PDA

View Full Version : Terminator Sergeants

Mozzamanx
10-09-2009, 16:13
Ello,

for those who have had the pleasure of playing Space Hulk, you've no doubt noticed that the Sergeants stand well above the other Terminators. They receive bonuses in combat, give commands and are generally just better.
However, in 40k they are identical to the regulars. The one and only difference, is that he can take a Power Weapon, and even then that only applies to the shooty version.

Should something be done to make Terminator Sergeants feared? In my mind, these guys are one of the last spots before being promoted to Captain, so they deserve something tasty.

Would WS5 be so much of a stretch for them? They have been fighting for literally hundreds of years, so they should have an edge over the new Devastators. It also means they are as good at fighting as a Chaplain or Librarian, which seems about right.

Anything else that should be done for them? Maybe the option to buy a Relic Blade, or even unique wargear.

Duce
10-09-2009, 16:24
2nd wound maybe? or as you said BS 5 or WS 5, or maybe any weapon they take is mastercrafted? not overly deadly but the reroll on storm bolters or thunder hammers would be nice,a nd if lightning claws then they can reroll twice to represent more accurate swings?

Leeman Russ
10-09-2009, 16:35
In my opinion one of the biggest mistakes with the latest marine codex was dropping the option of allowing Terminator sergeants to purchase wargear or weapon options.

As Mozzamanx states, they're pretty much the last step before becoming Captain and so should be pretty nasty pieces of work.

If they had their weapon options back (limited armoury access, combi weapons etc) I think they'd be more 'fun' again.

Petay1985
10-09-2009, 16:53
Agreed terminator sergeants need something!! Even if only comparable to the Chaos Terminator Champions (+1A)!!

Gimp
10-09-2009, 17:18
In my gaming group there is a running joke that the Terminator Sergeant (shooty one at least) always dies first as in most cases the power fist is better than the power weapon.

Eldoriath
10-09-2009, 17:19
One more attack and/or WS5 would be nice, but that is only for the veteran sergeants (upgrade). A regluar sergeant could be a bloke, pretty much like the other blokes in the squad, but he has been assigned sergeant because someone must be in charge of the squad.

An funnily enough the fluff in space hulk suggests that powerfists are more common then power weapons. Dunno how it is, but if this is the case it's funny to see how the IG hands out PW to every sergeants, but only a selected few may take the PF (rule balance, I know. But still).

Kalec
10-09-2009, 17:22
Give the regular termie sarge an extra attack to compensate for him being stuck with just a power weapon, or give him a fist like the rest of his squad.

Hashshashin
10-09-2009, 17:35
Power swords are great in squad full of fists. He gets to attack at initiative.

But yeah they should get +1 WS or BS or even +1 I to compliment their PS.

Cervantes3773
10-09-2009, 17:58
I think terminator sgts are fine as is. The Space Hulk ones get better stats/abilities because of the scale difference.

While it might be more characterful to give them tons of options, I appreciate them streamlining the choice a bit.

And as far as extra attacks or WS go, terminator sgts are in the same first company as the rest of the veterans... they're all amazing warriors. The sgts just have better leadership skills. At the 40k scale, there is not that much of a difference.

wilycoyote
10-09-2009, 18:13
Hardly, in Space Hulk it simply a game mechanic to make them more resilient in close combat - originally reflected the power sword as opposed to fist.

In 40K terms +1 weapon skill is comparatively a far bigger jump and if it was used I would expect a points hike - you should not get anything for nothing.

NightrawenII
10-09-2009, 18:40
I was always wondering why shooty terminators have PF and sergeant PS, but thats just me.

brightblade
10-09-2009, 22:18
I would lean towards giving another attack and allowing limited use of wargear with a fair points cost for both. The idea of a sergeant with a relic blade (but he has to give up his storm bolter?) and one extra attack appeals to me. I would just be cool. Terminator, pwrsword, str 4? Seems odd. Should be a bit harder. Str6 seems fair.

Leftenant Gashrog
11-09-2009, 00:38
An funnily enough the fluff in space hulk suggests that powerfists are more common then power weapons. Dunno how it is, but if this is the case it's funny to see how the IG hands out PW to every sergeants, but only a selected few may take the PF (rule balance, I know. But still).

Actually that does make some sense, a Power Fist is basically an oversized power armoured arm/gauntlet fitted with a power field. Every marine squad has an artificer whose job it is to maintain and repair the marines power armour - which would include an ability to maintain and repair (at least) the non-forcefield related portions of the fist. The average Imperial Guard regiment probably wouldn't have a single technician with such knowledge, making the 'sharp bit of metal with a power field' far more practical.

As for Power Fists being more common amongst the Astartes - thats down to the Swords parry ability: anyone can take a big chunk of metal and bolt a power field onto it, but it'll be slow and clumsy - no good for parrying. Back in 40k 2nd edition Chaos Terminators had the clumsy but heavy Power Axes, Maces & Fists but lacked Power Swords (which had the same Parry ability as Space Hulk) which were stated to be a post-heresy development.

Col_Festus
11-09-2009, 00:41
Take a look at the new SW dex... Their terminator Sargs can take a saga.. same thing their Captains get.

Fo'Shizzle
11-09-2009, 03:44
Take a look at the new SW dex... Their terminator Sargs can take a saga.. same thing their Captains get.

Yeah but the space wolves are weird...

Imperius
11-09-2009, 05:12
It would make sense, they should simply be given +1 BS or WS, depending on if they are Assault marines or not.

DnD is better than Space Hulk... *runs away*

Petay1985
11-09-2009, 09:03
I think that going down the route of +1WS or +1BS although tempting is changing it too much...
...i think that +1A is simpler and makes more sense, plus we can use the points allocated in the chaos space marine codex for terminators champions to fairly price it = +10pts for +1A (IIRC?)