes out you can go Banana's with your cash getting any new sculpts that exist and not potentially invalidating your builds as/if they go out of the new codex!

otherwise you may end up like me, loads of models that might need more than a finishing touch! :eek:

Hicks
10-09-2009, 17:38
I would advise that you keep the guard since what you have bought happens to be a very characterfull and rare force.

Also, nids are a total WYSIWYG nightmare. There wargears are parts of their bodies, so you really have to know what you want your critters to have before assembling them (you can magnetize some like the tyrants and carnifexes, but this only goes so far). I would really hate to see all my genestealers with feeder tendrills become crap in the next book, it wasn't easy getting all those heads. I have absolutly no idea if they are going to be good in the next book or if their will be another no brainer choice I would rather use. It's not like the arm of a marine that you can gently snap off and change the powersword to a powerfist... feeder tendrills are a type of head. Do I really want to decapitate my stealers, greenstuff the joint and repaint the head? Of course not! (but the Broodlord with tendrills sculpt gives me hope).

Force this reason alone, I would advice against building nids models right now. You can start buying the big ones like carnifexes and magnetize them, but stear clear from building your infantry.

grissom2006
10-09-2009, 17:42
I'd hold off but if you do it make sure to download the FAQ for them as some of the Biomorphs are now redundant and have zero effect. If they will be brought back into rules or adjusted is anyones guess.

Sureshot05
10-09-2009, 18:33
You are suffering from shiny syndrome, a common problem for all on these forums. I would suggest that you should go to the store and flick through a few books and try and decide which one really appeals in terms of models. Most armies have one or two schemes that leap out of the water and make you think, yes, that is exactly the one for me ('cept maybe some of the codex chapters).

If after one month with the guardsmen you find you aren't interested then maybe think of switching, just try to prepare for the shiny syndrome.

Col_Festus
10-09-2009, 18:56
I would stick with the Guard. Apparently GW is planning on redoing the nids very soon, so if you started buying up stuff now, it may not even be useful come next spring.

As for the color scheme that's a genestealers scheme. Usually genestealers attack ahead of the main tyranid advance starting cults and sewing confusion. Because of this they rarely match the hive fleets color scheme. Instead having the different shades of purple.

Egaeus
10-09-2009, 18:59
At the moment I would suggest sticking with Guard exactly for the reasons you mentioned...their book is current and you already have the models (I am assuming of course that you still want to play Guard and aren't suffering from buyer's remorse).

If you like, you could pick up a few Tyranid units to paint up in the interim (the rumor is that they will be out early next year), even if it's just to break up the monotony of painting your Guard, as it's sometimes nice to have a change of palette and possibly style. While people are correct in saying a lot of the stuff doesn't work as it used to, I don't think they will invalidate a lot of the base models in the army...as long as you stay fairly conservative and choose "staple" models they should still be usable in a new Codex.

The paint scheme on the 'Stealers is their "standard" scheme from Second edition. While the Lictor used a similar scheme, the rest of the army was mostly red.

jsullivanlaw
10-09-2009, 19:25
Do a genestealer cult "counts as guard" army. You could use genestealers for ogryn, hybrids for veterans ect. Then just use your guardsmen for the cultists.

Captain Micha
10-09-2009, 19:37
Hello,

Carp. I have a little bit of a problem that I was wondering if you guys/gals could help me with. I just started to get into Warhammer like a week ago and bought my first army off of a guy on Warseer last week, Imperial Guard (Praetorians) which haven't come but I'm expecting later this week, and all was good. Then I was surfing the Games Workshop website and noticed the new Space Hulk game (Redux I guess), but I digress. I really like the blue and purple colour scheme of the Genestealers in that game and thought maybe I made a mistake on doing guard and maybe I should have done Tyranids.

I had two questions:

1.) Should I stick with guard because they just got a new book and their models are new and I just spent like 275 bucks on Praetorians, cause I still have to buy like 150-200 dollars of more stuff to have a 1,750 pt army. Or should I put those in a box and wait and do Tyranids now, cause from what I saw they are getting a new army book here in a little while and that way I will have my army all done and ready for when that comes out?

2.) I looked through the Tyranids book and didn't see that colour scheme any where, is it new or is it part of a Hive fleet that they didn't put in the book?

Thanks,

Stick with the IG for now. You've not got much farther to go. And the Nids are going to be getting a new army update in the near future. So if you did start nids you would have to be very careful in how you did your biomorphs and what units you are buying.

I'd personally hold off on the Nids because of that reason alone. Buying them now and "having a new army ready" when it comes out sounds good in theory, until you realize that Gw has a very nasty habit of making units that were popular in the last version of your codex useless, and over buffing the CRAP that you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole before. They are not quite as bad as they used to be about it. But the concept is still there.

You'd end up buying all new models all over again anyway.

Other reasons to continue your IG
1: Praetorians are awesome. You lucky bastard I envy you. I wish I could score some Praetorians.... or even just afford Mordians.

2: The Ig have an incredible range of models that can be fielded and still be viable

3: You've already got enough for a 1500 apparently. Which is what you should be playing at until you get used to the IG. So really you don't even need to spend more money on the IG.

primarch16
10-09-2009, 20:13
Stick with guard, the new rules rock and praetorians are pretty rare and cool models. Leave the tyranids for a while, they are underperforming in the world of mech and could be getting a new codex next year.

HsojVvad
10-09-2009, 20:49
Do a genestealer cult "counts as guard" army. You could use genestealers for ogryn, hybrids for veterans ect. Then just use your guardsmen for the cultists.

Excelent idea. Somone just made a post about what codex to use for Genestealer cult army. Most people said use the IG codex. There is even a link somewhere about, that someone did exactly this and even showed pictures and explained how he did it.

Not shure if you would be interested indoing something like this, espically since you love the Genestealer mini's.

Col_Festus
10-09-2009, 21:19
The person who did that Cult army based it off the Ork dex.

de Selby
10-09-2009, 21:48
Stick with the praetorians now you've got 'em. It's always a bad idea to start an army just before it gets a re-do, because you're bound to see all sorts of things you spent time on get changed so you have to do more work to get them useable again (although the last few codices have been pretty forgiving on this front).

Praetorians are quite unusual too, it would be nice to see an army. You shouldn't have to get up 1750 points just to play some games and see if you like them.

If you're still wondering about the genestealer colours, it's a traditional genestealer scheme from way back when tyranids were painted all sorts of colours, like this:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Codex_Tyranids_2nd_FCover.jpg

Googleness
10-09-2009, 21:53
I'll say stay with the guards as your army.

You can allways get yourself new minis you like and gather a new army.

Wolfguard Gnarl
10-09-2009, 21:54
Stick with your praetorians and continue building them up. If you find that you dont like them anymore, praetorians are a sought after army and you should not find any problems reselling them.